It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Protesters pull down Confederate statue at old Durham County courthouse

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 10:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

originally posted by: Abysha

a reply to: Abysha

What other art work is next?

We're already setting a precedent and some are encouraged by this.

Could you expand on that?

I was talking about legally relocating "art" to places where they can be objects of education (and appreciation for some, I'm sure). When they are publicly on display, they make statements about the people who live there. What if that statement is counter to the core values of that community?

For example, if there was a statue of Baphomet in the middle of the Vatican... I wouldn't be all that confused when they moved it to a museum. I'd be a bit heartbroken if a bunch of Catholic rebels tore it down but it doesn't exactly need to stay there.

I guess you could relocate.

Then just shut down the museum.

Why move them at all?

If you had Jewish roommates, would they be cool with a swastika hanging on the wall of your living room?

I'm not implying you have one, by the way. Position it this way: would you be comfortable renting a room in a house with a giant swastika on a living room wall?

link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien

a reply to: ketsuko

We should be able to attend rallies and not expect to be murdered.

Peaceful protests, yes.

But this was not peaceful, nor was it a protest. The cops did nothing. The local government did nothing.

Two hate=filled groups fought and a young woman was killed by a Nazi dirtbag.

They were there to fight yes. But not to murder each other. Of course their will be black eyes, broken bones and blood. But murder? Come on.

Oh, that makes it all better. Random violence, battery and assault for everyone! Toss in some molotov cocktails, hairspray torches and concrete-filled bottles as party favors!

link   
a reply to: Guyfriday

Shame I was the only one to star this post so far. It deserves a million and posted to ALL the MSM sites

. People were aware of what might happen, and it doubled their efforts to remain peaceful

Kept marching despite the firehoses , dogs , and beatings some endured . Peacefully following Rev.Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. all the way...
Changed an entire nation .
Gone are those days. But I remember , and always will

link   

I was talking about legally relocating "art" to places where they can be objects of education (and appreciation for some, I'm sure). When they are publicly on display, they make statements about the people who live there. What if that statement is counter to the core values of that community?

For example, if there was a statue of Baphomet in the middle of the Vatican... I wouldn't be all that confused when they moved it to a museum. I'd be a bit heartbroken if a bunch of Catholic rebels tore it down but it doesn't exactly need to stay there.

Why move them at all?

You can speculate all you want.
We'll just have to wait and see.

Don't really have to speculate.

Links available a few pages back of museums being shut down.

It's a brave new world we're living in.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 10:28 PM
link   
I’m a fighter. I believe in the eye-for-an-eye business. I’m no cheek turner. I got no respect for a man who won’t hit back. You kill my dog, you better hide your cat.

—Muhammad Ali

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Why move them at all?

If you had Jewish roommates, would they be cool with a swastika hanging on the wall of your living room?

I'm not implying you have one, by the way. Position it this way: would you be comfortable renting a room in a house with a giant swastika on a living room wall?

?

Of course not.

Are you saying that private residences are the same as public places?

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 10:29 PM
link   
a reply to: TruMcCarthy

Yeah I understand your point. Like Grambler, I just don't like the insinuation.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Donald Trump has emboldened the alt-right to the point, they are willing to show their faces in public. No more hoods and robes. It is coming back to bite some of them in the ass. It is scary times folks.

link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Anyone know if these people are going to face charges for destruction of property?

link   

originally posted by: imitator
I’m a fighter. I believe in the eye-for-an-eye business. I’m no cheek turner. I got no respect for a man who won’t hit back. You kill my dog, you better hide your cat.

—Muhammad Ali

hahahahahahaha

link   

originally posted by: Teikiatsu

Peaceful protests, yes.

But this was not peaceful, nor was it a protest. The cops did nothing. The local government did nothing.

Two hate=filled groups fought and a young woman was killed by a Nazi dirtbag.

They were there to fight yes. But not to murder each other. Of course their will be black eyes, broken bones and blood. But murder? Come on.

Oh, that makes it all better. Random violence, battery and assault for everyone! Toss in some molotov cocktails, hairspray torches and concrete-filled bottles as party favors!

Don't understand the point of your sarcasm.

link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

originally posted by: ketsuko

We should be able to attend parties and not expect to be raped either.

But if you attended a party and got raped, would you be cool with the cops showing up and saying both parties asked for it?

I have no idea why the governor ordered the cops to stand down.

I'm just saying that risky behavior is risky behavior. Going into that situation is risky behavior.

If you swim in the ocean and get bitten by a shark, are you going to get all indignant that happened to you? Act like you had no idea you were taking that risk?

Are you saying that alt-right ideology is so risky that attending their rallies is tantamount to swimming with sharks?

If so, should we be granting permits to hold these klan rallies?

link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

You've certainly expounded my mediocre statement.

Slipper slope? Hell, we've been sliding down it out of control for 10 months now......because some people just can't handle not getting their way and insisting that everyone should agree with them and do things their way.

No, no no, this is Trumps fault. /sarc

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 10:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ameilia
a reply to: DBCowboy

Anyone know if these people are going to face charges for destruction of property?

No arrests have been made.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Why move them at all?

You can speculate all you want.
We'll just have to wait and see.

Don't really have to speculate.

Links available a few pages back of museums being shut down.

It's a brave new world we're living in.

Can you link to that post? Not going through many pages lol.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 10:32 PM
link   

a reply to: Guyfriday

I realize that those people knew the risks of injury and death. What they don't expect is someone murdering them intentionally. To say that it was woman's fault for getting intentionally murdered because she was there and knew the risks seems to be a justification.

If you think that's what I am saying, then you are on purpose trying to spin it in the worst possible light.

Murder is murder, but at the same time, it's not like she wasn't in a dangerous spot. She was engaging in risky behavior. No matter how crappy I found those people to be, I would not have gone to either set of protests because I wouldn't have wanted to get caught up in something.

I've seen what happens in places like Berkeley and Seattle and could imagine for myself the risks.

She took them and it was her bad luck that she was the one who paid the ultimate price. It was her day to get attacked by the shark on the beach.

link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

Here's one

www.ajc.com...

link   

originally posted by: Lucidparadox

originally posted by: knowledgehunter0986

originally posted by: aethertek
Well it wont need to be melted, crumpled on impact, too bad so sad.

& in other good news Texas A&M canceled Dick spencer & his nazi hatefest.
Then just for giggles the hotels in Washington wouldn't rent him a room so he had to do his song & dance at his crappy apt.
Still laughing about that LOL.

Name them & shame them, drive them back into what ever stinking hole they crawled out of.

K~

Holy #.. what a sad sad video with some sad sad individuals. I'm going to assume you had your hands up in celebration watching this and probably imagined yourself kicking the statue too.

I know I Did!

This video got my adrenalin pumping!

They all need to be torn down! Immediately!

The Confederacy was a rebellion.. a terrorist organization that took the lives of union soldiers, and supported the enslavement of citizens.

They shouldn't exist outside of museums in the first place.

Germany doesn't have any monuments to Hitler that I'm aware of.
This italicized statement is just completely wrong.

Folks that say stuff like that needs to read history more.

Also,I hope Americans see what is going on around us right now.We're being played folks!Remember this saying,because it will become very important in the near future...United we stand,divided we fall!

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Why move them at all?

?

Of course not.

Are you saying that private residences are the same as public places?

A community is a communal space, micro-cosmically public and marcro-cosmically private.

Kind of a small government/states rights-esque argument at this point, isn't it?

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Attending any rally with two groups bent on causing trouble is dangerous.

Don't you think it would be a bad idea to go somewhere with ANTIFA crawling out of the woodwork?

new topics

top topics

<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join