It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Durham statue destruction will not go unpunished.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 09:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: AMPTAH

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
It's erasing someone's history—their own—as simple as that. They deserve their ignorance.

My history began when I was born.

Before my birth, I'm simply "told what to believe" by others.

It might be nice to know what your people did before you were born—or not.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 09:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

How are we supposed to learn about and from history if we don't?

Try reading a book, if hey haven't been burned to ashes by then.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 10:00 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Here is an example of why they want history destroyed. The irony here is astounding since we are talking about the Confederacy.

Since history isn't taught anymore, here you go.

Cali wants to secede from the fed union. Why?

Cali doesn't want to abide by federal laws. Views those laws as an aggression against their ideals. 1 Example: Immigration. 1 Argument: Immigrants do the work Americans won't.

Welcome to the Confederacy

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Oh. So we don't need statues and local electorates can go ahead and decide what will won't be honored/paid for in their public parks?

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 10:04 AM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

Please cite a source.

My local library.

There are many sources, books, diaries, letters from military commanders and many from the soldiers themselves. Perhaps a trip to your local library would do you some good.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 10:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Cancerwarrior

I should say that 5,000 is actually an estimate on the higher end.

Harvard historian John Stauffer in the Harvard Gazette:

Though no one knows for sure, the number of slaves who fought and labored for the South was modest, estimated Stauffer. Blacks who shouldered arms for the Confederacy numbered more than 3,000 but fewer than 10,000, he said, among the hundreds of thousands of whites who served. Black laborers for the cause numbered from 20,000 to 50,000.

Here's Christopher Hamner, historian at George Mason University citing Yale historian David Blight, who puts the number much lower:

While there are isolated instances of African Americans serving in the Confederate ranks, there is overwhelming evidence that this small number represents rare and exceptional cases: historian David Blight estimates that the number of black soldiers in the Confederate ranks was fewer than 200. That small number represents some partial companies of slaves training as soldiers discovered by Union forces after the fall of Richmond.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Oh. So we don't need statues and local electorates can go ahead and decide what will won't be honored/paid for in their public parks?

We definitely don't need to tear down statues via a seething mob because we do not like them.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 10:09 AM
link   
I wonder if these 'anti' people know what fascism and Nazism means ? what a fascine is ? what it meant ? when it started ?

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 10:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Cancerwarrior

And there you have it. As I suspected, you had no sources to cite because you were just spreading neoconfederate revisionist myths. Is your "local library" a euphemism for your colon? Because I'm fairly certain it's from there that you pulled out that disinformation.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Sure, I will agree with the broad general statement that “few blacks were officially Confederate soldiers.” Few whites were, too.

If your sources are Harvard and Yale professors who were not there, and are going by "official" records that are often doctored to suit a narrative. (you do know that officially, almost no whites fought for the Confederacy either? Record keeping tends to be sparce when theres a war on.) These people often obscufate the facts to suit their narrative.

I suggest you read some sources from the people that actually lived in that time. General Forrest alone had 50 black Confederates that were part of his "Green Berets" Elite troops that served with him from beginning until the end of the war. And no, they were not forced or coerced, they did it willingly.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 10:16 AM
link   

I suggested you get actual books, written by the actual people who lived then.

But you would rather have someone else tell you what to think and believe.

Carry on, you're doing an outstanding job sir.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 10:19 AM
link   
I don't need the junkie punished .
I need that damn cartel of info ,get THEM.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 11:25 AM
link   

No, we don't. I'm pretty sure I stated such.

We can vote 2nd place trophies into museums though without calling it erasing history. Right?

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 11:27 AM
link   

I don't think the person who climbed the ladder to put the rope on the statue expected to go unpunished.

To some people, doing the right thing is worth the consequences. It's called believing in your cause.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 11:29 AM
link   

No, we don't. I'm pretty sure I stated such.

We can vote 2nd place trophies into museums though without calling it erasing history. Right?

Absolutely. A democratic solution might make everyone happy, even the ones who feel their history and culture are being erased by roving bands of communists and anarchists.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Did we ever need Nazi statues to remember what they did?

Don't see why we in the USA should commemorate German Nazis with statues in parks. They were German people with absolutely no connection to our American heritage. Confederate soldiers weren't foreign nazis most were young American farmers.

Civil war veterans and their descendants were/are American citizens. While some might see those statues as a twisted celebration of slavery, I see nothing wrong with commemorating those who fell or the historical events that took their lives and led to a Union victory.

My Uncle's family has owned land in NC for many generations. I spent summers on their farm, civil war graves were everywhere. Unmarked stones here/there is all that remained to commemorate them, some didn't even get that. Not everyone's "Johnny" came marching home.

Back in the day civil war soldiers were buried where they fell. I believe there's an effort to gather them up/give them a proper burial but I imagine some are against that too.

Forgive me for saying it but the winner of the Civil War was neither black/white, north/south. The winner was the Union. The union must prevail, that is above all things, America first.

I'm a woman of color, native/mexican American and a very dark one at that but first/foremost I am an American. I support the constitution of the USA and its rule of law. My family represents all colors, the majority have fought bravely and some have died defending/preserving our nation and our place in history.

There is a path for change within our system but it requires hard work/dedication. I guess vandalizing public property is easier and garners lots of attention. Instant gratification for the entitled few while taxpayers foot the bill and our rights take a hit, how effing typical.

Which causes get to willy-nilly sidestep the rule of law and who's the decider? As long as appropriate labels are attached, no rule of law applies and it's mob rule? Cities/police/government officials support that...really? Is this a joke or that Mandela thing?

We Coloradan's had to rally/vote, sign petitions etc. to get cannabis legalized. Some opposed it but we didn't violently shut their voices down. Instead we found common ground, we reached out to address all concerns. That's what a real community does. It doesn't tear itself apart like raving maniacs. Cutting to the chase/getting our way by force is the new norm...it's a brave new world.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Moved is not erased. Voting is largely the action being take to move these monuments of oppression to museums, not unlawful destruction.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 12:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Morningglory

They were German people with absolutely no connection to our American heritage.

Right, they were our enemies. Like the Confederates.

Confederate soldiers weren't foreign nazis most were young American farmers.

They seceded from the United States, they divorced our Constitution and made their own, they divorced our currency and made their own. They were not America.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 12:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

Moved is not erased. Voting is largely the action being take to move these monuments of oppression to museums, not unlawful destruction.

The Durham statue was destroyed by unlawful destruction, not moved. A roving group of vandals tore it down. Destruction is erased.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 12:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
a reply to: Kali74

The Durham statue was destroyed by unlawful destruction, not moved. A roving group of vandals tore it down. Destruction is erased.

When did I say it wasn't? My first post in the thread:

Good. She broke the law. These groups should use the Democratic process like they did in Charlottesville and others where it was voted on to remove Confederate participation trophies and put them in museums and private curator-ship.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join