It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2 dead after Virginia State Police helicopter crashes near Charlottesville

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2017 @ 03:18 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Again, removing a statue isn't removing the history. Unless that statue is somehow the only source where that historical information can be found, then it's nothing more than monument in reference to that information. If you want to preserve the historical information you can do that without having a statue of it.

Do you really think that the History of the civil war or Gen. Lee is going to vanish because his statue is gone?? I mean like him or not he was a central figure during that time and it's going to be difficult to erase him from history with or without a statue even if that was the goal.

Beyond that, it's their statue. It belongs to those who have chosen to remove it. Make your own on your own property if you want but you can't stop other from doing what they want with their own property. It's not going to erase history either. I didn't need to have or see that statue to learn about Gen. Lee in History.

This is nothing but Idol worship and this is exactly what happens when you start worshiping Idols. You're more interested in keeping that symbol than what that symbol represented.

posted on Aug, 13 2017 @ 03:24 PM
link   
a reply to: onehuman

I think this is the right one.

It only shows the car after it is heading toward the crowd though. Not him stopped in the road. That was just testimony from his friend and they hadn't started recording yet.

posted on Aug, 13 2017 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Perhaps when they tear down the statue, they could replace it with one of Heather Heyer.

Although, it should obviously be the decision of the locals in the immediate area.

posted on Aug, 13 2017 @ 05:26 PM
link   
I've lived in the neighborhood of one of these statues. It is very much a part of the community.

The civil war was the most important historic event in these places and drives a tourist industry.

When I was a kid, I had action figures and loved them all, good guys and bad guys. This is no different.

Now people want to come in and take away the things that make our neighborhoods unique.

How about building more statues instead??

posted on Aug, 13 2017 @ 05:36 PM
link   
a reply to: ItsNotIronic

Nobody is coming in and taking anything away.

The people there, in the town where the statue is at want it removed.

The outsiders are the ones coming in and trying to force them to leave it there.

It's their statue. They can remove it if they want.

You say it's part of the community. Well, it's that same community that is wanting to take it down. So let them.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 08:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals
and what job was that. how you going to stop a riot from a helicopter? drop water shoot rubber bullets drop pepper spray?

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 09:04 AM
link   
a reply to: mOjOmlooks to me like something put togther by the art department at a certain 2 letter agency

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 01:04 PM
link   
So is it not odd that this helicopter went down and killed 2 on the same day/time as the protesting? What was their mission? Was it a frequency that took the 2 officers down? I mean this is really odd. Seems like THEY.... both left and right WANT to see US divided and fighting. False flag at best... my opinion anyway.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 02:33 PM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

I think at this point, the only people willing to protest are those expecting fight.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 03:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: mOjOm

Again, removing a statue isn't removing the history.

Then why remove it???

Removing history is exactly what they are trying to accomplish.

They want to welcome a new south.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 05:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: kyleplatinum

Then why remove it???

Because they don't like the statue anymore. Maybe they want to erect a giant statue of Rick and Morty there instead. What difference does it make. Removing the statue doesn't remove the history of Gen. Lee. That is just insane. That single statue doesn't hold the knowledge or recorded history of Gen. Lee within it. You can still learn about him from any library, the internet, museums, books, etc.

Removing one statue doesn't erase history. That is just a dumb argument. I don't know why some of you think that is a valid argument to make. Unless that statue is the only source of information about Gen. Lee then it's removal isn't going to erase history of him.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Then why remove it???

Because they don't like the statue anymore. Maybe they want to erect a giant statue of Rick and Morty there instead. What difference does it make. Removing the statue doesn't remove the history of Gen. Lee. That is just insane. That single statue doesn't hold the knowledge or recorded history of Gen. Lee within it. You can still learn about him from any library, the internet, museums, books, etc.

Removing one statue doesn't erase history. That is just a dumb argument. I don't know why some of you think that is a valid argument to make. Unless that statue is the only source of information about Gen. Lee then it's removal isn't going to erase history of him.

Why do they not like the statue anymore?... Because its part of their plan to renovate the city, to position itself as a welcoming, progressive beacon of the new South.

The statues were seen as a symbol of racism and white supremacy.

Removing the statue does not mean erasing history, your right, but it sure in hell means hiding/getting rid of symbolic history, which as it seems is very important to some people, as it should be.

It is a very valid argument

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Well, they might have a point there don't ya think???

It wasn't exactly the Girl Scouts of America who showed up to defend the statue now is it???

So perhaps NOT having a statue that is a symbol of racism and white supremacy in your town is viewed by many as a good idea. So they decided they should remove it.

After all, people can still learn about Gen. Lee without that statue there and they won't have to have a symbol like that in their town.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 11:02 PM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

But were they really??

Key words are "were seen" .. by who, the vice mayor and a small misguided following??

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Then why remove it???

There probably has been a large change in local Demographics over the decades.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 11:14 PM
link   
a reply to: kyleplatinum

After this weekend when multiple groups of White Supremacists and Racists showed up to protect that statue, I'd say just about everyone in the world sees them that way now too.

I mean that statue (symbol) was literally the symbol chosen by the White Nationalists to rally around. So regardless of what it may have meant before, it's now been stained with being a symbol of racists now, like it or not.

Which should be a big clue as to why before this weekend others may have also seen it as a symbol of Racist White Supremacy as well. Because if it wasn't then all those groups wouldn't have rallied around it like they did.

BTW, all symbols will include the key words "Were seen". It's a symbol. That's what symbols are. They are seen as having some meaning by others. It's not always the same meaning either. That's how symbols work.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join