It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the Confederate flag RACIST

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 12:57 AM
link   
I don't know about racist, but I do know it was the flag of the south and those who still wave it cannot accept that they lost. oh wait, isn't that what people are saying about the left? Sore losers?

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 01:12 AM
link   
Well, the confederate flag is a flag that represents a army that was routed and utterly smashed into the ground by the US armed forces. Racist or not, its simply ridiculous...it serves as a reminder that some backwoods jacktards like to fly around a failed anti-us flag because....they were born in a southern place and told to. Its akin to people waving nazi flags around in germany...its a failed and destroyed movement that only serves as a reminder of what sh-theads ruled germany back then, same with the con flag.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 01:19 AM
link   
Its an inanimate object .

Inanimate objects are not racist , sexist or whatever other idiotic descripter is in vogue for the day .

Just shows some people have far too much time on their hands and nothing better to do than whine about # that doesnt mean a damn thing .

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 01:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Abysha

originally posted by: FlyingFox

originally posted by: Abysha
a reply to: FlyingFox

Is the Confederate flag RACIST

Duh.

Ok...uhh, HOW?

1 - The confederacy was racist. Again, duh.

Repeating it doesn't answer the question of "how?".

This isn't a grade school civics exam, you need to explain your answer.

Race based slavery occurred all around the world, and most of the enabling governments STILL exist.

en.wikipedia.org...

Ipso facto, all of the governments all over the world are racist, and so are their flags.

So now we're triggered by ANY flag?

What about Southern families who never owned slaves, are they automatically racist due to heritage?

According to your "logic"...

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 01:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Abysha
Wrong , so wrong.
What was the real name for the War folks call Civil ?
What was it about ? (until1863 , 2 years in and a failing North.)
What happened in 1863 to change the outlook and the name ?
Bet you have to Google those , huh ?
What was the "Confederate Flag" for ?
Have you ever seen a Confederate Flag in the US ? Pictures or TV doesnt count. And it has to be while standing on US soil.

edit on 8/15/17 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 01:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
Wrong , so wrong.
What was the real name for the War folks call Civil ?
What was it about ? (until1863 , 2 years in and a failing North.)
What happened in 1863 to change the outlook and the name ?
Bet you have to Google those , huh ?
What was the "Confederate Flag" for ?
Have you ever seen a Confederate Flag in the US ? Pictures or TV doesnt count. And it has to be while standing on US soil.

From the confederate constitution:

In all such territory the institution of negro slavery, as it now exists in the Confederate States, shall be recognized and protected by Congress and by the Territorial government; and the inhabitants of the several Confederate States and Territories shall have the right to take to such Territory any slaves lawfully held by them in any of the States or Territories of the Confederate States.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 02:15 AM
link   

are you kidding? i've seen dozens and dozens.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 02:20 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 02:24 AM
link   
i imagine it would be more productive discussions if everyone come out behind from the flagsa reply to: FlyingFox

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 02:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: fiverx313

Really ? Not State Flags nor Battle Flags of the Confederacy , true Confederate Flags ?
In which State ?

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 02:26 AM
link   

Hmm.Strange . I didnt ask 1 question on the Confederate Constitution .
Oh , back to your copy/paste
Slavery was not Un-Constitutional from either side until when ?
Deflection , much ?
edit on 8/15/17 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 02:36 AM
link   

According to whom?liberals put confederate flag with KKK members,in the civil war the confederate had most of blacks in their army,it's the racist liberal who overlooks the fact it is a reminder of when the US fought the federal reserve,over control of currency,now it is like anything else anymore,if you like something it's bound to bother a liberal

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 02:49 AM
link   

y'all are cute trying to defend the confederate flag. it's got an almost mystical, security-blanket like quality for some folks. do you think if the south won the war your lives would be better, or what? :/

Very high level quality reply there.
If the South had of won there would be 2 countries instead of 1. And , most likely , no slavery anyway. Folks had to shed the rest of their British Colonial mindset at one time or another...

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 03:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlyingFox
This question seems to be at the root of some ongoing debate, but without it being fully expressed.

If I read current events correctly, it's assumed the Confederate Flag is racist, ipso facto the people associated with it are racists, and subject to whatever punitive action that can be inflicted upon them.

So, is there a sound basis for it being labeled "the official flag of racists"? Is the history so very cut-n-dry?

It seems like a bit of both, a small minority group has usurped the flag, an icon that has wider appeal.

Usually, a subgroup specific flag would be more unique, with maybe just an extra feature blazoned on it. Just spray paint a star in the middle or whatever...

Look at ISIS flag, it says what it is right on it. Is this Confederate flag been adopted to include people who simple view or as historical or a heritage item.

Yes it is. For multiple reasons.

The confederate flag represents The Confederacy. A band of Rebels, rebelling against our country, our Union, so far as to use weapons to do so, using arms. This is terrorist in nature. I would go as far to say the Confederacy in modern times would be balled a terrorist organization.

The Confederacy, in support of slavery, and in the shadow of that support... was against freedom, liberty, and justice for all men in this country, based on the heritage and color of ones skin. They were in support of a system that murdered and enslaved thousands of people. PEOPLE... due to their race and continent of origin. They taught classes to their children that made Africans out to be sub-human.

The confederate flag represents that Ideal, that fight to keep slavery in place, and the leaders that drove citizens of the south top kill thousands of Union soldiers in war. Once again, over the enslavement of Africans among other things.

The Confederacy was defeated. The rebellion was squashed.

Their flag should have died with them.

But it didnt for some reason. It akin to if states and citizens in Germany brandishedthe Nazi flag in support of their "Heritage"... sounds dumb right? Yeah thats why they dont do it.

That is why the confederate flag is racist, and that is why the confederate flag doesnt represent sourthern pride.

edit on 15-8-2017 by Lucidparadox because: typo

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 03:12 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyingFox

There are two flags that could stand being banned and they'd be the Swastika and the ISIS flags. This is for the obvious reasons of them being saturated in hatred and blood. People who wield them are projecting their own dreams of hatred and blood. They want observers to know their beliefs too. Banning wouldn't stop the psychotic fantasies so there's no point banning them.

The Confederate Flag is on a different level in my eyes. For me, it'll always be associated with rock n roll music and rockabilly. It's Elvis singing American Trilogy.

Its other associations are there, sure, but look at the Union Jack. It's flown above an empire of conquered lands. It's as steeped in blood and slavery as the American, Dutch, Belgian and Portuguese flags. We aren't calling these flags racist.

The St. George flag was 'kidnapped' by England's racists for 2-3 decades until it was reclaimed and redeemed. The Confederate flag is in the same boat of being waved around by the Neo-Nazis and supremacist knuckleheads. Why not clean its image instead of burying it in a shallow grave at night?

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 03:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

Yup so we can watch the Dukes of Hazzard reruns again also.
Take it back from the Nazis scum bags who use it as a symbol of racism....(good luck to that though it may take decades).

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 03:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

I shudder to think what people will think should they read into American history pre-civil war. It seems they are just now getting into cherry picked information and nothing within context of the times. The further back they go, the more that will get removed, abolished, banned etc.

To me, this whole thing stands as a testament as to why the monuments should remain. We need to be reminded of the pasts mistakes and fortunes. How we got to this point.

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."
George Orwell, 1984

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 03:19 AM
link   

Really ? Not State Flags nor Battle Flags of the Confederacy , true Confederate Flags ?
In which State ?

i'm talking about the stars and bars, son. i see that # on truck bumpers and flying from flagpoles on people's properties. i've lived in five states at this point and i've seen it in all of them.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 03:21 AM
link   
a reply to: fiverx313

This is the confederate flag.

Stars and bars, as it were. Where might have you seen this?

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 03:25 AM
link   
Threads like this show me how poorly young people have been educated about American history.
North - good guys, South - bad guys.
It's much more complicated than that but the biggest problem is setting precedents.
If it's ok to beat someone up because of a Confederate flag who will be next?
We shouldn't have to have police guarding us any time we want to use the first amendment.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join