It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Acupuncture. Does it work? Really?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 01:18 PM
link   
So, Mrs. Crow is currently indergoing a series of acupuncture treatments for some minor stuff.

On her return, she often says that certain needles cause pain, discomfort, muscle spasms etc. I have to ask - is acupuncture really a solution ? Lets say for menopausal hot flushes and sleelessness.

It seems the needle insertions occur at certain pressure points, pressure points that, tbroughout my martial arts days, were utilised to inflict pain.

How can this treatment be "for real"? It seems the interweb has many conflicting opinions so I wonder: what is your take on this process?

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 01:23 PM
link   
I'm sure you'll get lots of anecdotal data from people on here and elsewhere singing its praises but it when it is studied in properly controlled conditions it consistently performs no better than placebo acupuncture.

This is a good starting point if you want an evidence-based overview of acupuncture:

sciencebasedmedicine.org...
edit on 14-8-2017 by GetHyped because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 01:27 PM
link   
a reply to: MrCrow

I have no personal experience with it but have acquaintances who swear by it. My opinion is that if it was bs it wouldn't have survived several thousand years of practice. Lastly, I have no trust in Western Medical studies of alternative medicine.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 01:27 PM
link   
It worked on me. I had a chronic lower back pain in the early 2000's that was quite uncomfortable. Made working very difficult. This same spot would eventually stop hurting, but then come back months later with similar discomfort and pain. So I said, hey why not, my insurance at the time covered it with a small co-pay so I went for it.

It was a very comfortable experience, and the pain subsided the following day. Let me tell you, I have never, EVER had a pain there ever again to this day. I can't testify to the effectiveness on things such as hot flashes or insomnia, but it most certainly works on muscle pain. Maybe it was a pinched nerve.

Not to mention, I did not have to come back twice a week for the rest of my life like at a chiropractors.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 01:38 PM
link   
I have never had accupuncture done, but have researched it. If done right, scientific research does show it does work. I did not have a hard time verifying that either. I just do not like having needles stuck into my body so I will not be doing it.

The people who work with pressure points sure are good sometimes. I have known a couple of women who are great at it. I have been studying these interconnections somewhat, I actually get a sore calf when I am constipated on my assending colon. Weird that you would have a pain in your right calf when you are constipated there???????????? I have verified the relationship at least five times now, I wonder if you can back track the connection there?

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 01:42 PM
link   
a reply to: TobyFlenderson

My opinion is that if it was bs it wouldn't have survived several thousand years of practice...

See Organized Religion, Nationalism, and Homeopathy...

All hoaxes perpetrated on Humanity for purposes of control.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 01:46 PM
link   

I get bad neck headaches on my left side.
Right at the back, just at the base of the skull and where the neck meet.
It takes either a good pain killer, or a full massage on that side of my neck, shoulder and upper back, it's all connected.

I had a really bad one once, and went to my usual spot for a massage just in case, and they used sort of an acupuncture technique, two small needles and then they massaged the shoulder, went away instantly. So, I guess there is some truth to it.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 01:48 PM
link   

It really depends on who you ask. I have personally used acupuncture in an attempt to cure my autoimmune issues, but it did not work. My wife used it in an effort to get pregnant, but it did not help. My mother used it for her shoulder pain, but it did not work. However, my best friend's wife absolutely swears it healed her bad hip, which she got from a car accident at 16 years old. She had the acupuncture done in her mid-20's and at 35 now she still says it works.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 01:50 PM
link   

In my experience, it was not helpful. I tried it once.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Little by little the west will open their eyes:

Mayo Clinic

World Health Organization

Could it be "Placebo"? Sure. Do you care if the placebo is taking away a 10 year chronic pain in your neck? Probably not.

Test this out, is easy:

next time you have an stiff neck, press Li11 hard, to the point it actually hurts (You might want to find someone to do it for you)
You press the arm opposite to the neck pain. (Pain on the left of the neck, press the right arm point)
Press hard for 10 seconds, while you move the neck towards the pain (Slowly, and don't go beyond the pain limit)
Release point, and see if the pain has lessen. Repeat every 30 minutes.

edit on 14-8-2017 by yuniorsan because: n/a

edit on 14-8-2017 by yuniorsan because: n/a

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 02:02 PM
link   
No it does not.

Acupuncture
Iridology
Reflexology

All are a sham.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 02:05 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

You may believe that organized religion is a hoax, but that proves your closed mindedness. There are literally billions of people who disagree with you. Nationalism is a bad example because a certain dose of nationalism is good for any given nation. It is extreme nationalism which gets us into trouble. Further, nationalism is brought forward under different packaging each time it rears its ugly head. It is an idea, not a practice. Lastly, I've used some homeopathic medicines to great success and with no side-affects.

I do get your point though. The thing about acupuncture is that it is an ancient practice that has survived, much like meditation. I think a more apt example would be chiropractic medicine. Though it's accepted in the US so you would probably disagree with me.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 02:09 PM
link   
I tried it in my forties to ease lower back pain and it worked for me then the person administrating it left the doctors practice and the new person who took over changed the way the needles were placed and I got no more relief
A few years ago I tried it again for shoulder and knee pain and it again helped me, the person administrating it was licenced to practice on humans but was having to wait a further two years before she could use acupuncture techniques on animals which I found amusing
I tend to be scientific in my beliefs but sometimes if something works, even if it is only mind over matter, and it seems to do no harm then I think all of use should maybe embrace it
edit on 8/14/2017 by astra001uk because: Spelling

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 02:17 PM
link   
a reply to: TobyFlenderson

You may believe that organized religion is a hoax, but that proves your closed mindedness. There are literally billions of people who disagree with you.

Wide is the path to destruction.

Quack medicines like Chiropractic and Accupuncture, Crystal healing, Faith healing, blood letting, etc.

It not right to puff up, either.

Trying to remain humble.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 02:19 PM
link   

I have cronic back problems and have tried everything...

Acupuncture works nice.. but only make some pain go away, and it last for two days
Then it comes back

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Yeah, it works, but not as a long-term solution to anything.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Being a practitioner of Oriental Medicine, I can say yes it does work, but not all clinicians are up to the task.

Strikes on the major tsubos are not the same as needles based on a few principles rather lengthy to explain.

I saw early on in my career that I would focus entirely on the herbs as the paltry 2 year masters in the US and other Western countries was seriously lacking, particularly in the face of 9 years in study and practicals followed in China for any of 4 parts...so essentially the West trys to teach 36years of information in 2 years.

I have studied some 2000 hours, it works...but the practitioner is everything and like much in the orient...the deeper knowledge is often with held.

I can tell that very few have spent any real time in studying any of the alternative paradims by their very uninformed cursory responses.

Mrs Crow could benefit greatly if she is being treated by the right person...but dont expect instant results for every condition. Differential diagnosis is an art and a science and not everyone truly gets it and they just follow general scripts hoping it will work.

Its not a sham, just an misrepresented practice in many cases. Just like a lot of martial arts "masters"
edit on 14-8-2017 by BlueJacket because: sp

edit on 14-8-2017 by BlueJacket because: I cant type on a phone

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 02:57 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

What part of your calf? Quite a few meridians run through the inside and outside of the calf...it would be good info for further diagnosis

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 02:58 PM
link   
i'm very skeptical about a lot of alternative medicine, but acupuncture is one i still wonder about. i'm not sure about the efficacy for things like your wife is experiencing -- to me that seems like it could be more of a placebo effect. but for muscle tension-related problems? i really don't know.

i read an article a few years about talking about the effects of needle twisting on the connective fibers of muscles, and how they were shown to cause relaxation in fibers further away from the needle point than you'd think... but i don't remember where i read it, or how the study was set up, or anything. so that's not very helpful.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 03:07 PM
link   
I have had a several times with acupuncture. Two of the practitioners were AMAZING, the others not worth the time. I think that as with most modalities, some people are gifted and have studied way beyond what they learned in school. I have found the same to be true of massage and most MD's. The best acupuncturist I had was in Key West. A former secret service agent with many good stories to tell while waiting for the needles to do their magic. The other was in Beijing, a lady who knew no English and me knowing no Chinese. She would in problem spots incorporate cupping over the needle. Worked very well and I wished I could have asked some questions. I was a massage therapist years ago doing only deep tissue/sports massage and had some amazing results with many clients. So.. the best of luck to Mrs Crow!!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join