It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Great speed Camera conspiracy UK RANT

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2017 @ 03:23 AM
link   
Well,

Apologise for this rant but it is something that I find just absurd and that is how much revenue and disruption to a journey now travelling around the UK can cost you.

I am talking about the never ending war on drivers as a soft target, the long and short of it is that speed cameras are so prevalent now on UK roads it is simply a matter of time before you get caught by these modern day Dick Turpins (Ref the highway robber of old)..

I rarely drive long distance in the UK but I .ed to Mt Snowden in North wales the other day for some climbing, the journey their and back was shear hell!!!!!.. Average speed cameras causing no end of tail backs with road works that have been ongoing for what seems like decades, The M6 is a total f#cking joke of stealth Gantry cameras with the hard shoulder now being used as a lane, yet in a 1 mile stretch I was greeted with a 40mph illuminated sign, then the next Gantry was showing 70mph, for the next to show 60mph??!!!, all with HADECS cameras. If ever there was a system in place to "catch" people out it is this.

So I looked into how much revenue these new "Smart" motorways are producing and well well it seems they are a nice little earner..

This paragraph sums it up nicely,

Since variable speed cameras were installed between junctions 7 and 9 on the M42 in 2013, 11,918 drivers have been caught exceeding the limit, which can drop from 70mph to speeds of just 20mph. And with offenders charged with fines of up to £2,500 for exceeding motorway speed limits, motorists may be facing a total £30m ticket. I have read a total revenue stream for all "Smart motorways" to be in the region of £500 million!!!!...

Source
www.coventrytelegraph.net...

Of course the official stance is that these are not used as a stealth Tax for revenue, safety is the name of the game but wait what is this??,
Yes it is the Mail but other articles cover bits of this, Ref from the RAC..
www.dailymail.co.uk...

So what I have observed is that the Motorway system is being used to extract Millions of pounds from drivers in the guise of safety, the reality of what I have seen is that there are 3-5 lane modern roads that always carried the national limit of 70mph, these are being replaced with "Smart motorways" with various speed limits shown at any one time, this in turn is causing traffic to back up as people are "panic" braking as speed limit signs change. Of course the other thing is a sign showing 70mph then the next goes to 50mph and as you are slowing you get caught by the camera and either face penalty points plus fine or a court summons and court date.. Thousands and thousands have been caught by these techniques.

I have been driving for about 20 years, that includes cars, motorcycles and large vehicles and I firmly believe that has f#ck all to do with safety and more to do with Police cut justification (I did not see one traffic Police car in a 500 miles round trip) and simply good old day light robbery of a soft target.

Driving under these conditions is down right stressful, in the old days you got on a motorway knowing 70mph was the limit unless in roadworks where it was dropped to 50mph then went back to 70mph as you cleared the area. Police patrolled motorways and you had a Human with a brain actually making decisions. I have a honestly held belief that we are well on our way to the scene in Demolition man where Stallone is fined "One credit for the mis use of language act" or whatever it was.

Well I will end by saying I ran the gauntlet and will have to wait and see if anything comes in the post within 14 days asking for me to pay more of my hard earned into a system that is constantly looking for new ways to f#ck me up the ass.. Maybe I should just do what the real criminals do and get a unregistered car, forget about road tax, insurance etc as there are no Police to stop me and if a Camera goes off so what???....

RA

edit on 13-8-2017 by slider1982 because: sp

EDIT,

This guy hits the nail on the . with colourful language, he points out the BS perfectly!!!!!

Added a video I found to help give some idea of how this BS works,

edit on 13-8-2017 by slider1982 because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-8-2017 by slider1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2017 @ 03:33 AM
link   
a reply to: slider1982

M61 and M62 are endless miles of the average speed camera limits. 50mph. The one on the M61 has been going for about 4 years and I've driven through dozens of days without seeing a single worker. It's like they've coned it all off and made it 50 to see what happens. Driving up to Yorkshire was similar. Fair enough, there was work going on, but there are also miles and miles of no work at all. Then there are more miles towards Leeds with what seemed like utterly random speeds being put up on the matrix signs. We're doing 40mph and, oh, it's 60mph and now it's 50mph.

Driving at 50 doesn't bother me at all. It's when there's no obvious reason for enforcing it that pisses people off.

Well I will end by saying I ran the gauntlet and will have to wait and see if anything comes in the post within 14 days asking for me to pay more of my hard earned

Oh yeah! I'm still checking the post for any tickets. Not that I was rallying through the 50-60 speed cameras. It's that lingering fear that one was saying 50 and I was 'flow of traffic' 60.

One tiny upside is you can run through the average speed check cameras at 54mph because they're calibrated for the 10% margin.

posted on Aug, 13 2017 @ 03:42 AM
link   
The more and more I hear from the UK, the more I am reminded of the phrase, 'Let them eat cake.'

Your masters have miss-calculated and one day you will just pop right off there!

P

posted on Aug, 13 2017 @ 04:18 AM
link   
Well, don't speed. That's the way to avoid speeding fines.

They slow traffic down in busy areas as this is more efficient at managing the stop-go congestion. Average speed checks are also put in place to slow traffic where there are road works.

Sadly, there are just too many cars in the UK. Our road system cannot cope with the rising population.

posted on Aug, 13 2017 @ 05:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: pheonix358
The more and more I hear from the UK, the more I am reminded of the phrase, 'Let them eat cake.'

Your masters have miss-calculated and one day you will just pop right off there!

P

It won't be too long in coming I feel, and that's why they are doing their utmost to introduce more draconian laws in order to spy on the citizens. It's ironic that the establishment want smaller Government, people having to provide for themselves, with the safety net stealthily being damaged, but they have to have the powers to spy for the people's own good.

As for the O.P, yes it is a cash cow, and with the introduction of 20 MPH limits in most major cities, they are making the most of the situation. When 20 MPH zones were introduced in my city, the police said there was no way they could enforce it. Yet within 2 years mobile cameras are appearing left right and centre and the coffers are being subsidised in these times of austerity.

posted on Aug, 13 2017 @ 05:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi
Well, don't speed. That's the way to avoid speeding fines.

They slow traffic down in busy areas as this is more efficient at managing the stop-go congestion. Average speed checks are also put in place to slow traffic where there are road works.

Sadly, there are just too many cars in the UK. Our road system cannot cope with the rising population.

Let's be honest about it, it is years of under funding, with citizens still paying the price for the greedy bankers mistakes. No investment being made because those currently in power are not willing to invest in infrastructure unless it benefits business.

posted on Aug, 13 2017 @ 07:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Cobaltic1978

It's not just the roads. Whenever I try and book a train ticket to get from where I stay to somewhere around the Home Counties, such as Guildford, Reading, etc... the booking system always lists the route via Waterloo as the quickest. Naturally of course, this is the most expensive one especially with all the Anyday Returns, Offpeak, Peak time options and going through London at peak time.

Then in reality, there are train line disruptions which relegate me making sort-haul journeys between city-to-city like a digital packet-switching network.

posted on Aug, 13 2017 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Why we're cousins instead of brothers.

posted on Aug, 13 2017 @ 08:45 AM
link   
I have not seen any "speed cameras" on the local freeways here in Seattle, but, the department of transportation did install variable speed signage in some locations- the most bothersome for me being the 3 or 4 mile stretch of I-5 that runs through downtown Seattle. The problem I have with it is that it doesn't seem to make much sense to me- the traffic is usually so bad that the signs are meaningless, and if traffic is light enough that drivers CAN abide by the current speed limit, only some people (probably the ones NOT looking at their phones) abide by it. This creates a hazard for obvious reasons. I miss the days of being able to zip unimpeded through downtown at (or usually above) the limit, but I realize those days are gone forever.

edit on 8132017 by seattlerat because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2017 @ 09:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl
Why we're cousins instead of brothers.

Love it, there is a speed camera near me situated at the bottom of a hill on a blind bend that has burnt out a number of times, I hear a old tyre placed over the said camera and some fuel really cause a lot of damage!!!...

RA

posted on Aug, 13 2017 @ 09:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: seattlerat
I have not seen any "speed cameras" on the local freeways here in Seattle, but, the department of transportation did install variable speed signage in some locations- the most bothersome for me being the 3 or 4 mile stretch of I-5 that runs through downtown Seattle. The problem I have with it is that it doesn't seem to make much sense to me- the traffic is usually so bad that the signs are meaningless, and if traffic is light enough that drivers CAN abide by the current speed limit, only some people (probably the ones NOT looking at their phones) abide by it. This creates a hazard for obvious reasons. I miss the days of being able to zip unimpeded through downtown at (or usually above) the limit, but I realize those days are gone forever.

Then mate you are well on the way to what we have here, it all started innocent "or so we where told" look at what we have now, get caught speeding or misjudge what a robot sign actually wants and you will have a higher fine that if you actually robbed someone...

RA

posted on Aug, 13 2017 @ 10:19 AM
link   
the scam is this. the camera company 'donates' the camera to the government. any time a ticket is given, the camera company gets a kickback.

for sure, i want to PUNCH the inventor of the traffic camera. whoever that fokk is, is a miserable pos, bitter loser. he created a system just to steal money.

posted on Aug, 13 2017 @ 12:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: slider1982
Well,

I rarely drive long distance in the UK but I .ed to Mt Snowden in North wales the other day for some climbing, the journey their and back was shear hell!!!!!.. Average speed cameras causing no end of tail backs with road works that have been ongoing for what seems like decades, The M6 is a total f#cking joke of stealth Gantry cameras with the hard shoulder now being used as a lane, yet in a 1 mile stretch I was greeted with a 40mph illuminated sign, then the next Gantry was showing 70mph, for the next to show 60mph??!!!, all with HADECS cameras. If ever there was a system in place to "catch" people out it is this.

Yep M6 is a disaster, and note just because the ASC's are there doesn't mean anybody is on the job at any time.

I had to do the trip to Frome in Somerset from Holy. and the vids show exactly the hassle going on M4/5/6, M4 being the least hassle. coming back I got on to the A5 at some junction or other, and spent the rest of the time just soaking up the lovely drive on a very quiet A5, (it looks like a fair deal of EU lolly has been going on there) and got no tickets, instead of the crazy motorways fiasco.

edit on 13-8-2017 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Aug, 13 2017 @ 09:26 PM
link   

The m42 is a joke they put most of those gantries in just for the cameras every 10 meters, absolute shocking waste of money they could have built another lane probably for the cost of that bs.

Then they had massive advertising campaign on the radio about "smart motorways" I think they have plans to sell off the road network and charge per mile as new s.art cars will all have GPS mandated and in removable. I don't like where it leads.

They need to get more freight on the rails and renovate our countries roads instead of hs2 nonsense.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 04:50 AM
link   

One of my pet hates and another money maker for councils as well as rising council tax bills.

Bus lane cameras make £31m in a year for councils Almost 4,000 motorists a day are fined for driving in bus lanes,
with the most lucrative camera making £6,000 every 24 hours.

BBC England contacted 160 authorities responsible for highways in England, 64 of which had bus lane cameras.
Motoring organisation, the RAC, said the cameras had become a "cash bonanza" for local authorities.

Councils say cameras are clearly signed and they expect income to fall as drivers learn to stay out of the lanes.
John Dobson Street in Newcastle brought in £5,960 a day in bus lane fines
Almost 4,000 motorists a day are fined for driving in bus lanes, with the most lucrative camera making £6,000 every 24 hours.

BBC England contacted 160 authorities responsible for highways in England, 64 of which had bus lane cameras.
Motoring organisation, the RAC, said the cameras had become a "cash bonanza" for local authorities.
Councils say cameras are clearly signed and they expect income to fall as drivers learn to stay out of the lanes.

In total, the local authorities revealed an estimated combined income of £31m for 2015-16. The figure is likely to be higher as some councils were unable to break down figures by individual cameras or lanes.
The most lucrative bus lane in England is on the northbound section of John Dobson Street in Newcastle-upon-Tyne.
The council revealed that between 23 February and 31 October 2016 it resulted in 62,975 penalty charge notices, making a total of £1.5m, equivalent to £5,960 a day.

About 5,100 drivers caught in the first two months were then given refunds after it was found that signs were "inadequately lit" during the hours of darkness.
Drivers and opposition councillors have said the road layout is "confusing".

However, Newcastle City Council stressed bus lane cameras were not there to make money
[pic]gw5222a400.gif[pic]
and the number of fines had dropped "dramatically" over the past year.She said: "Each year, nine million bus passengers travel along John Dobson Street, where services have seen a 14 per cent improvement in journey time reliability since enforcement started.

Fines for driving in bus lanes
£130 in Greater London
£60 outside London
£65 in Greater London if paid within 14 days
£30 discounted rate for early payment outside London
Source: Local authorities

"We would firmly stress that bus lanes are not there to generate income - they are there to help us to manage our road networks efficiently.

"RAC spokesman Simon Williams said: "Bus lane cameras are fast becoming a new 'cash bonanza' for councils. The amount of money being raised by them in fines is frightening.

TO FIND OUT THE MOST LUCRATIVE BUS LANES IN THE UK. www.bbc.co.uk...
edit on 14-8-2017 by eletheia because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 12:39 PM
link   

I've driven all over the country but North Wales is, without doubt, the pits for driving in.

Speeding up, slowing down, going through tunnels, and woe betide if you go 5mph over whatever max speed section you happen to be on (the Welsh are so #ing anal about speeding).

Then you hit miles and miles of windy country lanes with hairpin bends, some of which are only a single car width, and it's telling you to do 60mph! Then you've got some irate local tailgating you and honking you because you're too slow...they've got to be the most impatient drivers in the country. How I've not ended up upside down in a ditch before now I don't know.

I have relatives who live on the Lleyn peninsula, and they can't understand why I don't visit more often. They don't get why I hate the journey.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 06:51 AM
link   

'Smart' motorways guiding/instructing drivers to brake and slow down and then speed up again = no consistency re exhaust emissions causing greater levels of pollution as well as increased risk of collision and now all to be compounded by the new rules about to come in allowing learners onto motorways!

Health and Safety? Hypocrisy gone viral.

Lunatics in charge, insane donkeys going to help normal reasonable people do insane and abnormal stuff that makes no sense.

As I have heard said, the love of money is root of all evil and as it increasingly appears, the root of all stupidity too.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Came back from a week in North Wales on Saturday. Our UK is absolutely crap at motorways, my issue was road works and diverts, crawling traffic due to this. All I saw for the most part was traffic cones, hardly any workers doing anything, it's like they're trying to keep themselves in a job so they just put traffic cones out for nothing. A 1.5 hour journey took 3.5 hours. Just pathetic.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 07:50 AM
link   
a reply to: CJCrawley

a reply to: 0rbital

Manchester and North Wales A55 can be shocking for the ignorance of drivers. Leaving Wales on the A55 used to be anarchy. Tucked into the inside lane doing 60-65 with cars tailgating and the outside lane buzzing along at 80+. The cure was dropping down to 55 and forcing the heart-attack candidates to overtake and piss off lol

Otherwise I love the route towards Bangor going through those tunnels with the coast on the right.

Manchester drivers don't give two Fs. 'I shall not yield' is the city motto.
edit on 8.15.2017 by Kandinsky because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 03:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

I love the route towards Bangor going through those tunnels with the coast on the right.

Me too.

As a passenger.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join