It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Protesters pull down Confederate statue at old Durham County courthouse

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 10:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

originally posted by: queenofswords
a reply to: JinMI

Every single deputy on duty at that "protest" that allowed this monument to be climbed and toppled should be fired for dereliction of duty.

Yea, that'll happen. /sarc

Were passing some dangerous precedents. What's worse as people thinking this process is ok, and why argue? No one is enforcing the laws.

This is exactly why people should not be celebrating what happened with this statue, and saying "it's okay, they needed to do it, they couldn't get what they wanted legally so it was okay for them to act in violence and destroy something instead"

First it was with flags.....and people said "It's okay, nothing else is going to happen"

Now it's with statues......and people are saying "It's okay, they were right to do this because they couldn't get it done any other way"

Next it will be with other things:

Historical places.....let's burn them down....oh crap, sorry how that fire got out of control there, burning down homes and businesses there......what? Someone got killed? Oh well, got to crack a few eggs you know, it's okay: they HAD to do it. They were right to do it!

Books, gotta get the books, burn them, get rid of them. How dare those books say things that we don't agree with!

Next will be those people that try to speak things we don't agree with.....we need to stop them! Shut them down! (oh wait, this one has been going on since the election.....along with all that property damage and people getting hurt).

Slipper slope? Hell, we've been sliding down it out of control for 10 months now......because some people just can't handle not getting their way and insisting that everyone should agree with them and do things their way.

Isaac Asimov was right:

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.

link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: Deaf Alien

Anyone who showed up at either protest should have known what they were risking. Both groups were looking for trouble.

That does not justify the murder.

You're correct. Nothing justifies murder. She was there, things did get violent, did she leave? Was she trying to leave? Did she stay due to being forced to stay?

Like I said, It's horrid that it happened, but if you're going to actively participate in a violent rally, then you should be aware that death and injury can happen. I'm not trying to justify this at all, in fact I'm doing the opposite.

These people that attend these rallies need to be aware of what can happen if they or those around them act in a violent manner. Again I point to the demonstrations of the Civil Rights movement of the 1960's. People were aware of what might happen, and it doubled their efforts to remain peaceful. The walk to Selma wouldn't be a great moment in history if instead of peacefully standing their ground, the protestors rushed the police national guardsmen and turned it into a massive bloodfest.

Personally I think that many of these people that attended just wanted their voices heard, but due to social changes over the last decade, they don't know how to do it affectively so they just lash out in violence.

link   
I just realized that we are going way off topic. LOL. I apologize.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 10:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Abysha

Given the number of walking tours many places have to see the sites ... like those statues ... they are already objects of education.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 10:22 PM
link   

a reply to: ketsuko

We should be able to attend rallies and not expect to be murdered.

We should be able to attend parties and not expect to be raped either.

But if you attended a party and got raped, would you be cool with the cops showing up and saying both parties asked for it?

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 10:23 PM
link   

a reply to: BubbaJoe

Being as it may, a statue is not the cause nor does it continually perpetrate it.

Are statues of Grant next?

I have no issues with statues, I personally own stuff with the Confederate Battle Flag on it, a public park, I am going to start to question. But then with a 6'4" gay black man as my best man at wedding, i am not your best person to troll

link   
a reply to: Guyfriday

I realize that those people knew the risks of injury and death. What they don't expect is someone murdering them intentionally. To say that it was woman's fault for getting intentionally murdered because she was there and knew the risks seems to be a justification.

link   

originally posted by: Abysha

originally posted by: DBCowboy

What other art work is next?

We're already setting a precedent and some are encouraged by this.

Could you expand on that?

I was talking about legally relocating "art" to places where they can be objects of education (and appreciation for some, I'm sure). When they are publicly on display, they make statements about the people who live there. What if that statement is counter to the core values of that community?

For example, if there was a statue of Baphomet in the middle of the Vatican... I wouldn't be all that confused when they moved it to a museum. I'd be a bit heartbroken if a bunch of Catholic rebels tore it down but it doesn't exactly need to stay there.

I guess you could relocate.

Then just shut down the museum.

Why move them at all?

link   

edit on 14-8-2017 by Abysha because: I are stoopid

link   

link   

a reply to: BubbaJoe

Being as it may, a statue is not the cause nor does it continually perpetrate it.

Are statues of Grant next?

Maj. Gen. William Tecumseh Sherman - that man killed a lot of people, including slaves.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 10:24 PM
link   

But if you attended a party and got raped, would you be cool with the cops showing up and saying both parties asked for it?

Oh yeah that's one way of looking at it.
Thanks.

link   

originally posted by: BubbaJoe
Haven't read the entire thread, my family here since 1621, yes we owned slaves. It is time for people to stand up and admit racism exists, and yeah it still does.

Of course, it does. That's one of the valuable things to the rest of society about allowing the white supremacists to hold their public rallies. It brings it up into the open for all to see. We get to see how angry and hateful they are and remind ourselves why we don't want to be like them.

link   

Peaceful protests, yes.

But this was not peaceful, nor was it a protest. The cops did nothing. The local government did nothing.

Two hate=filled groups fought and a young woman was killed by a Nazi dirtbag.

They were there to fight yes. But not to murder each other. Of course their will be black eyes, broken bones and blood. But murder? Come on.

Some people got stabbed. It was just pure dumb luck that the woman was the first casualty after all the #ing # both sides pulled. I predicted this would happen in the Berkeley thread and people just laughed it off. Now the line has been crossed and everyone else is fair game.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 10:25 PM
link   

What other art work is next?

We're already setting a precedent and some are encouraged by this.

Could you expand on that?

I was talking about legally relocating "art" to places where they can be objects of education (and appreciation for some, I'm sure). When they are publicly on display, they make statements about the people who live there. What if that statement is counter to the core values of that community?

For example, if there was a statue of Baphomet in the middle of the Vatican... I wouldn't be all that confused when they moved it to a museum. I'd be a bit heartbroken if a bunch of Catholic rebels tore it down but it doesn't exactly need to stay there.

I guess you could relocate.

Then just shut down the museum.

Why move them at all?

You can speculate all you want.
We'll just have to wait and see.

link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

Next it will be with other things:

Historical places.....let's burn them down..

Yeah. It reminds me of Madonna standing up at the women's rally and telling the world in her oh-so-morally-superior tone that she thinks an awful lot about blowing up the White House!!!

Is that next?

link   

a reply to: Guyfriday

I realize that those people knew the risks of injury and death. What they don't expect is someone murdering them intentionally. To say that it was woman's fault for getting intentionally murdered because she was there and knew the risks seems to be a justification.

Yeah I am with you. I strongly condemn any insinuation that this woman had it coming.

I may want to go to a Ben shapiro talk on campus, but I know Antifa could show up and be violent. Does that mean that I must cower at home or I asked to be beaten?

link   

Peaceful protests, yes.

But this was not peaceful, nor was it a protest. The cops did nothing. The local government did nothing.

Two hate=filled groups fought and a young woman was killed by a Nazi dirtbag.

They were there to fight yes. But not to murder each other. Of course their will be black eyes, broken bones and blood. But murder? Come on.

You're giving both sides too much credit.

They came armed to the teeth.

I know. The point is the seemingly justification of murder "because they were there for the conflict so that's their fault".

I don't see it as justification, as much as it is an acknowledgement of reality. It's like reporters/photographers going into a war zone, you know there is a lot of danger and something terrible might happen to you. When you attend a rally that has hate groups involved, there is certainly a chance you are going to be badly injured. It doesn't absolve the perpetrators of their horrible actions, but maybe people should think through the consequences of what may happen before they act.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 10:26 PM
link   
I think for most of us, we really don't care about these statues, they aren't in our parks anyways or maybe they are and we just don't pay them no mind. ...
I don't really see the tearing down of these statues as left trying to rewrite history.
I would venture to guess that this particular statue went down because of the anger people felt over what happened in charlottesville.. period!!
as far as rewriting history, I've noticed quite a few ways the right has tried to give a false image of history...
for some, history is a painful lesson of the inhumanity that was done to their ancestors...
guess what, I am white and I can relate, my ancestors went through a similar fate.
for others, well, it reminds them of the injustice their ancestors inflicted on others.
guess what, I can relate, after my grandmother died, a ku klux clan outfit was found in her attic that belonged to her sister's husband! what's ironic is that during the civil war, other family members were directly involved in the underground railroad...
we went to spend time with my grandmother every year, and she would tell me over and over the stories of my ancestors... I would read the old newspapers that she had gathering dust stashed in her bookcase, they helped form who, what I am today!!!
kind of like the history of our nation, the good, the bad, the ugly and cruel, all played it's part in what we are today.
if it pains you, then you are not seeing history in the right context. if it shames you or makes you defensive, you are not seeing history in the right context. there is not a nation or a group of people one this earth that doesn't have it's good, it's bad, or it's ugly!! but as long as can look at history and know that we are smarter, wiser, more compassionate and less cruel than our ancestors were, we can say we are successful as a people...

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 10:26 PM
link   

I have no idea why the governor ordered the cops to stand down.

I'm just saying that risky behavior is risky behavior. Going into that situation is risky behavior.

If you swim in the ocean and get bitten by a shark, are you going to get all indignant that happened to you? Act like you had no idea you were taking that risk?

new topics

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join