It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Normalization of Donald Trump

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+10 more 
posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 09:58 PM
link   
What is happening in our country? I feel like I'm in Bizarro World - I really do. You've heard it all before - Trump is a misogynist, Trump is a racist, Trump is a narcissist, Trump is a bigot, Trump is a bully - ad nauseam. The problem is that there's reason you hear that so frequently - there's varying amounts of truth to each and every one of those levies and he continues to prove that on a daily basis. What continues to astonish me is the level of apologetics that takes place every time he exhibits these extremely unpresidential behaviors. The level of rationalization shown by his supporters to justify his behavior is shocking and is taking us down a very dangerous path. It's a dangerous symbiotic relationship that he and his base continues to feed off of. It saddens me that we're forced to deal with this on a daily basis, as if it's normal, as if we should just accept it.

Now I know there are plenty here that will say that "our side" is the one that's unnecessarily making something out of what is really nothing - just let him do his job, and it'll all be fine. I could understand that if there was a minority showing these concerns and disdain - but it's a majority - a vast majority. Trump's approval rating is at historical lows around 35%. Day after day, there are more republicans attempting to disassociate themselves from Trump. And the turnover in his administration should be a huge red flag to everyone. Yet there is a core - apparently that 35% - which, by the way, contains the vast majority of the type that marched in Charlottesville - that continues to support him and remain blind to the dangers. No matter what. I don't get it.

What I do understand is the premise behind Trump's rise. You all wanted a non-politician - someone to tell it like it is - someone who wouldn't be beholden to big money - someone who wouldn't stand behind political ideology and would fight for the common person. That sounds pretty good and I get that. The problem is - Trump isn't the guy. He's the furthest from "the guy" that you can get. He's a huckster that took advantage of an opportunity to tap into a lot of anger. You've been hoodwinked, just like thousands of others that he's left behind in his path to the top. You aren't going to get your wall - you aren't going to get rid of Obamacare - hell, you might not even get the tax reform he's promised at this rate. What you are getting though is a much more divided nation - a resurgence of hate groups - heightened world tensions that could possibly lead to war - and let's not even mention the possibilities of Russia-gate.

So, yeah, I get why you voted for him - when he first threw his hat in over a year ago, I'll admit I was intrigued. I didn't hate the guy - yeah there was the birther thing, and yeah he had already said a lot of stupid stuff, but he really seemed like a harmless interesting anomaly at that point. Then came the McCain thing, then the Mexico thing, then the pu##y thing, then the handicap thing, and on and on. I quickly lost any respect I might have had for him. But yet there was that base out there that he continued to rile and rally. Thus began the normalization of Donald Trump.

That normalization from his base continues to this day, so much so that I think they're numb to it. It's normal to be abnormal - to be detrimental - to be dangerous. And it all *is* very dangerous. I don't know what I want to see at this point. Would I like to see him out of office? You betcha. I do believe he's a danger to our society, to our well-being, and ultimately to the rest of the world. This isn't a "reality" show - this is reality. He's the most powerful man in the world. If he can't properly lead our nation and can't properly represent our country to the world, he doesn't deserve that power.

It's almost a paradox - the normalization of Trump is very dangerous and it's almost as if the only way his supporters will see that is if he continues with his dangerous behavior. I have no doubt he won't let me down, so let's hope the revelation from his supporters comes sooner rather than later.

+14 more 
posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 10:01 PM
link   
a reply to: redtic

I don't agree with Trump on a lot of things....

But didn't Jesse Jackson praise his help in new york with race relations?

Didn't he hire women to help run his company before it was cool?

And as for saying the violence was to much hate from all sides, it was.

There are plenty of things to attack him on, but just saying he's all these names with no clear evidence is just lazy.
edit on 15-8-2017 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Now if only we could get the LEFT to "normalize" the world would be a better place. So far they don't appear to want this.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 10:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

I don't agree with Trump on a lot of things....

But didn't Jesse Jackson praise his help in new york with race relations?

Didn't he hire women to help run his company before it was cool?

And as for saying the violence was to much hate from all sides, it was.

There are plenty of things to attack him on, but just saying he's all these names with no clear evidence is just lazy.

This was an editorial and I didn't say "he's all these names", but only said that's what he's been called and there's some level of truth to each of them, imho. I'm fairly certain each of those labels can be argued either way, with some truth to both sides.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 10:08 PM
link   

I'm not pro Trump, but I feel like the media pushing people being racist, sexist and so on is justifying people going crazy.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 10:09 PM
link   
I'm imagining that Pence is standing in his closet right now looking over his ties and trying to decide which one he's going to wear for his inauguration.

Although some people may not like some of Pence's political ideologies, at least the guy seems to have the maturity and wherewithall to keep his sh** together in the political sphere.

Food for thought ?

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 10:12 PM
link   

My feelings exactly.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 10:13 PM
link   
A problem with the current structure of society is the pockets of extremes attempt to speak for everyone when they don't even speak for anything approaching a sizable fraction of the populace.

People cry on social media. Most don't give a # about social media. MSM is on their daily anti-Trump witch hunt. Most don't look for the MSM for their news. You get rallies with everything from protesters to full on racists to anarchists, yet most people are too busy working and taking care of their family to care. While it might appear thru media and social media, everyone is up in arms about racism and Russia previously, again, most don't give a #, they care about their job, their home, their family, their car payments, their child's education, exercise, Thanksgiving plans, summer vacation, trimming the lawn, etc.

Short version would be, quite letting the hysterical minority get to you. I'm more concerned with fixing the brown patch on my lawn than I am about a bunch of idiots clubbing one another in Virginia.
edit on 15-8-2017 by MysticPearl because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Trump isn't capable of being president. He has no knowledge of politics, history, economics, any of the things you need to be president. He's one of those people that doesn't get it. No style, no grace, no substance. However, he is good at being an uncouth, ill-mannered rich man. That seems to carry some appeal for his base.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 10:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

I'm not pro Trump, but I feel like the media pushing people being racist, sexist and so on is justifying people going crazy.

The media is definitely a factor in all this, but come on - 65% disapprove of him. When you have bizarre ad hoc press conferences like you had today, for example, that's just unfiltered reality. And, like I said, there's plenty of other unfiltered video/audio that supports those labels.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 10:16 PM
link   

The demonization of Donald Trump, trumps the normalization of Donald Trump.

This is more of an emotional rant than anything.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 10:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: CranialSponge
I'm imagining that Pence is standing in his closet right now looking over his ties and trying to decide which one he's going to wear for his inauguration.

Although some people may not like some of Pence's political ideologies, at least the guy seems to have the maturity and wherewithall to keep his sh** together in the political sphere.

Food for thought ?

Pence is the quiet crazy version, just pointed in a different direction. He would be just as bad for the country, but at least he could look presidential riding the crazy train.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 10:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: CranialSponge

Food for thought ?

I tend to agree with that rationale - at least he's governed and has some couth. I'd take anyone over Trump at this point.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 10:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: knowledgehunter0986

The demonization of Donald Trump, trumps the normalization of Donald Trump.

This is more of an emotional rant than anything.

Sure, call it what you want - but, again, 65% agree. Come join us.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Unless 330 million people took that poll, I wouldn't trust it as a consensus.

Come join us.

I'm good over here, and if I could be frank for a second.. the quality of people, the level of character, the scope of intelligence and the lack of emotional fortitude coming from "your side".. I'm in no rush to join you, and I am very glad I live in my reality.

edit on 15-8-2017 by knowledgehunter0986 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Come join us.

I'm good over here. And if I could be frank for a second, the quality of people, the level of character, the scope of intelligence and the lack of emotional fortitude coming from "your side".. I'm in no rush to join you and am very glad I live in my reality.

Best post of the day!
I am with you on that...switching "sides" would be like getting a lobotomy.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 10:40 PM
link   

"His unpresidential behavior". What has Presidential behavior gotten us?? The mess.

Trump IS dangerous. He's dangerous to the status quo, agendas, the D.C. machine and vested interests of all sorts.

Fear him. It pleases me and perhaps many others. Our fear is he fails. Not what he's doing whatsoever. Will there be collateral damage? Sadly, yes. But necessary. You see, Trump is dangerous, but he isn't the danger you think he is. It's his base. US. THERE's your real danger.

If Trump fails? sobeit. Then you will have to deal with us. WE aren't anywhere as nice as The Don.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Come join us.

I'm good over here, and if I could be frank for a second.. the quality of people, the level of character, the scope of intelligence and the lack of emotional fortitude coming from "your side".. I'm in no rush to join you, and I am very glad I live in my reality.

Since we're being frank, I seriously doubt that the majority of people from "your side" are very different from the majority from "our side". We may believe different things, but in the end, likely most of us want very similar things out of life. I guess the biggest difference, and I guess one of the points of my OP, is that I really don't understand how "your side" thinks that DT is the answer to getting those things. I really wish he had the ability to prove me wrong, but thus far, he hasn't shown it.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 10:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: redtic

Come join us.

Since we're being frank, I seriously doubt that the majority of people from "your side" are very different from the majority from "our side". We may believe different things, but in the end, likely most of us want very similar things out of life. I guess the biggest difference, and I guess one of the points of my OP, is that I really don't understand how "your side" thinks that DT is the answer to getting those things. I really wish he had the ability to prove me wrong, but thus far, he hasn't shown it.

Just curious.....
Do you think that Hillary would have been the answer?

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 10:51 PM
link   

As far as a way of life goes, I agree that we all pretty much want the same thing, but that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the human condition and psyche, and from my observation (by the way, I do have some professional background in this), it's almost 2 different species, in 2 different realities.

As for Trump, he may not be the answer, but he is DEFINITELY our last hope, if any. That is the sole reason I even support him, nothing more nothing less. I will support the possibility he represents until proven otherwise, and to be frank again, as the days go by, watching this whole debacle and being able to see it for what it really is, only reaffirms my beliefs.

There's really nothing to lose in supporting him, because if we're wrong about him, we all lose regardless.

edit on 15-8-2017 by knowledgehunter0986 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join