It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Protesters pull down Confederate statue at old Durham County courthouse

page: 22
<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 11:12 PM
link   
a reply to: fiverx313

i mean... what did you think people wanted them moved for, if not because they condone racism? just to be mean to history buffs? :/

Simply put, yes. Did they just start being racist?

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 11:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

originally posted by: Ameilia
a reply to: DBCowboy

Anyone know if these people are going to face charges for destruction of property?

They are not. There were no arrests and that statement was made from the local PD.

That's frigging sick. The anarchy is winning, apparently.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 11:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: JacKatMtn
a reply to: JinMI

Still optimistic on that... JInMI... we have an awesome opportunity in 2018.... just have to get folks motivated usher in a new Congress..

matters not that they are all GOP... I want a fresh Constitution Loving American Congress...

Been decades since we've had one....

2018 is our chance to send the globalists' home....

I think we can do it.. and ... it won't be just GOP... it will be bringing in true Liberals on the DEM side... not the commies who are in control

You are seriously delusional. The middle controls the country, and you are obviously not a part of it.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 11:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien

originally posted by: carewemust

I do understand their view of hating that statue. It was wrong to tear it down illegally tho I agree.
But let me play devil's advocate for a minute.
What if it was a statue of someone holding a noose and it has been there for 100 years?

Why didn't they tear it down when Obama was President? They might have received a Presidential Medal of Valor, or something.

Where?

At the White House. It seems that they should have felt more empowered and immune to prosecution when "brother Obama" was running the country.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 11:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

I do understand their view of hating that statue. It was wrong to tear it down illegally tho I agree.
What if it was a statue of someone holding a noose and it has been there for 100 years?

Why didn't they tear it down when Obama was President? They might have received a Presidential Medal of Valor, or something.

Oh I read that too fast and misunderstood.
I have no idea? Could it be due to the Alt-right, the KKK and the white supremacy rallies and them supporting Trump and want the statues to be left alone?

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 11:16 PM
link   

edit on 14-8-2017 by Abysha because: Too macabre

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 11:17 PM
link   

But it wasn't. It's a statue of an honorable man. No nooses. No vile language engraved. Just a statue of a man that belonged right where he was....in Durham, NC.

link   
a reply to: ketsuko
as if the guy going 40-50 mph would be able to tell the difference..

there were two groups at the intersection by what I hear, one was heading away from the actual protest site after the cops ordered the crowds to disperse, the second was coming from the opposite direction, they had heard that some of the unite the right group had gone into a predominantly black neighborhood to cause trouble and went there to see if they could help out, I think that the nurse that showed up at the accident to help may have been from that group. that was why there was so many people at the intersection, that's where the two groups happened to merge... the lady who was killed was there among them, her friends say she was walking around asking people why they had come...I guess it depends on what you mean by counter protester.. I mean if the guy had come tearing through just a little later, it could have been the nurse that was nailed instead... and she was out there mainly running around trying to figure out where her skills as an RN would be of most use!!!

but none of that matters...
first, anybody who left their homes that day were putting themselves in danger it sounds like, since once the main rally broke up, they all scattered in different directions, and like I already said, it seems that some purposely went into a predominately black neighborhood to cause trouble..
and second... the statue in question was in their town... their voice should carry more weight in the matter than the hundreds of outsiders who traveled across the country to come!!! they're the ones paying the salaries of all these cops who the outsiders are whining about not protecting them!!! they're the ones who gonna have to go out probably and pick up the mess those outsiders leave behind. if those outsiders can't find enough respect for the residents of the town that they are in to not go marching through their streets shouting racial slurs and claiming the town as their own, pulling guns on people in at their wal mart parking lot, and filling their emergency rooms with the victims of their insanity... then maybe they should just not be there! they certainly should be trying to attribute any blame on the the city's residents because they ventured outside of their home...FOR ANY REASON..
protest on your own streets, beat up your own neighbors, kill your own residents if you must act like jerks!!!

link   

What is the context? What if it was a lawman who was preparing to publicly hang a notorious criminal?

A noose by itself is just a piece of rope.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 11:18 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

Too many who have been silent for TOO long and allowed this to happen.. are also TOO quick to promote some kind of Violent solution...

Madness... The biggest blow to the Globalist movement happened at the ballot box....

President Trump....

If that doesn't wake folks up that VOTES and ELECTIONS mean something, I guess, this GRAND EXPERIMENT is lost, and the Globalists that allowed this to happen way back when, will have been proved right....

Which is sad.. because America, despite it's faults.. has accomplished so much.... would be a shame if it were destroyed from within...

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 11:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: queenofswords

But it wasn't. It's a statue of an honorable man. No nooses. No vile language engraved. Just a statue of a man that belonged right where he was....in Durham, NC.

I was presenting to you how they view and feel about the statue. That was my intent. The white supremacy rally only flamed the hatred.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 11:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: fiverx313

originally posted by: JinMI
a reply to: fiverx313

I'm not following.

Unless your getting around to saying that by having this statue, the government is condoning racism. Evil Kinevel couldn't make that leap.

it's not much of a leap. the majority of these monuments were erected during the reconstruction and after, to reaffirm southern devotion to the lost cause. keeping them on public property is indeed condoning racism. that's why people want them moved.

i mean... what did you think people wanted them moved for, if not because they condone racism? just to be mean to history buffs? :/

not to be mean to the history buffs, but to be mean to the ignorant. I lost family on both sides from the revolution to WWII, there are a lot of ignorant people in the world.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 11:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Teikiatsu

What is the context? What if it was a lawman who was preparing to publicly hang a notorious criminal?

I thought the context was clear. Of course a noose by itself is just a piece of rope.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Isn't that symbol a mirror image of the swatika? The 'feet' walk to the right instead of the left?

Just to keep the full historical theme going ..... the full history

here.
www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 11:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

My opinion is that their FEELINGS about the statue doesn't give them the right to tear it down. There are more living in that county than just these brats that vandalized a town's monument. If a referendum had been issued to the people to vote on, and the majority voted to keep the monument, what then?

We can't be caving in to feelings and butthurt brats that want to foment mayhem and chaos. We have laws and processes to address grievances, and if you lose, suck it up and get over it. Maybe try to add another layer to one's shallow immature thinking.

edit on 14-8-2017 by queenofswords because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 11:24 PM
link   
a reply to: queenofswords

Oh I agree. I am just trying to put it in context to see where the hatred and anger are coming from and the reason for the hate. The white supremacists don't certainly help much.

edit on 8/14/2017 by Deaf Alien because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 11:26 PM
link   

I thought the context was clear. Of course a noose by itself is just a piece of rope.

You said a statue of a man holding a noose. That is all. Being so general, it could be interpreted in many different ways. Context is everything.

Was that spot the site of an infamous lynching in the past?

Was that the spot where the rope was made to hang an infamous gunslinger out west?

Was that the site of an art exhibit?

Was it depicting a man holding a noose to symbolize our celebrating our success in abolishing this mode of execution?

Context is key in each of those cases.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Oh I agree. I am just trying to put it in context to see where the hatred and anger are coming from and the reason for the hate. The white supremacists don't certainly help much.

Do they ever help under any circumstance?

(EDIT: Same question goes for supremacists of any kind)
edit on 14-8-2017 by Teikiatsu because: (no reason given)

link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

Ok I'll be more clear this time.
What if it was a statue of a famous Grand Wizard holding a noose in a southern state? What if the government refuses to remove it citing the historical significance in their area?

link   

Do they ever help under any circumstance?

Nope never.

new topics

top topics

<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join