It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Protesters pull down Confederate statue at old Durham County courthouse

page: 24
<< 21  22  23    25  26  27 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 11:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien

originally posted by: Teikiatsu

originally posted by: carewemust

I do understand their view of hating that statue. It was wrong to tear it down illegally tho I agree.
But let me play devil's advocate for a minute.
What if it was a statue of someone holding a noose and it has been there for 100 years?

Why didn't they tear it down when Obama was President? They might have received a Presidential Medal of Valor, or something.

Oh I read that too fast and misunderstood.
I have no idea? Could it be due to the Alt-right, the KKK and the white supremacy rallies and them supporting Trump and want the statues to be left alone?

I'm just saying that if Black people have hated that statue for so long, why'd they wait until the Black President was out of office before ripping it down? Do it when Obama is there and they might be applauded by the President.

It could be due to the white supremacists fanning the flame since Trump won. Who knows?

That's shifting the blame. Better to say they are mad at Trump and think this will offend him.

Not necessarily. It's almost like inciting to riot. Actually I would say both sides are to blame. They are doing this to each other.

Who is to blame? The inciter or the mob? Do we blame words or actions? (Yes I'm thinking about the girl who convince that guy to commit suicide.)

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 11:38 PM
link   

a reply to: JinMI

As I have stated I was playing devil's advocate to get all of us to try to make some sense of it.
But yeah none of this makes any sense. It's a mayhem.

I know, I'm not attacking. Simply attempting to explain that even the most reasoned logic behind it doesn't stack up.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 11:38 PM
link   

I do understand their view of hating that statue. It was wrong to tear it down illegally tho I agree.
What if it was a statue of someone holding a noose and it has been there for 100 years?

Why didn't they tear it down when Obama was President? They might have received a Presidential Medal of Valor, or something.

I have no idea? Could it be due to the Alt-right, the KKK and the white supremacy rallies and them supporting Trump and want the statues to be left alone?

I'm just saying that if Black people have hated that statue for so long, why'd they wait until the Black President was out of office before ripping it down? Do it when Obama is there and they might be applauded by the President.

It could be due to the white supremacists fanning the flame since Trump won. Who knows?

That's shifting the blame. Better to say they are mad at Trump and think this will offend him.

Not necessarily. It's almost like inciting to riot. Actually I would say both sides are to blame. They are doing this to each other.

Who is to blame? The inciter or the mob? Do we blame words or actions? (Yes I'm thinking about the girl who convince that guy to commit suicide.)

Oh don't even start there. LOL.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 11:39 PM
link   

There is a home in my town that has a statue of a black-face man holding a lantern, next to their driveway. Helps them (and visitors) see where to turn in at night.

I've been expecting that someone would destroy that 4 foot tall statue, but after 12 years, he's still standing and holding the lit lantern every night.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Yeah...could be. So they do it out of anger TODAY, even though they've hated the statue for years. In that case, the law-breakers should THANK the White Supremacists, for giving them COURAGE.

Yeah that's one way of seeing it.

If you poke out one eye first perhaps.
There is no justifying this, other people paid to create these monument to honor their loved ones.
They don't belong to the cities to just tear down when they have a bad hair day.
They belong to future generations in perpetuity.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 11:40 PM
link   

There is a home in my town that has a statue of a black-face man holding a lantern, next to their driveway. Helps them (and visitors) see where to turn in at night.

I've been expecting that someone would destroy that 4 foot tall statue, but after 12 years, he's still standing and holding the lit lantern every night.

Oh I love those statues.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 11:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

As I have stated I was playing devil's advocate to get all of us to try to make some sense of it.
But yeah none of this makes any sense. It's a mayhem.

I know, I'm not attacking. Simply attempting to explain that even the most reasoned logic behind it doesn't stack up.

You cannot find logic in hate. Hate merely wishes to grow ans spread to stay alive. Destruction is easy, preservation is hard. The idea that everyone needs to think the same and always agree is not logical either. But, some people get so wound up in that rhetoric that they snap when the find they cannot get their way.

That, in itself, is illogical.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Trump 2020. It's a lock now. Thanks Alt-Left!

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 11:43 PM
link   

a reply to: Deaf Alien

I see what you're getting at, but is there anything even remotely close to that in existence? A statue of man on horseback is not the same.

I mean if we are going to get into the nitty-gritty, there are plenty of statues out there with a more than dubious past. They are all worthy of the discussion but are they worthy of being torn down by angry mobs?

That's just it. Like Abysha said pick our battles. I don't condone tearing down ANY statue. But you gotta see where the anger is coming from.

How about a real-world example? Defiant Girl in New York. It's presence and direction have modified the interpretation of what the Charging Bull stands for. To some it is vibrant feminism, to others it is parasitic art and toxic feminista.

Some people decide they don't like it anymore and rip it out of the ground and break it.

(Bonus hypothetical: instead of breaking it to pieces, they instead plant it to the side of the Bull in a cooperative pose, or place it on a horn as if it were being gored.)

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 11:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Asktheanimals

Yeah...could be. So they do it out of anger TODAY, even though they've hated the statue for years. In that case, the law-breakers should THANK the White Supremacists, for giving them COURAGE.

Yeah that's one way of seeing it.

If you poke out one eye first perhaps.
There is no justifying this, other people paid to create these monument to honor their loved ones.
They don't belong to the cities to just tear down when they have a bad hair day.
They belong to future generations in perpetuity.

These animals couldn't even spell posterity.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 11:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tempter
Trump 2020. It's a lock now. Thanks Alt-Left!

FYI the Alt-Left hates the SJWs, BLM and Antifa BS.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Weird how the article labeled them as protesters.

The entire act was against the law. A better label would be anarchists.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 11:50 PM
link   

I see what you're getting at, but is there anything even remotely close to that in existence? A statue of man on horseback is not the same.

I mean if we are going to get into the nitty-gritty, there are plenty of statues out there with a more than dubious past. They are all worthy of the discussion but are they worthy of being torn down by angry mobs?

That's just it. Like Abysha said pick our battles. I don't condone tearing down ANY statue. But you gotta see where the anger is coming from.

How about a real-world example? Defiant Girl in New York. It's presence and direction have modified the interpretation of what the Charging Bull stands for. To some it is vibrant feminism, to others it is parasitic art and toxic feminista.

Some people decide they don't like it anymore and rip it out of the ground and break it.

(Bonus hypothetical: instead of breaking it to pieces, they instead plant it to the side of the Bull in a cooperative pose, or place it on a horn as if it were being gored.)

I see nothing hateful about the Defiant Girl so I dunno. Though I could see how someone would try to remove it after violent feminists and anti-feminists clash. But then again it's hypothetical.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 11:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi

Yeah, I wonder whose idea it was to call them protestors instead of vandals. Probably the mayor, Bill Bell.

Look at this:

Bell also has been accused of being anti-preservation, as his company, UDI, gets many Durham contracts to demolish historic structures.
.en.wikipedia.org...(mayor)

Makes you wonder if those vandals were paid to do this!!!!!
edit on 14-8-2017 by queenofswords because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 11:52 PM
link   

The point I'm getting at is that if this statue is the cause of racism, why has it stood for so long?

This reminds me of my 18 month old son. When he gets mad, he throws his cup. His cup didn't do anything nor does it contain the object of his anger.

oh, i see where we're missing the connection -- i didn't mean to suggest the statues cause racism, but they do serve as a seeming government endorsement of it, and encouragement to people to celebrate the confederate cause as a noble thing. the time for that is well past.

nazi flags never put anyone in an oven and yet they're illegal in germany, after all.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 11:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Asktheanimals

Any clue what "left for posterity" means?
It means there is something worth learning about the man whose statue you just pulled down.

This was left for posterity. In a museum.

Where it belongs.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 11:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi

If you do a News search of Durham, you'll see that every outlet calls them "Protestors" or "Demonstrators". I sure hope that President Trump has been made so "sensitive" by criticism, that he shies away from calling out this disgraceful, law-breaking act tomorrow.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 11:57 PM
link   
a reply to: fiverx313

Again, if this is some beacon of white supremacy, why has it been up for so long? Is a racist agenda the only thing the statue is known for? These are all subjective arguments to that main theme anyway.

The people who tore down the statue had no authority, mandate, or regard for the law when doing so. From here, what's next; Lincoln? Grant? Washington and all attributed monuments?

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 11:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: MRuss
a reply to: matafuchs

Pretending the past never happened has never been a good wat to approach the future.

Makes you wonder, hypothetically if every vestige of slavery and racism were purged... why would we have remembrance of MLK, Selma, the Civil Rights Act, etc? People would ask, what are these for?

Correct. We should bring back gold stars for Jewish folk to wear just in case we all forget.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 11:59 PM
link   

I see nothing hateful about the Defiant Girl so I dunno. Though I could see how someone would try to remove it after violent feminists and anti-feminists clash. But then again it's hypothetical.

That's where we differ. I'm in the camp that sees it as hateful, anti-capitalist, parasitic and toxic feminism. I'd love to see it go.

But I'm also just as happy to see this:

top topics

<< 21  22  23    25  26  27 >>

join