It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Protesters pull down Confederate statue at old Durham County courthouse

page: 23
<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 11:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien

originally posted by: carewemust

I do understand their view of hating that statue. It was wrong to tear it down illegally tho I agree.
But let me play devil's advocate for a minute.
What if it was a statue of someone holding a noose and it has been there for 100 years?

Why didn't they tear it down when Obama was President? They might have received a Presidential Medal of Valor, or something.

Oh I read that too fast and misunderstood.
I have no idea? Could it be due to the Alt-right, the KKK and the white supremacy rallies and them supporting Trump and want the statues to be left alone?

I'm just saying that if Black people have hated that statue for so long, why'd they wait until the Black President was out of office before ripping it down? Do it when Obama is there and they might be applauded by the President.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 11:30 PM
link   

I do understand their view of hating that statue. It was wrong to tear it down illegally tho I agree.
What if it was a statue of someone holding a noose and it has been there for 100 years?

Why didn't they tear it down when Obama was President? They might have received a Presidential Medal of Valor, or something.

I have no idea? Could it be due to the Alt-right, the KKK and the white supremacy rallies and them supporting Trump and want the statues to be left alone?

I'm just saying that if Black people have hated that statue for so long, why'd they wait until the Black President was out of office before ripping it down? Do it when Obama is there and they might be applauded by the President.

It could be due to the white supremacists fanning the flame since Trump won. Who knows?

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 11:30 PM
link   

a reply to: Krakatoa

Ok I'll be more clear this time.
What if it was a statue of a famous Grand Wizard holding a noose in a southern state? What if the government refuses to remove it citing the historical significance in their area?

Sen Byrd? though.. WVa isn't quite south it's sort of middlin...

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 11:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

I see what you're getting at, but is there anything even remotely close to that in existence? A statue of man on horseback is not the same.

I mean if we are going to get into the nitty-gritty, there are plenty of statues out there with a more than dubious past. They are all worthy of the discussion but are they worthy of being torn down by angry mobs?

link   

a reply to: Krakatoa

Ok I'll be more clear this time.
What if it was a statue of a famous Grand Wizard holding a noose in a southern state? What if the government refuses to remove it citing the historical significance in their area?

After a legal referendum failed to pass by the voters in the area?

Then, those that still wish to remove it need to do more work to convince the local population that this should be moved or removed. Then file another motion for a referendum to remove it, repeat, repeat, repeat. The key is getting the number of votes to get your referendum passed. That involves a lot more work than simply ignoring the law and using vigilante justice to enact your own will upon the community, against the communities wishes.

link   

looked like it was pretty much white people pulling it down.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 11:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

I see what you're getting at, but is there anything even remotely close to that in existence? A statue of man on horseback is not the same.

I mean if we are going to get into the nitty-gritty, there are plenty of statues out there with a more than dubious past. They are all worthy of the discussion but are they worthy of being torn down by angry mobs?

That's just it. Like Abysha said pick our battles. I don't condone tearing down ANY statue. But you gotta see where the anger is coming from.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 11:33 PM
link   

It could be due to the white supremacists fanning the flame since Trump won. Who knows?

That's shifting the blame. Better to say they are mad at Trump and think this will offend him.

link   

Yeah...could be. So they do it out of anger TODAY, even though they've hated the statue for years. In that case, the law-breakers should THANK the White Supremacists, for giving them COURAGE.

link   

Simply put, yes. Did they just start being racist?

i understand your question in a literal sense but i can't say i understand the point of it. was hitler wrong before we went to war against him, or was he right up until that point? was slavery right before the civil war started?

times change, and changes are more easily made at some times than others.

link   

Yeah...could be. So they do it out of anger TODAY, even though they've hated the statue for years. In that case, the law-breakers should THANK the White Supremacists, for giving them COURAGE.

Yeah that's one way of seeing it.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 11:34 PM
link   
a reply to: matafuchs

Pretending the past never happened has never been a good way to approach the future.
edit on 14-8-2017 by MRuss because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 11:35 PM
link   

I think that's just it, the anger makes no logical sense. You and Abysha don't pull punches to where your political views bend. Even you two can't see the sense in this.

You however are trying to make the appeal to be in there shoes, meanwhile your attempt is a strawman argument. IMO there is not much sense made here legally other than anarchy.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Any clue what "left for posterity" means?
It means there is something worth learning about the man whose statue you just pulled down.

edit on 14-8-2017 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 11:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Teikiatsu

That's shifting the blame. Better to say they are mad at Trump and think this will offend him.

Not necessarily. It's almost like inciting to riot. Actually I would say both sides are to blame. They are doing this to each other.

link   

originally posted by: MRuss
a reply to: matafuchs

Pretending the past never happened has never been a good wat to approach the future.

Makes you wonder, hypothetically if every vestige of slavery and racism were purged... why would we have remembrance of MLK, Selma, the Civil Rights Act, etc? People would ask, what are these for?

link   

That would be an actual depiction of a murderous individual and an open threat of violence (noose). That should come down...but, you would never find a statue like that being honored.

The man on this monument was a depiction of a soldier representing the honorable boys from that area that died during that period of history. Those young men were not Hitlers. They were honorable and deserve a monument.

link   

originally posted by: fiverx313

Simply put, yes. Did they just start being racist?

i understand your question in a literal sense but i can't say i understand the point of it. was hitler wrong before we went to war against him, or was he right up until that point? was slavery right before the civil war started?

times change, and changes are more easily made at some times than others.

The point I'm getting at is that if this statue is the cause of racism, why has it stood for so long?

This reminds me of my 18 month old son. When he gets mad, he throws his cup. His cup didn't do anything nor does it contain the object of his anger.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 11:37 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

As I have stated I was playing devil's advocate to get all of us to try to make some sense of it.
But yeah none of this makes any sense. It's a mayhem.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 11:37 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust
maybe they hoped that if there was no statue to fight over, the mob would have nothing to motivate them to flock to their town to fight about???

top topics

<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join