It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Confederate Symbols, White Priviledge and Racism.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 08:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Plotus

no i'm not joking actually because it's only fair that if you're going to tear down monuments of one side then you should do the same in return as a gesture of goodwill to prove your tolerance and desire for peace.

otherwise all that will happen is that the situation will escalate things because the other side will feel alienation and resentment towards you, they will hate more and it will spread to more people.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 08:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin
a reply to: Nikola014

But, the only thing that this shows is that people are fairly uneducated. And, I'd bet you that 99 out of those 100 people, would have no idea what Swastika represents, only that it's "something that was used by the Nazis".

The meaning changes over time.

The swastika is no longer a Indian religious symbol, in the west as soon as the Nazi's started slapping it over all of their flags it becomes something else, it took on a new meaning.

It happens all the time, language is the same, over time words take on new meaning.

I suppose in a way its kind of sad that the symbol has been violated to such a extent. The truth is however in the west if I have a swastika flag in the front garden there is a good chance I am a Nazi rather than showing of my spirituality or using it for luck, or whatever else it has been used for over the ages.

I think its the same with the confederate flag, over time it changed and is now a flag mostly associated with the far right and racist groups.

Um, the swastika is still used as a religous symbol to this day.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 08:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Woodcarver

Exactly, The real reason for the Civil War was about the implementation of the first Federal Income Tax, which Lincoln established in 1861.

Biggest market in the country at the time... southern agriculture.

For support of the war, this was done under the guise of philanthropy.

Saying the Civil War was about freeing slaves, is dumber than saying the Iraq war was about WMDs.
edit on 15-8-2017 by rexsblues because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 08:34 AM
link   
I doubt there are any statues of Hitler still standing in Germany for a reason. I tried to google it but I did not find any.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 08:40 AM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

It looks as if there is a precedent for building monuments for traitors to the US.. this monument was built to "honor" Benedict Arnold.

Apparently he was a brave soldier before a traitor so they built a monument to honor his anonymous broken leg.
www.neatorama.com...
edit on 15-8-2017 by zosimov because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 08:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wardaddy454

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin
a reply to: Nikola014

But, the only thing that this shows is that people are fairly uneducated. And, I'd bet you that 99 out of those 100 people, would have no idea what Swastika represents, only that it's "something that was used by the Nazis".

The meaning changes over time.

The swastika is no longer a Indian religious symbol, in the west as soon as the Nazi's started slapping it over all of their flags it becomes something else, it took on a new meaning.

It happens all the time, language is the same, over time words take on new meaning.

I suppose in a way its kind of sad that the symbol has been violated to such a extent. The truth is however in the west if I have a swastika flag in the front garden there is a good chance I am a Nazi rather than showing of my spirituality or using it for luck, or whatever else it has been used for over the ages.

I think its the same with the confederate flag, over time it changed and is now a flag mostly associated with the far right and racist groups.

Um, the swastika is still used as a religous symbol to this day.

The Hindu 'swastika' faced the other way around and is still a symbol today. There's a building in a town called Preston, England that has some beautiful brickwork detailed with a ribbon of the Hindu symbol.

The Nazi one only symbolises the 3rd Reich and only ever points in the opposite direction to the Hindu's ancient version.

a reply to: dfnj2015

There's some legislation in Germany that prohibits any public displays of Nazi regalia. No tiny moustaches, no swastikas, no Reich eagles etc. Definitely no statues of Hitler. If I'm not mistaken, it's an offence to do the goosestep or seig heil signs.

No doubt one of the German members can correct me if I'm wrong.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 08:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

No, you're right about that. You do the sieg heil in germany, you're going to jail. Ironically they have standing monuments to the communist Russian soldiers who invaded and mass raped and beat their women.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 08:59 AM
link   
a reply to: zosimov

Arnold wasn't a traitor. He was a British Patriot.

He decided to turn his back on the Colonial Traitors to the British Crown, and fight for his King.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 09:01 AM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

We bow to no king here

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 09:01 AM
link   
I could care less what the flag means or what you think it means. I am getting sick of the left trying to destroy everything they view as wrong. They can't simply turn their heads. But at the same time they shove gender fluidity and lgbt down my throat 24x7.

It is getting tiresome. It is hypocrisy at its finest and the left is blind to it.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 09:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: zosimov

We bow to no king here

You only bow to The Dollar.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 09:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: rexsblues
a reply to: Kandinsky

No, you're right about that. You do the sieg heil in germany, you're going to jail. Ironically they have standing monuments to the communist Russian soldiers who invaded and mass raped and beat their women.

Yes, I saw a doco years ago about Russian soldiers doing all that. Same for the Germans who raped and beat French women as they retreated. Then the French shaved, beat and raped any women who'd allegedly collaborated with the Nazis.

Brutality breeds brutality and morality is out the window pretty early. Horrific times.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 09:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: ClovenSky
I could care less what the flag means or what you think it means. I am getting sick of the left trying to destroy everything they view as wrong. They can't simply turn their heads. But at the same time they shove gender fluidity and lgbt down my throat 24x7.

It is getting tiresome. It is hypocrisy at its finest and the left is blind to it.

Nobody is trying to 'destroy' anything though.

What is 'destroyed' by taking down monuments people find offensive? They're not destroyed, they're just moved from public eye.

Nobody is shoving anything down your throat. If you don't want to be gender fluid or LGBT you don't have to be, all you have to do is accept that a few other people do want to be that way. And why does that bother you so much?

Honestly, I get that life must be hard when you think you're being attacked all the time, but the attacks are mostly just in your mind, and a construct of hysterical far-right sources who like to moan about this stuff because it's scary.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Be sure the dollar will do more for the average citizen then any king.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 09:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: zosimov

Be sure the dollar will do more for the average citizen then any king.

I thought The Dollar was king ?

www.scmp.com...

edit on 15-8-2017 by alldaylong because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 09:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bwomp83
Ok, stopped at "they feel threatened and reminded of a time when their not-so-distant ancestors were held as slaves" you cant be reminded of a time you never lived in and there is nobody on earth alive anymore that was a part of that time. look, the civil war wasnt about freeing the slaves, the confederate flag wasnt about keeping slaves. The north offered freedom to them only the fact they knew theyd have more people fighting for the north. Please, go to a library. The flag was designed for one purpose by those who made it, for the south.

Then answer me this. If you can't be reminded of a time you never lived in, and nobody is alive anymore from that time, then why on earth do you still need Confederate monuments and flags and symbols around?

Nobody living from that time anymore. So by your logic, none of these monuments need to be on display anymore.

And please don't tell me to go to a library, I have a degree in history and archaeology. The civil War was about lots of things, and one of those things was slavery. To deny is to deny historical fact in favour of alternative racist historical narratives.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 09:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nikola014
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

You guys...

First, I read somewhere that Hitler and Nazism were a white nationalist movement, then I see some of you saying that Swastika is a symbol of nazis?

Really? Do you guys not know that Nazism had nothing to do with race, but with nationality? Meaning the German nazist thought their nation is superior to other nations?

Do you not know that Swastika is one of the oldest symbols in the history? It's used in Buddhism and Hinduism, so, I see nothing racist about it.

And, correct me if I'm wrong(actually, you can't, as you're not an American citizen) but, didn't Confederate people help build the nation as well? As you're from Europe, aren't you aware of just how many Confederate flags we have over here? Why don't you try and take them away as well? As a matter of fact, let's ban every information about Confederation. I heard it might trigger people, and make them really angry and upset.

1) Nazism had a lot to do with race. The Nazis were obsessed with racial purity and Eugenics. Remember that thing called the Holocaust where they set out to make Europe racially pure?

2) The Swastika is ~based~ on an older Hindu symbol, but Hitler reversed it to create the Swastika, so it most assuredly is a racist symbol.

3) If your point is that you're trying to argue that the Swastika isn't a racist symbol and therefore the Confederate flag isn't either, then I fear your argument needs some fine tuning, sorry.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Black Peigion's latest video, posted today, kind of sent chills up my spine...

How long before Antifa take sledge hammers to the Lincoln memorial???

“And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do remain together there must be the position of superior and inferior, and I as much as any other man am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race.” - AL

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 09:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Plotus
How 'bout this... We destroy every statue or symbol in the United States, burn down every museum, take every history book and add them to the blaze as well. Destroy the Lincoln memorial, Mt. Rushmore, the Statue of Liberty, cover over every cemetery, and paint everything Beige.

Absolutely nobody is suggesting that should happen.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 09:40 AM
link   
a reply to: IShotMyLastMuse

get rid of it.

Those that FAIL to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

Pretty hard to learn from history when everything has been whitewashed for the pun.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join