It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Protesters pull down Confederate statue at old Durham County courthouse

page: 27
<< 24  25  26    28  29  30 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 03:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler
a reply to: theantediluvian

I expected you to agree that this mob could have went about things in a different way.

As far as campus censorship, here is a database for FIRE (Foundation for Individual Rights in Education).

It lists 11 incidents this year alone, all being censored by the left, including the Dalai Llama.

I would say that this swouldn't be considered an epidemic if looked at in a vacuum, but seeing as how overwhelmingly liberal most universities are, it starts to reek of an echo chamber that doesn't want new ideas being discussed.

www.thefire.org.../viewdisinvitationattemptdetails/58e25e9f14c388482e709f40/

Disinvitation events? You've shifted the goal posts haven't you? You started with violence on college campuses. Now you're talking about "disinvitation events." Do you think that college students have a right to petition the administration of the college they're often paying 35-40-45k+ a year to attend, to disinvite speakers?

Specifically, this what they're talking about with the Dalai Llama:

Chinese Students vs. Dalai Lama

Writing for the main UCSD student newspaper, The Guardian, Ruixuan Wang wrote that the “main reason why many Chinese students are upset is that our university shows little consideration about cultural respect, as he is a politically sensitive person in China.”

Wang wrote, “Commencement is a landmark of our life. Our family members are coming all the way from China, flying for more than 10 hours to celebrate with us. The Dalai Lama, as a political icon, is viewed differently in our country. We want to spend a fantastic time with our family during the commencement, but his presence will ruin our joy. What we want to say is that objectively, he will be an excellent speaker for the commencement. Nonetheless, culturally speaking, his selection to be a presenter is inappropriate in such a situation, considering how many Chinese students and their families are going to attend this commencement.”

UC San Diego stood by its decision to invite the Dalai Lama in a statement.

You're making a lot of assumptions. How many of these are going to turn out to not be "an echo chamber that doesn't want new ideas being discussed?"

Look at this objectively, dispassionately. You're talking about nearly 5,000 schools. How many speeches? 50,000 a year? 150,000 a year? 11 attempted disinvites out of only 11,000 is an instance of 1 in 1000 and how many are going to be like this Dalai Lama disinvite?

How how can you look at statistics like that and not seriously question why right-wing media and political rhetoric are so, so, so disproportionate to the actual occurrence? You don't think that maybe you're in an echo chamber and that's why you have the perception you do?
edit on 2017-8-15 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 04:08 AM
link   
TBH

I don't really have any clue what these status mean, but I do know they're history, and serve as reminders to our past, right or wrong

I'm all for preserving history, here in Europe the UK specifically we have status that represent both wrong and right sides of history

They're not seen as bad or good most of the time people don't even know the story's behind them

Never in a million years would I agree to have a paid mob just destroy them because they have there feelings hurt, they're great reminders, if we destroy these monuments and statues we risk repeating the same and not learning or progressing

This is Nazi level behaviour from the left, no thought or care for anybody that disagrees

If I'm honest America, this is the type of behaviour which would warrant assembling militias, it's time to stand up and call this what it is, civil war

They're a political opposition that's completely lost the plot

The globalists are not stopping, they push the narrative and propaganda and this is what it is leading to, everyday the left become far left lunatics completely obsessed and possessed to destroy the political right

Time to fight

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 04:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: TritonTaranis

I'm all for preserving history, here in Europe the UK specifically we have status that represent both wrong and right sides of history

Only one that really comes to mind is the one in Bristol that most want removing. How many other examples are their of the UK celebrating people with statues that represented such evil?

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 04:32 AM
link   

“Today we got a small taste of justice,” protester Jose Ramos said after the statue was down.

Didn't the statue representing the unknown soldiers of the confederacy get their justice when they lost the war?

Sad, Really.

I made a post a while back when they removed Lee's statue over New Orleans, it was taken down with a crane and such, not an angry mob, and it was a figure head, it made sense. But of a simple soldier?
Honestly, removing all these statues is only just showing ignorance and stupidity really. They are doing to to protect others from racism, and what not, to protect future generations, but, do they really need to make the decision for future generations and their kids? Do they need to hold their hand and erase history, make big boy decisions.
Why not leave the statues and hand them a library card or a book and they can learn for themselves what the civil war was all about.
Instead we have angry people tearing down history, soon the text books are going to be changed.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 05:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: SudoNim

originally posted by: TritonTaranis

Only one that really comes to mind is the one in Bristol that most want removing. How many other examples are their of the UK celebrating people with statues that represented such evil?

How about Oliver Cromwell, lot of people would call him a war criminal after what he did in Ireland.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 05:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krakatoa
I've said it before and I will say it again.

"We must preserve our history, good or bad. Destruction of history is the trail head to our own destruction."

How long until someone decides to destroy some aspect of YOUR own history because it offends them?

What next, books about the Civil War should be removed from the library, or burned because they offend someone?

SMH

People,
, think, before acting out your anger in this manner.

In Germany everybody knows about our history, because of education and stuff.
We don´t have to "preserve history" by raising nazi or GDR flags. Nazi flags are even forbidden by law.
We don´t need any statues of Hitler or Honecker on public german ground, to "preserve history".

Still we germans(plus almost the whole educated world) know about our history.
You can preserve history by education, without worshipping the symbols of the dark side of that history!

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 06:26 AM
link   
a reply to: TritonTaranis

This is Nazi level behaviour from the left, no thought or care for anybody that disagrees

no, no it's not.

the nazi party's manifesto did not start and end with we will remove statues.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 06:29 AM
link   
All the people who keep touting that these protesters are paid are doing themselves a disservice. Is it really that hard to believe that they just wanted to tear down the statue? Especially after what happened before, and in a progressive town. It's become a pretty controversial issue. First you say liberals are brainwashed and nuts, then in the next breath you are claiming it's all a conspiracy and they are paid. Get real.

There are plenty of better arguments to be made. It was illegal to tear it down, after all. I can see both sides of this issue. But it would have been better to just move it to a less offensive location, rather than right in front of the courthouse. I don't see how the statue educates people on history, either. All it shows is how a confederate soldier looked, in the eyes of someone living in the 1920's.

At least people are getting out on streets and caring about issues, so that's a positive. Better than being apathetic.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 06:39 AM
link   
a reply to: matafuchs

There are very large monuments, built by slaves to glorify the slaveholders. All manner of evil was perpetuated on the slaves who built these monuments. We must tear down the Egyptian pyramids.

The left uses the same tactics every time. Burn books (to control the narrative) (also see googles edited edition of fahrenheit 451), use violence to silence opposition, tear down history.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 06:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Cutepants

Liberals are brainwashed nuts for supporting this. The people who are bused in to do the action are paid. No contradiction.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Good move. And I hope they had a great BBQ afterwards. I don't know if it is me but we shouldn't put up statues of traitors who wanted the USA to be destroyed. Whatever their reasons they fought against what this country has become today. Let's not put their statues up in the pubilc...I'm all for leaving them in the history books. But maybe it's just me but I see Confederates as akin to Hitler. And I don't see statues of Hitler sitting at courthouses...I'm just saying..

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 06:46 AM
link   
a reply to: ltheghost

As you're obviously ignorant of the history, maybe you should look it up before the left makes everyone remove it.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 06:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
It all starts with the beer hall meetings !!

Except now they are "Pizza" Hall 'meetings.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 06:51 AM
link   
a reply to: aethertek

History is there so that people don't repeat the same mistakes. Destroying history = doomed species destined to make the same mistake over and over again.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 06:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dfairlite

There are very large monuments, built by slaves to glorify the slaveholders. All manner of evil was perpetuated on the slaves who built these monuments. We must tear down the Egyptian pyramids.

The left uses the same tactics every time. Burn books (to control the narrative) (also see googles edited edition of fahrenheit 451), use violence to silence opposition, tear down history.

Sorry to interrupt, but no, the Pyramids were not built by slaves. They were built by paid workers. How do we know this? The ruins of their quarters still exist, along with some of their tombs. Apologies, but it annoys me when people repeat that old myth.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 07:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Dfairlite

Just saying it would be cheaper to let liberals do it then, rather than hire someone.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 07:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Painterz

People no longer wish to tolerate having to see symbols of slavery that are worshipped by white supremacists and nazis.

Should the Washington Monument be toppled?

Monticello?

The White House?

Hell, the US Capitol Building was built under the watchful eyes of elected officials that owned slaves. Better knock it down too.

Maybe they would be better off stopping slavery that still exists today.
edit on b000000312017-08-15T07:09:11-05:0007America/ChicagoTue, 15 Aug 2017 07:09:11 -0500700000017 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 07:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian

originally posted by: Grambler
a reply to: theantediluvian

I expected you to agree that this mob could have went about things in a different way.

As far as campus censorship, here is a database for FIRE (Foundation for Individual Rights in Education).

It lists 11 incidents this year alone, all being censored by the left, including the Dalai Llama.

I would say that this swouldn't be considered an epidemic if looked at in a vacuum, but seeing as how overwhelmingly liberal most universities are, it starts to reek of an echo chamber that doesn't want new ideas being discussed.

www.thefire.org.../viewdisinvitationattemptdetails/58e25e9f14c388482e709f40/

Disinvitation events? You've shifted the goal posts haven't you? You started with violence on college campuses. Now you're talking about "disinvitation events." Do you think that college students have a right to petition the administration of the college they're often paying 35-40-45k+ a year to attend, to disinvite speakers?

Specifically, this what they're talking about with the Dalai Llama:

Chinese Students vs. Dalai Lama

Writing for the main UCSD student newspaper, The Guardian, Ruixuan Wang wrote that the “main reason why many Chinese students are upset is that our university shows little consideration about cultural respect, as he is a politically sensitive person in China.”

Wang wrote, “Commencement is a landmark of our life. Our family members are coming all the way from China, flying for more than 10 hours to celebrate with us. The Dalai Lama, as a political icon, is viewed differently in our country. We want to spend a fantastic time with our family during the commencement, but his presence will ruin our joy. What we want to say is that objectively, he will be an excellent speaker for the commencement. Nonetheless, culturally speaking, his selection to be a presenter is inappropriate in such a situation, considering how many Chinese students and their families are going to attend this commencement.”

UC San Diego stood by its decision to invite the Dalai Lama in a statement.

You're making a lot of assumptions. How many of these are going to turn out to not be "an echo chamber that doesn't want new ideas being discussed?"

Look at this objectively, dispassionately. You're talking about nearly 5,000 schools. How many speeches? 50,000 a year? 150,000 a year? 11 attempted disinvites out of only 11,000 is an instance of 1 in 1000 and how many are going to be like this Dalai Lama disinvite?

How how can you look at statistics like that and not seriously question why right-wing media and political rhetoric are so, so, so disproportionate to the actual occurrence? You don't think that maybe you're in an echo chamber and that's why you have the perception you do?

If it happened even once in reverse, liberals would howl with outrage.

You know there is more to it than just the rioting. There are the dis invitations, the shifting of venues, the ridiculous fees all imposed on conservative speakers.

Not to mention the overall majority of faculty being left wing, the curriculum being rife with leftists cultural marxism at almost every university, the calls for safe spaces and the taking over of areas of campus.

But its not the topic of the thread.

When I get time, I will make a thread on just how partisan and disgusting universities have became.

Meanwhile, you say I am making an overblown deal out of this, while you howl about Trump retweeting someone from the alt right.

Leftsist riot or censor right wing speaker = overblown and not a big deal.

Trump retweets someone in alt right- enormous deal.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 08:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

It all started with a flag.

"It's just a flag" people said, "One flag. It's not censorship or destroying history".

And so it begins. . . . .

The flag the Republicans took down after the white supremacist shot up the church. Didn't trump then pick the woman who led the charge in his caninet?

The flag the legislatures turned into a symbol of racial divide when they decided to put it up in protest of ending segregation?

I get what your saying but conservatives should put some blame on the idiots who turned that flag into symbol of hatred in the 60's by raising it in protest to blacks getting rights.

edit on 15-8-2017 by luthier because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 08:10 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

Maybe all the people concerned with history should have been rejecting the symbols being used by racists. At least make some comments like these idiots are abusing history.

Then again look at when a lot of these memorials went up.

However, yes. People can't be babies and babied through life every time something they disagree with is put in front of them.

Vandalizing public property is disgusting and these people acted criminally and went unchallenged.

The scary thing is this stuff is being state sponsored. The states are letting people clash in the streets, tear down monuments,, etc it's disgusting.

My point however confusing it may be is that the lack of dialogue and decay of civility has made appropriate conversations about actual solutions for equality dissappear.

It has been engineered process.

"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."

War on poverty, lol. Yeah right.
edit on 15-8-2017 by luthier because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 24  25  26    28  29  30 >>

join