It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Protesters pull down Confederate statue at old Durham County courthouse

page: 20
<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 10:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: BubbaJoe
a reply to: ketsuko

Ket you are better than this, horrible comparisisan. That young lady did not deserve to die.

I didn't say she did. I said she put herself in a risky position. There is a difference.

Surfers put themselves in risky positions off the SoCal coast all the time. Does openly saying that mean I am saying they deserve to all get killed by sharks?

No. Good grief!

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 10:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Abysha
If you had Jewish roommates, would they be cool with a swastika hanging on the wall of your living room?

I'm not implying you have one, by the way. Position it this way: would you be comfortable renting a room in a house with a giant swastika on a living room wall?

Well now we're talking history .....

The swastika was an Indian symbol (of good luck i believe) long before the

Nazis used it.

It is used to this day all over India.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 10:55 PM
link   

At least you got one thing right... those white supremacists are sharks and need to go.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 10:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: eletheia

If you had Jewish roommates, would they be cool with a swastika hanging on the wall of your living room?

I'm not implying you have one, by the way. Position it this way: would you be comfortable renting a room in a house with a giant swastika on a living room wall?

Nazis used it.

Oh gods, don't even start with that.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 10:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

originally posted by: fiverx313

originally posted by: JinMI
Virtue signaling aside, I was leading the conversation to the ultimate end. Where does the hypocrisy stop? The same minds that tore this statue down, think you shouldn't own anything having to do with the confederacy.

i'm sorry, i don't agree. i find it distasteful if people have private ownership of hateful material, but that's entirely distinct from endorsing it on public property.

Then perhaps you can say where it ends?

i thought public property/government endorsement was a pretty clear delineation, no?

link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien
a reply to: Teikiatsu

You do realize that I agree with you about people knowing the risks of going to those rallies? Right?

Yes, but the non-chalant vibe I'm getting about 'oh just a little fighting is okay' but then shocked that someone got killed is more than a little aggravating. As much as I want the driver to go to jail, I don't think it was pre-meditated murder. I see it as just the next step in escalation: involuntary manslaughter. That woman drew the short stick. But she also entered the lottery in the first place, of her own conscious choice.

The real premeditated murder has been at BLM protests and Ferguson, targeting cops. It's just a matter of time, the escalation will continue.

link   

originally posted by: Krakatoa

originally posted by: Teikiatsu

Uh I know that? I know that those people knew the risks of injury and death. The point is the insinuation that the woman had it coming when someone murdered her. That looks like a justification of murder.

If this had happened to a man would anyone be comparing this to a rape or saying 'he had it coming?'

Seriously? Welcome to the 21st century. Feminism says we judge her as an autonomous person responsible for her own actions!

It's a tragedy, yes. It's criminal. I want them to investigate and convict the driver. Thoughts and prayers to her family and friends.

BUT

She wasn't just walking from point A to point B. She made a conscious choice to put herself in harm's way with a group of people who were present *illegally* to cause trouble and probably get in a 'little fighting, breaking noses, blacken eyes, etc.'

Can't stand the heat? Don't walk into the fire! That's what I'd say about a guy, that's what I'll say about a woman.

Do you have a source for her being their illegally? Or just spouting fox news bs?

The original groups there to protest the removal of the statue had applied for and were granted a permit to march and protest. The counter-protest group that was there to oppose their march did not file for a legal permit to do so. That is why the reference to her being there illegally is based.

She lived in the town, that pretty much gives you free reign. She was not marching, she was crossing a street when some asshat that thinks like you do, decided to mow her down.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 10:57 PM
link   

You do realize that I agree with you about people knowing the risks of going to those rallies? Right?

Yes, but the non-chalant vibe I'm getting about 'oh just a little fighting is okay' but then shocked that someone got killed is more than a little aggravating. As much as I want the driver to go to jail, I don't think it was pre-meditated murder. I see it as just the next step in escalation: involuntary manslaughter. That woman drew the short stick. But she also entered the lottery in the first place, of her own conscious choice.

The real premeditated murder has been at BLM protests and Ferguson, targeting cops. It's just a matter of time, the escalation will continue.

Not disputing that. I seriously hope it won't escalate.

ETA - People here keep saying that she lives there and she just happened to be at the wrong place and at the wrong time. If so that changes everything.
edit on 8/14/2017 by Deaf Alien because: (no reason given)

link   

originally posted by: eletheia

Nazis used it.

Isn't that symbol a mirror image of the swatika? The 'feet' walk to the right instead of the left?

link   
a reply to: matafuchs

Is the Huffington Post owned by George Soros? It depicts this law-breaking act as a noble gesture!
www.huffingtonpost.com...

link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

It's a sad thing to witness... Perhaps Americans should have stood up much earlier.. when the education system started to become the mini.. control state... when the education system pushed for mind altering BIG Pharma Drugs to control students.. when the education system decided that 1+1=11 is an acceptable answer...

Silent majority.. allowed this to happen.. it's time for the majority to set things right.. IMO...

link   

Ferguson was a long time ago, good shot at deflection.

link   
OH

MY

GOD!!!

What the hell is going on? Did someone send out an email telling some people on the left to leave their brains at home today?

Almost unanimously, those on the left are defending the destruction of public property now?

You do know where this leads, right?

Yep, I am sure you do.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 10:58 PM
link   
a reply to: fiverx313

I'm not following.

Unless your getting around to saying that by having this statue, the government is condoning racism. Evil Kinevel couldn't make that leap.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Not disputing that. I seriously hope it won't escalate.

I'm a realist, I expect it will happen before the 2018 elections. Sooner possibly, after this weekend.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 11:00 PM
link   

At least you got one thing right... those white supremacists are sharks and need to go.

Oh, so you favor shark genocide and extinction?

Are also in favor of finning them. Cruel practice.

link   
a reply to: Jonjonj

If you notice some of us on the left here do not like this.

edit on 8/14/2017 by Deaf Alien because: (no reason given)

link   
a reply to: JacKatMtn

In a complete pessimistic sense, we are long past that point. Agreeing to anything, even disagreeing seems far beyond the scope of most Americans.

Please, let me be wrong.

link   

originally posted by: Krakatoa

Uh I know that? I know that those people knew the risks of injury and death. The point is the insinuation that the woman had it coming when someone murdered her. That looks like a justification of murder.

If this had happened to a man would anyone be comparing this to a rape or saying 'he had it coming?'

Seriously? Welcome to the 21st century. Feminism says we judge her as an autonomous person responsible for her own actions!

It's a tragedy, yes. It's criminal. I want them to investigate and convict the driver. Thoughts and prayers to her family and friends.

BUT

She wasn't just walking from point A to point B. She made a conscious choice to put herself in harm's way with a group of people who were present *illegally* to cause trouble and probably get in a 'little fighting, breaking noses, blacken eyes, etc.'

Can't stand the heat? Don't walk into the fire! That's what I'd say about a guy, that's what I'll say about a woman.

Do you have a source for her being their illegally? Or just spouting fox news bs?

The original groups there to protest the removal of the statue had applied for and were granted a permit to march and protest. The counter-protest group that was there to oppose their march did not file for a legal permit to do so. That is why the reference to her being there illegally is based.

She lived in the town, that pretty much gives you free reign. She was not marching, she was crossing a street when some asshat that thinks like you do, decided to mow her down.

Hey, back off with the personal jibes. I was merely explaining the comment by another ATS member stating the legality of the protesters. You do not know me, or how I think, please do not assume you do.

There are legal and non-legal ways to protest. One side was there legally. One side was not. That fact in no way condones any violence at all. And neither do it. However, even though I despise their position and what they stand for, I will still honor their right to speak freely if the legal process is followed.

Freedom of speech protects that which you disagree. That is how it is fair for everyone.

link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Oh, so you favor shark genocide and extinction?

Are also in favor of finning them. Cruel practice.

Sarcasm. *winks*

new topics

top topics

<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join