It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Durham statue destruction will not go unpunished.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 08:19 AM
link   
she will be arrested, true.

but her name will echo in history... and books and a go fund me will obliterate all her legal bills...
the rest will be making hyperbolic comments online for S&Fs and fade into obscurity...and die nameless.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 08:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

I am glad this mouth breather and others like her will be punished and likely have a while to think about their actions. I don't care that you have fragile feelings. I don't care that you don't like something about the civil war, or can't handle the part where some in the south want to commemorate their fallen brethren with a statue. You don't have the right to dictate what happens to Civil war statues. We have a system of laws and jurisprudence in that if you don't like something, get a petition, make your case. If you do things the right way, perhaps more will be on your side, but this is not the way to do business.

When the colonist revolted against their masters Great Britain, the Kingdom sent their troops too, to police those breaking the King's laws. In the end, the Americans won, and the British had to give up their symbols of authority and control over the colonists.

We can predict, that this time around, the Americans will win once again. But, not before many are arrested and imprisoned, and forced to tolerate the injustices for some period of time, until the change comes.

It has always been right to do wrong until the wrong becomes right.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 09:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Painterz
I've seen so much outrage on ATS about the destruction of racist Confederate symbols.

(Remember, most of these statues were put up in the 1950s and 1960s as an insult to the civil rights movement. THey weren't put up to commemorate history, they were put up as a slap in the face to the civil rights people.)

And very little outrage about the destruction of a Holocaust memorial a few days ago.

You planning on punishing the nazis who destroyed that?

Don't you white supremacists ever get tired of your circle-jerk of white supremacist outrage?

The Holocaust Memorial was vandalized by a teenaged idiot throwing rocks. He was caught and will face criminal charges. www.nytimes.com...

The rioters who destroyed the statue in Durham will likewise face criminal charges. Other locales have moved or plan to move statues to private property. There was no need to destroy to prove a point.

I have no statue or flag in this fight, so my outrage meter is still at zero. What I do see is that many are making excuses and trying to justify the behavior that they condemn when others exhibit it. The Charlotte conflict was a result of a fraction of people on BOTH sides coming prepared for violence. Trump was correct in this regard although the press feigned outrage that he didn't condemn the Nazi's soon enough. [This is the same press that gets excited if Islamic terrorism is called out without a proper period of cooling down.]

Antifa is likely an organization that is as much, or more, Nazi as the American Nazi Party. Neither of them have the power or the villainy that the real Nazis had and both are playing at a game while we normal people are stuck in the middle.

The rule of law will prevail. I don't want to hear rationale about how there was "no choice" or some actions were "justified." There can be protests and sign carrying by groups whom I do not like or agree with. I have a long list. The KKK went after some of my family [and were very surprised that violence goes both ways.] In WW2, the Nazis tried to kill us and didn't make it. One of my family liberated Buchenwald and had nightmares for many years. All of this is personal, but the idiots who are now in these organizations are not the same idiots who tried to kill us in the past. There is no shortage of blind stupidity and arrogance in the KKK, American Nazi Party, Antifa, #BLM, and other such organizations that wish only to hear their own rhetoric echoing throughout the land and would suppress all other voices.
Suppression of free speech because it is not politically correct or hurts someone's feelings somewhere is not satisfactory.

No riots. No violence. No excuses.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 09:05 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

I don't care that you have fragile feelings.

I'm sure she doesn't care about your feelings either, snowflake.

I don't care that you don't like something about the civil war

And I'm also sure she doesn't care about your neoconfederate sensibilities either.

You don't have the right to dictate what happens to Civil war statues.

Here's the irony. When was the last time a new Civil War monument went up anywhere outside of LA or MS? Why is that? Because the ones that are up now, most of which were actually put up at the turn of the century or the height of the Civil Rights movement (because, f# those black people wanting rights and equality) are products of a century long period when an oppressive racial majority was able to litter public spaces with monuments to a rebellion fought to preserve the institution of slavery — because freed slaves and their descendants lacked the power to do anything about it.

Where's all your outrage about that?

We have a system of laws and jurisprudence in that if you don't like something, get a petition, make your case. If you do things the right way, perhaps more will be on your side, but this is not the way to do business.

I agree that under most circumstances, people taking it upon themselves to tear down statues is wrong. This isn't an exception in my estimation as there is recourse. So, having done it, those who participated should expect legal repercussions. We can at least agree on that. There's no breakdown here that requires circumventing the rule of law.

However, to the second part. That's complete horses# and you know it. People in Charlottesville are trying to take down a monument the right way, and the result has been:

- opposition by right-wing national media

- an invasive horde of neo-Nazis who have maimed several and killed one.

- a hapless President who feels so beholden to a fringe lousy with white nationalists/supremacists and neo-confederates that he contorts himself to avoid angering them and in fact, went on a specious rant about George-effing-Washington in support of their agenda.

How long before the battleground museums are targeted?

Yes, let's screech about something that hasn't happened to prop up weak arguments.

How long before some KKK nutter decides it's his civic duty to shoot at someone defacing a statue? Both would be equally stupid, don't be that guy.

Jesus. The false equivalence is off the scale. Defacing a statue is "equally stupid" to shooting at the person doing it? Really? So you think that possibly murdering/maiming a person is on par with defacing a statue?

Your extremism is showing.
edit on 2017-8-16 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Good. She broke the law. These groups should use the Democratic process like they did in Charlottesville and others where it was voted on to remove Confederate participation trophies and put them in museums and private curator-ship.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 09:14 AM
link   
It's erasing someone's history—their own—as simple as that. They deserve their ignorance.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 09:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

DURHAM The protester who climbed a ladder to help bring down a Confederate soldier statue was arrested Tuesday, and Sheriff Mike Andrews said his office will pursue felony charges against others.

www.heraldsun.com...

Now what ?

Comey has a new job as a defense lawyer.
edit on 16-8-2017 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 09:22 AM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

Workers world party? Notice that?

Sure did.

Scant difference between Nationalsozialistische Deutsche Arbeiterpartei also abreviated as NAZI.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 09:27 AM
link   
a reply to: AMPTAH

Just so we are clear:

These communists and anarchists shouted "we are the revolution, you can't stop the revolution".

And now you would liken their actions to the American patriots who fought against a corrupt English monarchy for independence.

Why not have the strength of conviction to just come out and say what you mean - you are espousing the violent overthrow of the American government.

Embrace it, shout it from the rooftops, unfurl the flags of your "new revolution" - like those true patriots did so long ago. See how long it takes actual Americans of every color and faith to end that revolution in it's tracks.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 09:29 AM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

Did we ever need Nazi statues to remember what they did?

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 09:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74

I'm not sure what the Nazis have to do with anything.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 09:37 AM
link   

You know what gets me the most? This statue was there for almost a hundred years with people passing by it every day. But now all of a sudden Confederate soldiers are racist symbols.

The really sad thing is, is any of these idiots actually read about how Robert E. Lee was not only one of the best American military commanders ever, he was also one of the most noble and pious human beings who ever lived, or how Nathan Bedford Forrest was actually one of the first true civil rights leaders. They ignore the over 100,000 black troops who fought for the Confederacy, oftentimes in integrated units.

Always remember, the North waged war against a supposedly tyrannical racist Southern regime and the whole time they did it with a SEGREGATED army.

These idiots need to read some real history and not the stuff you're spoon fed for a few chapters in American history class.
edit on 16-8-2017 by Cancerwarrior because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Many of these monuments aren't particularly historic let alone historically significant. Are you proposing that it's "erasing history" to demolish a 60 year-old house? If not, why is it "erasing history" to remove a statue of a similar age from a public space? If you believe it is, then are you similarly prepared to argue that nothing built should ever be destroyed? At what point does demolishing or removing a thing become "erasing history?" I'm pretty fond of the convenience store at the end of my street. It's 20 years old.

Should my neighbors chain themselves to the front of it if men ever come to tear it down with wrecking ball and bulldozer?

Public spaces are finite. Should we never replace anything constructed in them? What if the public has something else to memorialize? "Sorry folks! Can't do it, we're all filled up with Confederate statues!"

I must confess, I suspect you meant something somewhat different when you said "erasing someone's history" but I can't be entirely certain. Perhaps you could expound a bit?

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 09:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

originally posted by: Kali74

I'm not sure what the Nazis have to do with anything.

Comparing Nazi's to the the civil war era is a false equivalence.

Considering what was done to native Americans at the time.

Why yes America fought a bloody,costly war to free the black man then turned around and slaughtered the brown man.

If anything the NORTH was the NAZIS.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 09:43 AM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

It's art. It's not a building or public bench.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 09:50 AM
link   

It's a logical example. Do we need to erect statues of Hitler or any Nazi General? How about Charles Manson? Should we put a statue of Manson at the site of the house where all those women were massacred? So we don't forget? Timothy McVeigh? Pol Pot? How can we learn from our human past unless we put statues of all the ugly up?

It seems the only tributes to the losers we have, ones that were on the wrong side of history (we have that term for a reason) are Confederate ones that popped up at some very opportune timing which turned out again to be on the wrong side of history.

Heritage of Defeat. There's a good name for a museum.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 09:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Cancerwarrior

There were not "over 100,000 black troops who fought for the Confederacy."

The actual number of free and enslaved black fighting men was more on the order of 5,000. Please cite a source.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 09:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

No, no one wants a statue of Hitler or Manson. Why would they do that?

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 09:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
It's erasing someone's history—their own—as simple as that. They deserve their ignorance.

My history began when I was born.

Before my birth, I'm simply "told what to believe" by others.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 09:56 AM
link   

How are we supposed to learn about and from history if we don't?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join