It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woman challenges mandatory electroshock therapy in Victoria Supreme Court

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2017 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Is EST not used in the US anymore? Or was it permitted again later on?

It's still used in the US. There is a local hospital where I live that provides it. Not a huge demand and a sort of last-resort treatment (thankfully, imo), but yes, it's here and never went away as far as I know. Pharmaceuticals are far easier to administer, sell, less scary to people, etc. so that is now the dominant form of treatment.

posted on Aug, 13 2017 @ 09:22 PM
link   
a reply to: pravdaseeker

Then there's this...

If you believe this is true? This little girl has been 'saved' by ECT?

Tough subject.

peace

posted on Aug, 13 2017 @ 09:22 PM
link   
I understand alot of you are against this type of treatment and find it "barbaric", but it has saved my life.

I was diagnosed with depression in my early teens and by my mid 20s after trying every type of AD I hit a brick wall. And the last 3 generations on my fathers side committed suicide and none lived past 35. I knew my time was running out, and I will never forget the discussion I had with my wife when my son was about 2 years old. She told me if you really want to die a life seems so boring and hopeless to you need to make a decision, either kill yourself before our son is old enough to remember you or do everything you can to get better.

I met with my doctor I obviously had Major Depression Disorder by this time, and I brought up electro shock and he was reluctant but I convinced him how urgent the situation was. And you guys need to keep in mind that at that point in my life I felt it was my destiny to die young and suicide was not taboo but a normal way to die. I underwent 3 treatments, It was a very professional atmosphere and they sedated me, I did suffer from some short term memory loss but it came back.

I can say I am truly happy and look forward to growing old and watching my son grow up. In about 2 years I will have out lived my father and I will be very proud when that day comes.

I don't feel any body on earth has the right to force somebody to go through ECT. I'm sure almost all of can agree on that, but I don't think you should all bash ECT as some old barbaric technology that needs to be destroyed, because as ive said its saved my life and more importantly my son will not have to go through the horrors of finding me dead as I found my father,and I'm sure its saved many other people lives.
edit on 8/13/2017 by 772STi because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2017 @ 09:39 PM
link   
As I didn't read anything in the OP's link that explained how bad the person in question can get without help then I would have to say no to the forced treatment. My wife was schizophrenic and extremely bi-polar. The best way I can explain how she acted at times is by comparing living with her with living with a tornado. She had the treatment twice and it helped out for a few months but things went downhill from there especially the schizophrenia until she passed away in '14

posted on Aug, 13 2017 @ 09:43 PM
link   
I have paranoid schizophrenia and Bi Polar.

With modern medicine there is no need for electric shock therapy. There are many medications that work for controlling schizophrenia on the market.

I've been on my medication for 20 years since 1997.

The problem with schizophrenia is schizophrenics won't stick with treatment. They constantly quit taking their meds. Schizophrenics lack insight they aren't self aware enough to know they are sick.

Schizophrenia causes brain damage the longer someone goes without treatment the more damage the illness causes. The longer they go the harder it is to recover.

Schizophrenia medication remained the same from the 1950's until the 1990's. In the 90's a newer class of medications was made there were some major breakthroughs in treatment.

The newer medications are expensive though. Mine costs $1000 a month.

I feel bad about the woman in this article her doctors must not know what they are doing. She's not getting proper treatment. Suffering this illness on it's own is bad enough let alone having incompetent doctors.

edit on 13-8-2017 by wantsome because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2017 @ 10:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight
a reply to: rickymouse

LOL so thats why you're now able to put 2 sentences together; and here's me thinking you did all your studies on foods and the environment to help your body. Oh wait maybe I'm thinking of the other Ricky that suffers form MPD

www.webmd.com...

Actually, when you understand the chemical properties of plants and animals, you can create exceptional tasting recipes. I like good tasting food.

posted on Aug, 13 2017 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Dear ATS Readers,

Well, quite a good amount of responses, so far. I am guessing 90% against, and 10% say it helped, or saved their lives.

Better alive than a child without a father; I hope you are doing just fine, and all is well with you and your family.

For those it helped, and who were open enough to disclose such therapy; I figure you must have been pretty brave, in more than one way.

I was not aware it could mess with your memory, but it isn't surprising either! Good grief you are zapping the brain after all.

The original article did not say how bad off the lady is... so.. you must just "assume" something.

Suicide does seem to run in a family sometimes, I had a step-brother who tried to take his life twice. He had a brother who tried and succeeded at killing himself. And there were a couple of times my step-mom tried as well.

The brain and it's chemical "triggers" etc is still a great mystery, even to modern medicine I think.

One thread entry mentioned some of the psychodelic's have helped some, and I have read some on these treatments as well. They seem to be more common in South America where "shamanism" and using plants from the jungle are still commonly used.

I still find the lady not having a choice, or proper legal protection quite disturbing though.

Thank you to all who have contributed so far.

Pravdaseeker

posted on Aug, 13 2017 @ 11:52 PM
link   
To me it always seemed like torture similar to lobotomies, and was surprised when I had studied about mental health facilities in history, that it wasn't so much of a practice left in history. It's something that needs to be done away with, there are options, even ones that are quicker and more healthy than SSRIs for mental health issues but Big Pharma isn't going to let those happen.

a reply to: 772STi

I'm glad that you've gotten help, but if needed again but suggest a different method, one that may be more easing to you, does the same and likely even better to help you. As Medicinal Cannabis is now legal in Florida, CBDs(said to relive symptoms faster) are one path, the other I cannot discuss on this site-hint McKenna- but has had trials run and found to work better than SSRIs overall-long term. Best of luck to you.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 12:22 AM
link   
I have seen it do wonders when I worked in mental health.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 02:20 AM
link   

Funny how many things that happens in the US happens in Australia a few years later.

This lady has obviously been shafted. So much for the rule of law in Australia.

cant remember which part this comes under the Human Rights and Equality Opportunity laws in Australia should prevent this.

This lady is fighting this not just for self but for everyone else. We all need to follow her lead.

If you dont know your rights you have no rights so go to "Know Your Rights Group" and lean your rights and how to enforce them. Most people give away their power by choosing not to learn and enforce their rights themselves.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 04:56 AM
link   
a reply to: dreamingawake

That for for the suggestion, luckily I have not been on any Ad's in 5 years and don't plan on ever being on them again.

But I have read very promising reviews on the use of Medical Marijuana. And even it it safes only 1 persons life it is worth the time and money making that has went into synthesizing it.

Thank you, to everybody who has replied and for your support. And if anybody needs advice or has any questions feel free to PM me.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 10:53 AM
link   
This is a serious medical procedure with a multitude of equally serious side effects. Loss of memory is the saddest result.

No one should be forced to do it.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join