It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Signs From Loved Ones Who Have Past

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 10:20 PM
link   

This is going to be a quick thread. Something that I stumbled across while searching for something else. But yet it was interesting enough for me that I felt maybe it would be worth sharing. I've never really thought about it much, but it has been on my mind the last few days.... signs from loved ones who have past.

White feathers, pennies, stones, flowers... something that they enjoyed while they were with us in life, then they use to let you know they are near when they pass. Yep, I realize that sometimes these can just be things we seek out and take more notice of because we need some reassurance. But still, for me, the phenomenon is at least worth looking into. So, with that said, here are some possible signs that your loved one is still with you after death.

The five senses

Apparently many people have reported that they've felt their loved ones presence through one of the five basic senses. Hearing their voice, feeling a touch, smelling their favorite cologne or perfume. Dream visitation and sometimes ghostly apparitions have been reported.

Some also speak of lights turning on and off, TV turning on to the deceases favorite TV show, brilliant light shining down on "their spot" in the house. All of these things seem to be associated with the five common senses. Nothing too unusual or hard to explain, nothing really too "out there"...yet when one of them occur, you just know it's a sign from someone you've lost.

This phenomenon could be due to the incredible grief or loss you've just sustained, because you need reassurance or to ease the pain. Maybe you are latching on to straws or subconsciously looking for a sign. But also, when you read through some of the tales, they send chills down your spine (which also is a sign that a loved one is near you). And it's not because they are creepy (or maybe it is), but maybe more that you feel there is some truth to the stories being told.

Whatever side of the line your on, there are enough of them recorded to (at least for me) make you pause and wonder a bit...

Signs From Nature

I also read about animals and how sometimes, you may see a animal that never used to be around show up and someone could be trying to communicate with you from the other side.

Native people believe that all animals are messengers from spirit. That spirit often uses an animal as a form of spiritual symbolism. If an animal comes into our life, it is often thought of as being a message from beyond, from spirit. You must use your own power of intuition to figure out what the message is trying to tell you ...

Moths can be a sign a loved one is with you (also thought to be the bringer of death, guess it all depends on which type). Feathers falling from the sky, found indoors, or in weird locations means that your family member is close (or an angel is). Favorite flowers blooming when they shouldn't be...their fragrance drifting through the room. These are all signs they, your loved one, are still with you.

Our loved one is able to use their energy to go inside an insect or animal—such as a butterfly, ladybug, bird, or dragonfly—for a brief period of time. The animal will do something it usually wouldn't do, such as land on us, peck at our window, look at us, or scream at us. Unfortunately, this is a sign some people ignore. Our loved ones may try to communicate with us in every unimaginable manner. By using these symbols, they're sending us a message without trying to scare us. They're letting us know, "I'm with you. You're not alone!" ...

It's not just random animals though. The pet of a deceased loved one sometimes will look at the favorite chair they used to sit in or act differently when the deceased is present as well. Maybe follow someone/thing around the house on the same path their owner used to take. Stay in a certain room when they normally would come sit beside you. They are sensing/seeing what we cannot.

Do I think that these are true signs that someone is trying to reach you from the spirit world? I want to believe. I think no matter what they are, they're still a comfort to someone who needs them. They still matter, and they still hold value. Knowing that they can take some pain away for someone is enough for me to leave this subject in the "what if" category and not try too hard to prove or disprove it.

I guess I was just wondering if anyone here has experienced this type of communication in one form or another from a person who has recently past. I read some accounts of people not receiving anything for up to a year or more after someone dies and some accounts of immediate or a few days after people being given a sign.

As always, thanks for reading!

blend57

more links:
Ten Signs
Personal Accounts
Stories #1

Stories #2

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 11:07 PM
link   
a reply to: blend57

I completely believe we receive signs from loved ones who have passed. My wife and I experienced many since her sister passed away 8 years ago. A lot in the form of butter-flies, but we've also had other unexplained occurrences. It weirded me out so much I had to make a thread on it a few years ago. All with pictures to help prove some of these signs.

A sign from the other side, just simply incredible!

Three weeks ago we found out my wife's other sister was diagnosed with an aggressive form of cancer. She was devastated, since she lost her other sister to cancer 8 years ago. We traveled to the Cancer Treatment Center in Chicago hoping they could offer life-saving treatment for her. We stayed there for a week. Weird things started happening in our hotel room. The kitchen area faucet turned on by itself! At first I thought, well maybe it was because the last time I used it I might have not pushed the handle all the way down. Than the bathroom light turned on by itself. What sealed it for me, was just after we got done packing our suit cases to make our last trip to the hospital, the faucet turned on again by itself! Both times, it just wasn't a trickle, it went on full force. My wife thought it was a possible sign from her other sister who passed.

If that wasn't weird enough, we we're all in our van. As I was making our final drive to the hospital, my sister-in-law who also traveled with us, and my wife smelled cigarette smoke. This happen another time as we were traveling home. My wife immediately called out her sister's husband's name who passed away from a heart attack 12 years ago. (He used to smoke cigarettes before he died).

So we all felt that her deceased husband was giving us signs that he was with his wife during the time she was receiving her cancer treatments.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Just give me a sign! Any sign!

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 03:00 AM
link   

The prejudice against ‘wraiths’ and ‘ghosts’ is very strong; but then our innocent phantasms are neither (as we understand their nature) ghosts nor wraiths. Kant broke the edges of his metaphysical tools against not these phantasms but the logically inconceivable entities which were at once material and non-material at once ‘spiritual’ and ‘space-filling.’ There is no such difficulty about hallucinations which whatever else may be said about them are familiar facts of experience.
Andrew Lang, 1909.

I've read and heard these accounts for years and enjoy them. The better ones are curious and puzzling and the majority are thin gruel at best. There's a good article in SciAm - Ghost Stories: Visits from the Deceased

The first one I heard was after a friend was hit by a car and died a few days later. He was in a metal band and his mum told us she heard music coming from his room. She went in there and nothing was switched on. It happened again and she said it sounded like a rock song that she hadn't heard before.

What happened could have been a grief hallucination, guilt, yearning or an existential farewell from her son. With it all being sourced in the mind, I'd say any explanation will do. Even if there's such a thing as a returning spirit, as you point out, it has to buzz at least one of our senses and thereby transfers itself to psychology and perception. Matty's mum got relief and comfort from the incidents as they informed her he was safe and well. Some would say a part of her consciousness was tricking another part to heal itself whilst others might argue it was message from 'the other side.'

There aren't many surveys of encounters with those who have died. There used to be, but there doesn't seem to be as many well organised groups to conduct them. There's a survey from the 1980s that showed Iceland as the country with the highest reports. This was followed by Italy, UK and Germany with the fewest reports coming from places like Holland and Denmark. Shouldn't all countries be fairly similar if it was the case that spirits say hello to the living?

There was also a US survey covering skin colour that had black and white people neck and neck in pole position. Mexicans came after them and Japanese trailed behind. Shouldn't skin colour be irrelevant if the experiences were caused by outside agency?

Questions, questions, questions.

Despite it being hard to make a rational case for the visiting dead there are still reports and experiences that remain unexplained. Old books like 'Phantasms of the Living' were based on surveys of up to 17000 people and the authors did follow-ups. They checked with neighbours and did some basic due diligence. A guy I like reading, Andrew Lang, leaned on some of the 'Phantasms' reports in his book 'The Making of Religion.' Here's an example and there are a few more in the link.

’March 25, 1860

’Two sawyers, Frank Philps and Jack Mulholland, were engaged cutting timber for the Rev.
R. Maunsell at the mouth of the Awaroa creek—a very lonely place, a vast swamp, no people
within miles of them. As usual, they had a Maori with them to assist in felling trees. He came
from Tihorewam, a village on the other side of the river, about six miles off.

As Frank and the native were cross-cutting a tree, the native stopped suddenly, and said, "What are you
come for?" looking in the direction of Frank. Frank replied, "What do you mean?" He said, "I
am not speaking to you; I am speaking to my brother." Frank said, "Where is he?" The native
replied, "Behind you. What do you want?" (to the other Maori), Frank looked round and saw
nobody. The native no longer saw anyone, but bid down the saw and said, "I shall go across
the river; my brother is dead."

’Frank laughed at him, and reminded him that be had left him quite well on Sunday (five days
before), and there had been no communication since. The Maori spoke no more, but got into
his canoe and pulled across.

When he arrived at the landing-place, he met people coming to
fetch him. His brother had just died. I knew him well.’
Andrew Lang on Anthropology and Hallucinations

In the follow up a local judge confirmed the account and the brother's death.

A favourite of mine is when Michael Shermer and his new bride heard music coming from a previously broken radio that was a her dead father's. It's a special one because Shermer's public occupation is that of a skeptic. You can read the article here: Anomalous Events That Can Shake One’s Skepticism to the Core. I'm writing a thread here lol so I'll leave Shermer as last word...

The emotional interpretations of such anomalous events grant them significance regardless of their causal account. And if we are to take seriously the scientific credo to keep an open mind and remain agnostic when the evidence is indecisive or the riddle unsolved, we should not shut the doors of perception when they may be opened to us to marvel in the mysterious.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 06:39 AM
link   

As always, I appreciate your threads.

I'm not sure what I believe or don't believe as I am firmly on the fence.
I've had three experiences (that I was aware of) revolving around the death of 3 different people so...I dunno.
I'd like to think that two of them were from the beyond however the third experience involved a too real of a nightmare.
I'd like to believe that it was triggered by my dwelling on those two people for too long and missing them etc.
If there was any 'true' contact being made, the message that I interpreted that the person was sending was not good.

Good topic. Thank you.

posted on Aug, 20 2017 @ 07:01 AM
link   
WeRpeons

Sorry for the late response. Honestly I made this thread because my mom just died on Tuesday and I guess it was a way of dealing with my loss. A few things since then have occurred which seem a little weird but are still explainable.

1. My sister stated she found a white feather outside her bedroom door. There is no way a bird could've dropped it there, the room is totally enclosed. I did not witness it or see the feather she found so I can not confirm or deny it happened.
2. My cat (Patroclus) was wanting to spend more time with me and my daughter, personality changed a bit..which could be because he knew we were upset.
3. I was getting dressed for the showing and I asked my daughter how I looked, she said ok. I said if my mom was here she would've told me in a better way. A few minutes later I unlock my phone to see if I have any messages and it is open to a picture of my mom I took recently giving me the thumbs up sign. All my aps were closed, I dunno how that happened, it is odd but still explainable. My daughter witnessed it with me.
4. A Hibiscus plant was sent to the funeral home and looked like it was almost dead. The next day at the funeral, it was in full bloom.

All these things are explainable, but still make you stop and wonder a bit. Maybe it is wishful thinking, maybe it is the mind...but honestly, they offered some comfort and hope when you are trying to process your loss. Read your thread and some of the responses. Thank you for linking it and I am sorry I didn't do so in my OP. Just wasn't really thinking at that point..my apologies.

a reply to: Kandinsky

Thanks for making my thread a lot better! You should honestly make a thread about this subject. I read through some of the information you posted and as its been a busy week I saved some for later. That is interesting that Iceland has the highest accounts...but maybe, as you say, they just investigated the phenomenon more. If there is not a ton of research/studies done on this since the 80's...maybe just other counties didn't do as much as Iceland did.

Just a thought off the top of my head though, I really do need to read through the links and such you provided. But I wanted to thank you for contributing such a informative post. Once I read through the info I will give you a better response. Still trying to process a few things from this week.

a reply to: TNMockingbird

After my experiences this week so far, I am still on the fence. I really, really want to believe but everything that I have experienced could be explained...yet, as I said, it makes you wonder...Maybe the feather is unexplainable, but I did not witness that personally. Thank you for adding your thoughts/experiences.

Thanks to everyone who read/responded to my thread. Again, I apologize for my own late response..

Thanks,
blend57

edit on 20-8-2017 by blend57 because: Always an edit!

new topics

top topics

join