It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So White Lives Matter March = White Nationalist? Lol

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 05:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Kryties

Yeah, it's a tough call with no crystal ball. Ignore them and they grow in numbers or ignore them and they fade away? Could go either way. Thing with dog poo is it doesn't go away without rinsing down the plughole under the hot tap. The analogy is telling us something

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 05:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

Yeah, the more I think about that analogy the more appropriate it seems.

I honestly don't know what to do about it. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 05:50 AM
link   

I don't know about where you're from, the UK Far-Right guys don't wave Nazi Swastika flags around. We have at least two rallies a year in the North West and they just don't fly Nazi stuff.

I wonder why the American ones do?

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 05:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky
a reply to: fiverx313

Angry geeks in their activity outfits and boy scout patches.

give 'em a merit badge for being big ol' tough guys, rawr!

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 05:59 AM
link   

I don't know about where you're from, the UK Far-Right guys don't wave Nazi Swastika flags around. We have at least two rallies a year in the North West and they just don't fly Nazi stuff.

I wonder why the American ones do?

Aussie here mate. I believe the same applies to our Far-Right people. Can't say I've ever seen a Nazi flag here, the closest they come to a symbol seems to be a tattoo of the Southern Cross somewhere on them and Aussie flags being used as capes. It's ridiculous, we laugh at them, they are insignificant (regardless of how empowered they may feel at the moment).

The fact that the Americans go the "Full Monty" and break out Nazi and KKK symbols tells me they are at a whole new level of hatred than the ones I'm used to here.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 06:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: fiverx313

a reply to: fiverx313

Angry geeks in their activity outfits and boy scout patches.

give 'em a merit badge for being big ol' tough guys, rawr!

Don't get me wrong, there are some hardcore tough men on the far-Right fringes. Scary guys.

The marchers aren't them. They do love a good patch and a badge for their shoulders. GI Joe action outfits giving each other 'merit badges.' .

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 06:10 AM
link   

I wonder if it's about acceptance? Are Americans more used to having Neo-Nazis? They've had active Nazis since the 1930s and the KKK has had its ups and many, many downs. It caught me by surprise to see them flying swastika flags in broad day light.

Aussie and UK 'nazis' have tended to be thick skinheads who just liked the Nazi regalia. The UK 'old guard' were the National Front and Combat18. They didn't mind flashing the swastika tattoos and flying the Nazi salutes. They morphed into more PR friendly outfits and dropped the Nazi associations. The UK white nationalists have been publicly moving away from Neo-Nazi affiliations for 20 years. Despite that, I remember one of the leaders being filmed in a pub chanting Nazi slogans. It's gone behind closed doors more than actually going away.

Like you say though, they are insignificant. At least in a political sense they don't matter.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 06:21 AM
link   

Just a thought, but perhaps it's got something to do with the fact that the UK had the crap bombed out of you by the Nazis and America didn't? Perhaps, even though they do share ideologies with the Nazis, the UK (and by extension the Aussie) Far-Right crowd know there is a line that they shouldn't cross - the memory of the destruction caused and the lives lost is still with even them.

The Americans, however, not having experienced this on home soil, perhaps experience a disconnect and do not have the same ingrained memory and therefore see no issue with displaying such evil symbols.

Like I said, it's just a thought-bubble.

edit on 15/8/2017 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 06:26 AM
link   

Yeah, it's a tough call with no crystal ball. Ignore them and they grow in numbers or ignore them and they fade away? Could go either way. Thing with dog poo is it doesn't go away without rinsing down the plughole under the hot tap. The analogy is telling us something

I don't think paying attention to them directly will make them go away. Want them to go away? You need to lower their ability to recruit new members out of our ever more isolated and economically depressed youth. You need to give that youth something better to believe in.

It is no surprise that there is a resurgence in hate groups at a time of such heightened economic presrure; the American dream has faild most of these people (KKK, Nazi, Antics, innercity gangs, ect) and they are turning too something that makes them feel valuable and needed.

Someone above mentioned that these guys like to give them selves merit badges. They are so desperate for validation because they aren't getting it any where else in our society.

It's said that our leaders are ignoring this fact and instead are fulling the fire for political expedience.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 06:32 AM
link   

I wonder if it's about acceptance? Are Americans more used to having Neo-Nazis? They've had active Nazis since the 1930s and the KKK has had its ups and many, many downs. It caught me by surprise to see them flying swastika flags in broad day light.

Aussie and UK 'nazis' have tended to be thick skinheads who just liked the Nazi regalia. The UK 'old guard' were the National Front and Combat18. They didn't mind flashing the swastika tattoos and flying the Nazi salutes. They morphed into more PR friendly outfits and dropped the Nazi associations. The UK white nationalists have been publicly moving away from Neo-Nazi affiliations for 20 years. Despite that, I remember one of the leaders being filmed in a pub chanting Nazi slogans. It's gone behind closed doors more than actually going away.

Like you say though, they are insignificant. At least in a political sense they don't matter.

The National front eventually morphed into the British National Party (BNP) which has declined to the point where it is nothing more than the ghost of a joke. I think that it has exactly one councillor at the moment in the UK. It never had any MPs.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 06:38 AM
link   

Why do some leftist Americans wave around with Communism flags? One can argue that Communism has killed just as many people as Nazism did.
I don't see Communism flags around Europe anymore.

I wonder why some Americans proudly display them?

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 07:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Nikola014

what the heck does a communism flag look like?
other than semantic mush yea
edit on 15-8-2017 by continuousThunder because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 07:33 AM
link   

The Communist flag and Che Guevara images are generally regarded as cool by European students. Partially the design qualities and they're both seen as iconic. In my experience they were more fashionable than political even though they're definitively 'Left.' They were more anti-Capitalist symbols than pro-Communist. I've no idea if it extends to American campuses.

originally posted by: AngryCymraeg

The National front eventually morphed into the British National Party (BNP) which has declined to the point where it is nothing more than the ghost of a joke. I think that it has exactly one councillor at the moment in the UK. It never had any MPs.

Correct. They got bugger all in recent elections and iirc fielded two candidates down south.

a reply to: DanDanDat

A fair and reasonable summary

edit on 8.15.2017 by Kandinsky because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 09:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: continuousThunder

Looks like your worst nightmare

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 10:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

originally posted by: continuousThunder
Mya reply to: Nikola014

Looks like your worst nightmare

So a Communism flag looks like the local community swimming pool near where I grew up, complete with me actively drowning in it?

That's some flag.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 10:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nikola014

Why do some leftist Americans wave around with Communism flags? One can argue that Communism has killed just as many people as Nazism did.
I don't see Communism flags around Europe anymore.

I wonder why some Americans proudly display them?

So you're trying to conflate the two to make Nazism a non-issue

Gotcha. Amazing.

It's like we can't discuss more than one issue at a time

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Americans in many places have to put up with the gang warfare and home invasions that some segments of the population participate in. That's the worst fear, to have the police call you at work and tell you that the body of your partner has been found, and the children are still missing. They have a saying "When seconds count, the police take minutes to arrive". They might not approve of their own children joining the KKK or being a neo-nazi, but they won't
want to become involved if someone else does.

You can go down the rabbithole of poverty, the causes of poverty, offshoring, illegal immigration and all of that. But the presence of gangs like MS13 in the country leads to gangs in prisons, which in turn lead to white nationalist gangs as a form of self-defence for whites. Especially for those who can't afford the gated communities on the outer suburbs of the metropolis. So they are in favor of the right to own weapons. Even more so since most of the land between the East and West coasts is either desert, farmland or mountains, so you need something to defend yourself from wildlife.

But the main cause is poverty, lack of career options, seeing their wages fall due to globalisation, and the liberals in the major cities telling them off for not doing more to better their own situation, when those liberals are the ones siging trade agreements to give away jobs (Lima Declaration of 1975, NAFTA).

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 12:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Quetzalcoatl14
oh wow, a series of ad hominems and logical fallacies. I work in social justice, and with NGOs and government. So please, don't bring your judgements around here. I am deeper in the activist/social justice world than you are, just based on what you said. It doesn't sound like your career nor focus.

Further, I have graduate degrees related to these topics, so it's doubtful you are more educated than me on these topics, per your insinuation that I'm uneducated.

I didn't say I was having a hard time in life. You are putting words in my mouth and manipulating. I said that there are some individuals who have taken social justice to an extreme and are now acting in hateful or bigoted manners toward white people or white males.

It's a recent development, and it wasn't this way a decade ago.

a reply to: amazing

All I'm saying is this.

A. Anyone who's having a hard time as a white male is playing the victim and needs to take responsibility for their lives.
B. Sure there's a few nut jobs doing and saying crazy things about white males, but it's so small as to be unnoticeable unless you're on a right wing blog or something. It has no affect/effect on anyone's life except those in category A above.

C. If we're having a pissing contest I highly doubt you do more for the community than me. LOL

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Excuse me, you began the insults and "pissing contest." You insulted my education level and other things. You responded to a post not about you with complete disrespect towards me.

Secondly, it's clear you have poor reading comprehension and debate skills. The topic in question is whether or not some individuals are acting in a hateful manner towards white males, NOT whether any individual posting here is having a hard time. Please don't move the goal posts. It's manipulative.

Is your entire career and everything you've done related to evidence based policy and community impact surrounding anti poverty and all related intersecting issues (education, affordable housing, economic justice, etc)? If not, you should be a little more respectful to strangers and not presume.

Finally it's clear to me that you are not actively involved in the actual social justice activist spaces aforementioned, and you really don't have any leg to stand on regarding judging the impact of current trends. You are an outsider, presuming to judge. The division and cannibilism in these spaces are actually actively pushing people away and lowering the potential impact of these orgs.

reply to: amazing

edit on 15-8-2017 by Quetzalcoatl14 because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-8-2017 by Quetzalcoatl14 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: testingtesting

It was sarcasm. Sorry.

new topics

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16 >>

join