It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Surprise Finding About Moon Changes the Hunt for Alien Life

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 08:04 AM
link   
I sat on this article for a few days because I was unsure if I wanted to bring it to ATS. However, I finally decided to post it based on a conspiracy twist. The article says that scientists now believe that the search for alien life has expanded due to new information discovered from Moon rocks. The discovery is that the Moon had a magnetic field for longer than previously thought, however, scientists are not 100% sure why. Magnetic fields protect the Earth from the Suns harsh radiation and allow life time to flourish.

The moon today does not possess a global magnetic field. However, prior analyses of moon rocks retrieved by the Apollo astronauts suggested that, between 3.56 billion and 4.25 billion years ago, the moon's magnetic field once ranged in strength from 20 to 110 microtesla. In comparison, Earth's magnetic field is 50 microtesla strong. – Surprise Finding About Moon Puts Hunt for Alien Life in New Light – Aug.14.2017 www.nbcnews.com... via NBC News

These experiments revealed that the moon still harbored a weak magnetic field about 5 microtesla strong from 1 billion to 2.5 billion years ago. In comparison, the moon is about 4.5 billion years old. All in all, these findings suggest "that even small planetary bodies can generate long-lived magnetic fields operating on billion-year timescales, so it is possible that small exoplanets or exomoons might be able to preserve water on timescales long enough to permit life to develop," Tikoo said. Flowing metal in Earth's core serves as the dynamo that generates our planet's magnetic field. It remains a mystery how the lunar dynamo could have lasted so long after the moon was born, researchers said. "It was generally thought that planetary bodies as small as the moon could not have magnetic fields lasting for billions of years because their small sizes would cause their cores to cool and run out of energy to power a dynamo relatively early in solar system's history," Tikoo said. "Therefore, showing that the moon generated a field that lasted at for least 2 billion years, either in a continuous or intermittent state, really pushes the boundaries on what we thought was possible. It challenges us to think of new power sources and mechanisms that can help give the cores of small bodies an energy boost." The researchers suggest that the moon's dynamo may have been driven by two distinct mechanisms — one involving Earth's gravity, and the other involving the cooling of the moon's core. "The lunar magnetic field seems to have operated for a long time in two different strength ranges," Tikoo said. "This tells us that the moon may have had two different mechanisms operating throughout its history — a stronger-field mechanism before 3.5 billion years ago and a weaker-field mechanism later on."

My conspiracy senses tell me that we are being prepared for the big revelation concerning life elsewhere. As I mentioned before, I learned from an unconventional source that there is life on some of the Moons of the solar system; namely Enceladus. I also think Europa, Ganymede, and Callisto were mentioned but I'm not sure. Anyway, what does ATS think?

www.nbcnews.com...

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Perhaps there is a whole civilization living inside the moon.
I remember some scientist said the moon rang like a bell, like it was hollow.
Perhaps it is the home of our creators now, and they are just passive observing us.
Makes sense only one side of the moon faces us all time.
Perhaps the movie with Jim Carry called Truman show was a hint to us, .. The observer and creator was living in the fake moon in that movie.

edit on 15-8-2017 by Spacespider because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 08:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Spacespider

Perhaps it is the home of our creators now, and they are just passive observing us.
Perhaps the movie with Jim Carry called Truman show was a hint to us, .. The observer and creator was living in the fake moon in that movie.

Interesting viewpoint. Come to think of it, the interior of the Moon could be used a a base and the general public would never know. Maybe the Moon people are the ones who escaped Earth during the last ELE.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Well, the moon can't be hollow if it had a molten core acting as a dynamo, creating a magnetic field for billions of years.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 08:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: PokeyJoe

Well, the moon can't be hollow if it had a molten core acting as a dynamo, creating a magnetic field for billions of years.

It's not just the Earth's Moon but any Moon(s). This new finding is showing that life can be more prevalent than previously thought.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 08:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: PokeyJoe

Perhaps an internal gravity that is artificially produced

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 08:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Plotus

We just don't know. However, I think something's in the works. With the advent of Private Space things are ramping up in Space discovery. I think TPTB are staying ahead of the curve with this announcement.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 10:51 AM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

As I mentioned before, I learned from an unconventional source that there is life on some of the Moons of the solar system; namely Enceladus. I also think Europa, Ganymede, and Callisto were mentioned but I'm not sure.

I'd be interested in hearing more about this. Did you create a thread on the topic? I have often said I think there's life on Europa, I'm eagerly awaiting the probe that's scheduled to explore there. Also, Europa by Santana is one of my all time favorite songs...ahhh, memories.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 11:11 AM
link   

The "ringing like a bell" is not a huge mystery to geologists, and it has nothing at all to do with it being hollow (which it isn't).

When the Moon vibrates (from moonquakes and from spent spacecraft crashing back to it) the seismic vibrations last for a longer period of time than originally expected -- hours rather than minutes. That longer vibration period is what they meant when they said it "rang like a bell". They knew that seismic wave vibrations on Earth dampen within minutes, but those on the Moon do not.

However, the explanation for this is not due to the Moon being hollow -- it's due to the Moon being more solid or -- more accurately -- not as cracked or as broken in general than Earth.

This article explains it:

Moonquakes

Excerpt:

On Earth, vibrations from quakes usually die away in only half a minute. The reason has to do with chemical weathering, Neal explains: "Water weakens stone, expanding the structure of different minerals. When energy propagates across such a compressible structure, it acts like a foam sponge--it deadens the vibrations." Even the biggest earthquakes stop shaking in less than 2 minutes.

The moon, however, is dry, cool and mostly rigid, like a chunk of stone or iron. So moonquakes set it vibrating like a tuning fork. Even if a moonquake isn't intense, "it just keeps going and going," Neal says. And for a lunar habitat, that persistence could be more significant than a moonquake's magnitude.

This is what they meant when they said "it rang like a bell". You can also say "it rang like a tuning fork". Bells and tuning forks that are not cracked will vibrate for a longer period of time than one that is cracked.

Granted, it could still "ring like a bell" and be hollow, but the ringing like a bell described by geologists does not necessarily mean that it is hollow. And the fact is that other seismological studies have shown that it is not hollow.

edit on 15/8/2017 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Great thread!

Enceladus has long been thought to be one of the possible places where life could exist outside of earth due to the evidence of there being liquid water somewhere down below all the ice. Same with Europa. Heck when looking at extremophiles here on earth, Io isn't too far outside the realms of possibility.

Bacteria have been found in some of the most inhospitable environments imaginable and yet they thrive. Places like inside solid rock deep in the earth, on the cooling rods in nuclear reactors and other such places.

I would not be surprised to find that microbial life is much more prevalent than is currently accepted in general knowledge.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 11:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: GordonCole

As I mentioned before, I learned from an unconventional source that there is life on some of the Moons of the solar system; namely Enceladus. I also think Europa, Ganymede, and Callisto were mentioned but I'm not sure.

I'd be interested in hearing more about this. Did you create a thread on the topic? I have often said I think there's life on Europa, I'm eagerly awaiting the probe that's scheduled to explore there. Also, Europa by Santana is one of my all time favorite songs...ahhh, memories.

Yes, I've mentioned several times in other threads that my unconventional source is an Ouija borad; unconventional because you can't always trust an Ouija board nor can you verify. It did say to check some of the Moons for life; specifically Encaladus.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 11:25 AM
link   
All the aliens moved here long ago, I guess they did not have immigration laws those days. Any stray aliens have to take an immigration test that I can't probably even pass. Next we are going to have to learn an alien language in school to graduate, that will be coming in fifty years when we have attracted aliens from elsewhere here with all our scientific signaling and testing..

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 11:32 AM
link   
a reply to: jadedANDcynical

I would not be surprised to find that microbial life is much more prevalent than is currently accepted in general knowledge.

I agree, I believe the cosmos is filled with bacteria.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 11:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
All the aliens moved here long ago, I guess they did not have immigration laws those days. Any stray aliens have to take an immigration test that I can't probably even pass. Next we are going to have to learn an alien language in school to graduate, that will be coming in fifty years when we have attracted aliens from elsewhere here with all our scientific signaling and testing..

Be careful what you ask for, Rickymouse.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Maybe if we didn't stop visiting the moon, we would have mass amounts of information by now.

I guess less than 5% of the moon is enough to explore.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 11:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: jadedANDcynical
Great thread!

Enceladus has long been thought to be one of the possible places where life could exist outside of earth due to the evidence of there being liquid water somewhere down below all the ice. Same with Europa. Heck when looking at extremophiles here on earth, Io isn't too far outside the realms of possibility.

Bacteria have been found in some of the most inhospitable environments imaginable and yet they thrive. Places like inside solid rock deep in the earth, on the cooling rods in nuclear reactors and other such places.

NASA astrobiologist Chris McKay has often spoke about his desire to see a fly-by mission to Enceladus to gather samples of the plumes of water shooting into space from Enceledus and bringing those samples back to Earth for Study. Of course, that would not be an easy or cheap mission, which is why it won't be happening anytime soon.

But McKay definitely feels that Enceldaus is a great candidate for life:

A Perspective on Life on Enceladus: A World of Possibilities

Excerpt:

Could microbial life exist inside Enceladus, where no sunlight reaches, photosynthesis is impossible and no oxygen is available? To answer that question, we need look no farther than our own planet to find examples of the types of exotic ecosystems that could make life possible on Saturn's geyser moon. The answer appears to be, yes, it could be possible. It is this tantalizing potential that brings us back to Enceladus for further study.

Here is McKay's, et al. "low-cost" (relatively speaking) proposal for an Enceladus sample return mission:

Low Cost Enceladus Sample Return Mission Concept
Note: Link opens directly to a PDF file

Excerpt:

Cassini has provided strong evidence that Enceladus has an ocean with an energy source, nutrients, and organic molecules. From everything we know, Enceladus should be habitable. We want to know if it is inhabited, and if not, why not. Either way, sample return is essential. Lucky for us, Enceladus is already ejecting samples into space. We just have to go get them.

It should be noted that the "Europa Clipper" Mission (which has tentative funding and seemingly the official go-ahead) will be able to analyze samples of Europa's plumes of water, which are similar -- but certainly not on the scale of -- the plumes of water emanating from Enceladus.

The plumes of Enceladus are geysers that can easily be seen by the Cassini Spacecraft during its fly-bys of the moon, and discovered more than a decade ago. However, the plumes on Europa are much more tenuous, and have only recently been discovered (but not really quite "confirmed" yet).

That being said, the plan for the Europa Clipper mission is to do several fly-bys of Europa, scoping up some of that water being flung into space, and analyzing it to discern the potential habitability of Europa's oceans.

NASA: Mission to Europa -- Europa Clipper

NASA's Hubble Space Telescope observed water vapor above the south polar region of Europa in 2012, providing potential evidence of water plumes. If the plumes' existence is confirmed - and they're linked to a subsurface ocean - studying their composition would help scientists investigate the chemical makeup of Europa's potentially habitable environment while minimizing the need to drill through layers of ice.

NASA video:

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 03:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: kyleplatinum

Maybe if we didn't stop visiting the moon, we would have mass amounts of information by now.

I guess less than 5% of the moon is enough to explore.

I think "THEY" told us to go away, and to not come back.

Des

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 04:42 PM
link   
The moon gets curiouser. and curiouser.

They are not even sure anymore the story on how the moon was created is true!

quantamagazine.org - What Made the Moon? New Ideas Try to Rescue a Troubled Theory.

The old story is that a mass the size of Mars slammed into the Earth shearing off material that slowly became the moon. That idea was called into question and revisiting samples from the surface they have found the moon resembles the Earth more than anything else out there! The article is about new math equations that support the evidence gathered while keeping the collision theory the accepted one.

Now add on the magnetic field lasting longer than previously thought... curiouser indeed!

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 04:59 PM
link   
And why have we never been back to the moon?

Its not like we know all about it and theres nothing left to discover....

Its a perfect base for them

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 05:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: SecretKnowledge
And why have we never been back to the moon?

Mostly because it was a huge propaganda project created by John F. Kennedy, and the U.S. won the race. Once we had proven that we had the money and technology to get there, Richard Nixon -- who passionately hated JFK -- didn't see any real reason to go back.

If you're old enough, you may remember people actually protesting all the money spend on "white men going to the moon," when it could be used for social programs to help people on Earth. It was a faulty argument, but it helped lead to the lunar program getting bounced.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join