It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the Confederate flag RACIST

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 07:45 AM
link   
What a silly reply, Not surprised though. I've personally met a black man down south that has it on his truck, I asked him about it. He explained that his family fought in the civil war with the south and he's proud of his heritage. Then explaining that this is a manufactured issue from northerners, New England liberals. He was very offended, but don't let that get in the way of your knowledge of US history..a reply to: Abysha

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 07:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

I'm not arguing with your ability to 'say it as you see it.' I'm telling you I am not a racist and that your 'racist detector' needs recalibrating.

Well that's the new reality we live in. You don't like my opinion well you must be a racist. This is all going to backfire tremendously.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 07:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Perfectenemy

I'm not arguing with your ability to 'say it as you see it.' I'm telling you I am not a racist and that your 'racist detector' needs recalibrating.

Well that's the new reality we live in. You don't like my opinion well you must be a racist. This is all going to backfire tremendously.

But what if your opinion is racist?

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 07:52 AM
link   
a reply to: [post=22560084]OtherSideOfTheCoin[/po
Your words convey alot of emotional involvement. And that's okay. But sometimes it seems to be slipping away from the actual issue-slavery and the CS flag and how you respond to others. Wish I were in Scotland. I am part Scottish-and about that anger? Well, you are Scottish and probably have red hair. Cool.
edit on 15-8-2017 by Justso because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 07:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin

People that throw the racist label around like candy have no clue what it even means. Nice try.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 07:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Perfectenemy

It's ironic as hell considering my posting history. Mr OSOTC is doubling down and digging deep instead of offering an apology or admitting an error.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 07:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Justso

Your words convey alot of emotional involvement.

Again I am not really that emotional about this.....

But sometimes it seems to be slipping away from the actual issue-slavery and the CS flag and how you respond to others

Fair enough we can all thread drift from time to time, I do usually like to stay on topic but if am going off topic I apologies.

Wish I were in Scotland.

It is a lovely day today!

about that anger? Well, you are Scottish and probably have red hair. Cool.

So am not angry and the only thing about me that is ginger is the Irn-Bru I have just drunk.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 07:58 AM
link   

People that throw the racist label around like candy have no clue what it even means. Nice try.

Have I not already been through that.

Look if you disagree with me thats fine, I am not expecting you to say "yeah am racist".

I just find it odd that all these supposedly not racist people are defending a racist symbol and don't seem to be all that angry about what the far right done to those people in Charlottesville.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 08:02 AM
link   

a reply to: Perfectenemy

It's ironic as hell considering my posting history. Mr OSOTC is doubling down and digging deep instead of offering an apology or admitting an error.

I'm already pondering what happens if my side finds something offensive and just wants to get rid of it because of feelings. I'm sure they will just stand idly by and help us.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Have I not already been through that.

Look if you disagree with me thats fine, I am not expecting you to say "yeah am racist".

I just find it odd that all these supposedly not racist people are defending a racist symbol and don't seem to be all that angry about what the far right done to those people in Charlottesville.

It's very simple because it is just a flag. You want to let it fly be my guest. Why should i be offended by a piece of cloth? This is reaching South Park levels of stupidity.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 09:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: AngryCymraeg

originally posted by: Bwomp83

originally posted by: Dudemo5
Well if we're talking about the Charlotte protests, there were people trucking around with swastikas, so I don't think that was about the confederate flag.

As far as whether the confederate flag was racist, I could be totally wrong (if so, someone will correct me), but I thought those flags were basically put away after the civil war on account of the fact that the South lost, and didn't see the light of day again until the civil rights movement. If that's the case, it seems the sentiment is pretty clear. But like I said, I don't know the history as well as others.

I didnt see any swastikas, kkk, white robes on the videos ive seen from other people. I have however seen it from msm and yall are just eating it up, gobble gobble gobble.... its like yall will believe any poison fed to you is food. Sad

Seriously? Five seconds of searching on Google got me images of imbeciles waving swastika flags at their rally to racial insanity in Charlottesville. Dude, wake up.

Im sure you had no problem finding it on google and msm. But considering the people there protesting that actually recorded some of it didnt show any of that crap at all, its like the left wants to be angry, they want enemys, its like yall dont want to live peacefully.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Also if you guys don't want it to be seen as a hate symbol take it from the next lot of nazi bastards which try to use it as a symbol of hate. If you want it to stand for the people lost in the civil war take that symbol back!.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Yuuuup!

K~

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 01:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Justso
a reply to: Lucidparadox

You need a real history lesson.

The Civil War was about who controlled the economics. Slavery was more, not only, prominent in the south due to their dependence on agrarian economics. The north wanted to control the movement of money and was afraid the south was getting too "rich."

The north and the south during the early 1800s also, as today, have rich but very different cultures.

The Civil War is the largest black spot in our country's history where we killed our own, worse than both World Wars combined. Huge hurts still exist 160 years later. It is hard to really say who "won" despite what text books write.

Generations since the war do seem to pass down their versions and pride does factor into how one interprets the south's place in this country to this day. Dumb, losers, racists-names used to describe southern culture and keep it down do still exist and, unfortunately, these small groups in the south are quick to take offense and respond.

The Civil War should be taught equally, honestly, nationally with sensitivity to the truth. Kind of like Columbus and the Indian stories. It's a sad day that this flag of pride is being used to provoke hate by the ignorant. It's sad that southerners are still resting culturally in shame and sometimes need to relive the past to regain their pride of culture.

Perhaps it is time to let the flag live as a symbol of the past and not our present or future, especially if it is being used to incite hatred and division again in our country.

Thats exactly my point.

The leadership of the south wanted to overlook the genocide and enslavement of Africans in the US for economic reasons.

Yes their economy was based on agriculture, but at the same time that doesnt excuse slavery.

The by the south wanting to maintain their individual states rights to make the decisions on slavery on a per state basis, they were saying the individual is more important than the whole, if the people want to keep slaves and it makes economic sense.. we will despite the morality.

That decision tarnishes the flag, and should be something the south is ashamed of.

The confederacy REBELLED against our country, the united states.. they tried to secede and used deadly force to try and overtake the north.

There is nothing redeeming about this

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 04:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Abysha
1 - The confederacy was racist.

As an outsider looking in.

The Confederacy was racist, but in the context of the time racism was part of life. Even after the US Civil War, the blacks in America was denied equality and citizenship. The North were not fighting for the blacks in some loving gesture to give them the vote and parity to their white saviours.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 05:07 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyingFox

In 1864? No, the Confederate flag wasn't racist then. In 2017, after being waved around by skin heads and the KKK for a bunch of decades? Hell yes, it's racist.

Prime example of cultural appropriation. The swastika was an ancient good luck symbol till Hitler got his filthy hands on it.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 05:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Look2theSacredHeart

Same with his comedy mustache, once a tash for all comedians now If you walk down the street with that tash you get beaten up.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 05:44 PM
link   
I'm in Michigan. The civil war here has never been a major topic of discussion. No one flies union flags here and very very rarely will you see a confederate flag. Maybe once in a while you'll see a license plate with a confederate flag. I did see a house with one once. Here it's considered a sign of racism.

I was in the south and I was called a Yankee a couple times. It kinda struck me as odd because where I'm from we don't really talk about the south much. I just thought it's not the 1800's what are you talking about?

edit on 15-8-2017 by wantsome because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-8-2017 by wantsome because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 06:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Lucidparadox

You seem to just skim on the history. I've already covered this. No one is saying slavery was a good thing but the war was not over slavery.
Please educate yourself by reading previous threads including Lincoln's 1858 speech.
You sound...young.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 11:37 PM
link   
See also, people use the Confederate flag as symbolic of their right to have any stupid flag they want. It's almost like the Gadsden flag in the respect, even to the point of combining them:

or another right...

Nazi cosplay and even Southern Pride fashion statements aside, any dumb symbol can be used for shock value. It could be something as dumb as a Skull & Crossbones to the ultimate symbol of HATE, the Rainbow flag.

Sure, we have street signs and crosswalks all rainbow pretty for no particular reason. If someone is on the "out group", how close is that to living in any fascist-inspired political system.

Ok, now imagine that's how it's like in ALL cases and examples, symbols are used for oppression. I can even take the perspectives of Mexican or Latinos who are bothered by the American flag.

I say this from my own perspective. With a family connection to lots of early American wars, I don't feel any more bothered by the Union Jack as I do the Union of the Confederacy.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join