It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Protesters pull down Confederate statue at old Durham County courthouse

page: 28
<< 25  26  27    29  30  31 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 08:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: luthier
a reply to: butcherguy

Maybe all the people concerned with history should have been rejecting the symbols being used by racists. At least make some comments like these idiots are abusing history.

Then again look at when a lot of these memorials went up.

However, yes. People can't be babies and babied through life every time something they disagree with is put in front of them.

Vandalizing public property is disgusting and these people acted criminally and went unchallenged.

The scary thing is this stuff is being state sponsored. The states are letting people clash in the streets, tear down monuments,, etc it's disgusting.

My point however confusing it may be is that the lack of dialogue and decay of civility has made appropriate conversations about actual solutions for equality dissappear.

It has been engineered process.

"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."

Quite a reasonable response.

I think the statues should be left up, but certainly I am open to a conversation.

Your quote at the bottom has a lot of truth to it. But it works in the reverse too. Poor people of all races are pushed to believe their problems are cause by poor people of other races.

The irony is there are more similarities between these poor people to each other than wealthier people of their own race.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 08:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Byrd

The reasons for book burning and statue-destroying are quite similar.

Both are objects that represent something the haters want destroyed.

The statues, like the books, are just symbols of things that the ignorant haters want gone. Not sure why. It won't solve racism in our country.

They're like idiots who think that getting rid of hospitals will cure all illness.

So I see a clear association between book-burning Nazi's and idiots who destroy statues.

Their reasoning is identical.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 08:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler

originally posted by: luthier

Maybe all the people concerned with history should have been rejecting the symbols being used by racists. At least make some comments like these idiots are abusing history.

Then again look at when a lot of these memorials went up.

However, yes. People can't be babies and babied through life every time something they disagree with is put in front of them.

Vandalizing public property is disgusting and these people acted criminally and went unchallenged.

The scary thing is this stuff is being state sponsored. The states are letting people clash in the streets, tear down monuments,, etc it's disgusting.

My point however confusing it may be is that the lack of dialogue and decay of civility has made appropriate conversations about actual solutions for equality dissappear.

It has been engineered process.

"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."

Quite a reasonable response.

I think the statues should be left up, but certainly I am open to a conversation.

Your quote at the bottom has a lot of truth to it. But it works in the reverse too. Poor people of all races are pushed to believe their problems are cause by poor people of other races.

The irony is there are more similarities between these poor people to each other than wealthier people of their own race.

It's attributed to LBJ and jumbo. (The quote )

I think they should stay up and possibly just change the description.

Lee for instance was a deep thinker. He wasn't a friend of racism or slavery.

But nobody is out educating about history they are screaming we are right f u!

edit on 15-8-2017 by luthier because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 08:27 AM
link   
I think this is literal iconoclasm a silly and saddening spectacle. The footage on TV news of people actually kicking the statue as it lay on the ground was ridiculous. You don't defeat an idea that way, you just discredit your own.

That said, the people who are objecting to the statue on the grounds that it was only put up in the 20th Century clearly have not much idea about how quickly time passes. By 1900, the US Civil War was only 40 years gone. There would have been veterans still fit and active. For perspective, the last surviving veteran of Napoleon's defeat at the Battle of Waterloo had just died (in 1898), and the only surviving man who was the son of a US Confederate soldier died in 2015

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 08:29 AM
link   
I really wish the governments would publish the list of which criminal activities will be allowed so I can better plan my week.

I am starting to think here is a "who you are" component in who gets a pass on breaking laws.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 08:30 AM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

I think if it will divide the public further your good to go.
edit on 15-8-2017 by luthier because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 08:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
I really wish the governments would publish the list of which criminal activities will be allowed so I can better plan my week.

I am starting to think here is a "who you are" component in who gets a pass on breaking laws.

Just be a congressman.

You can do anything then, plus you get to charge tax payers for doing it!

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 08:31 AM
link   
One element to this discussion I haven't seen mentioned is that sculptures are also art.
What happens when art, architecture and the artists and architects responsible for creating them are also deemed offensive?

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 08:34 AM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

These are the points that need to be made.
What happens when a person grows up without adversity or challenge...

They often end up spoiled college kids vandalizing statues or dressing up in nazi costumes.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 08:35 AM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

Being offended by inanimate objects gives people the power and authority to destroy them.

(reference ISIS)
edit on 15-8-2017 by DBCowboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 08:38 AM
link   
20 pages of "it's history", what absolute BS.
Statues are raised to honor those they represent.

Well America is tired of having treasonous raping slavers honored because our forefathers didn't have the will to finish the job.
The confederates lost their treasonous war, there is no need to have statues honoring these filthy criminals.
Do the Germans have statues honoring SS Generals or concentration camp commanders, no of course not.

Here's a shot of reality, not that you'll listen.

The statues are coming down & there is no amount of whining lying rants that are going to change that.
We have the numbers & we have the will, we will prevail on removing this cancerous ideology from our sociopolitical body.

You've already lost the second civil war, stop with the unnecessary carnage, it will only cause your side more suffering.

K~

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 08:38 AM
link   
A drawing of Mohammed is enough to offend the radical elements of Islam to kill others.

A statue, a work of art, a representation of a civil war character is enough to offend the radical elements of Idiocy to destroy it.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 08:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: aethertek
20 pages of "it's history", what absolute BS.
Statues are raised to honor those they represent.

Well America is tired of having treasonous raping slavers honored because our forefathers didn't have the will to finish the job.
The confederates lost their treasonous war, there is no need to have statues honoring these filthy criminals.
Do the Germans have statues honoring SS Generals or concentration camp commanders, no of course not.

Here's a shot of reality, not that you'll listen.

The statues are coming down & there is no amount of whining lying rants that are going to change that.
We have the numbers & we have the will, we will prevail on removing this cancerous ideology from our sociopolitical body.

You've already lost the second civil war, stop with the unnecessary carnage, it will only cause your side more suffering.

K~

When do you get your toyota with a machine gun?

How about ask your legislature and have a discussion.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 08:40 AM
link   
a reply to: aethertek

Resistance is Futile!

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Why stop there? Tear down Independence Hall, the Washington and Jefferson Monuments, and Mount Rushmore. More symbols of traitors and treasonists. They must be destroyed.

The situational morality spouted by some on here is laughable.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 08:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
A drawing of Mohammed is enough to offend the radical elements of Islam to kill others.

A statue, a work of art, a representation of a civil war character is enough to offend the radical elements of Idiocy to destroy it.

Time for a Ministry of Culture?

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 08:51 AM
link   
We all know that it is all part of the plan. A plan that is being played out right in front of our faces.

A plan that we make sure is fulfilled with our continued will to participate.

We can't feign innocence. We are the actors and the audience. We move at the behest of our puppeteers, and we pay them for their efforts.

This video kinda explains it all.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 08:51 AM
link   
a reply to: aethertek

Oh blessed internet and your anonymity.

I invite you to walk up to the next person sporting a Confederate War Banner on the back of their truck and convey your thoughts about their cancerous ideology. Record the reaction, if possible. You have the numbers, after all.

Thanks bye.
edit on 15-8-2017 by Teikiatsu because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 08:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: Krakatoa

I don't see a difference between this and book-burning.

There is no difference.

When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped up in antifascism.

Or the modern day version.

Scant difference between them and ISIS/Taliban now.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 08:55 AM
link   
In that first video.

They went FULL RETARD.

Kicking,spitting, I loved the guy with the guitar doing his elvis impersonation.

People act like that they are not on the RIGHT side of things.

Surreal.

new topics

top topics

<< 25  26  27    29  30  31 >>

join