It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How dumb does one have to be...

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+15 more 
posted on Aug, 12 2017 @ 12:11 PM
link   
... to not be able to operate a statue?

I'm watching the rioting in Charlottesville, VA. It's quite the spectacle, I have to say. One group hates a statue,while another group honors the statue, and now both are at each others' throats. Nice.

A statue is a piece of rock shaped to look like something or someone. That's it. It has no soul, no feelings, no intent, no agenda. It's a piece of rock. For many years I have looked at similar rocks. There's a statue in Birmingham AL of the god Vulcan looking to the sky. It's nice. I saw the Statue of Liberty across the water one time. Again, nice, but a little anticlimactic for me; I expected it to be bigger. There's a bust in the county seat of the guy who the town is named after. Interesting, but kinda abstract... I don't think chins that sharp exist in nature.

I have friends who hate that bust of the founder... he wasn't a very nice guy according to them. I know people who see Vulcan and proclaim it is evil because it is an idol of a false god. But it's the same piece of rock I looked at. How can it elicit such different responses in different people?

Maybe because it's a rock.

And then I remembered Exodus 20:4:

Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth:

I always wondered what was so bad about a statue that God Himself would forbid them... now I know. God, in His infinite wisdom, realized that humanity was simply not intelligent enough to operate a rock.

It's time like this that I think we need to stop worrying about the nature of matter, the climate of the planet, the scope of the universe, or the energy within the atom. We need to get back to the basics: things like "How to Operate a Rock 101." Now if we can just find an instructor...

TheRedneck

+11 more 
posted on Aug, 12 2017 @ 12:15 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

The American flag is just a piece of cloth, right?

I mean, people actually bomb and kill each other over that?

Idiots. Maybe we need a manual on how to operate a piece of cloth as well.

posted on Aug, 12 2017 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Idol wotship

posted on Aug, 12 2017 @ 12:24 PM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Rock is a prerequisite to cloth.

TheRedneck

posted on Aug, 12 2017 @ 12:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks

The American flag is just a piece of cloth, right?
I mean, people actually bomb and kill each other over that?
Idiots. Maybe we need a manual on how to operate a piece of cloth as well.

And the Construction and the Bill of Right are just pieces of paper.

originally posted by: TheRedneck
a reply to: underwerks

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Rock is a prerequisite to cloth.

TheRedneck

Cloth/paper cover the rock, the rock smashes the scissors, and the scissors cuts the cloth/paper.

posted on Aug, 12 2017 @ 12:37 PM
link   
It's not the rock itself, nor the piece of cloth. It is the meaning behind the chiseling of the rock into a symbol or the weaving and dyeing of the cloth into a sigil.

Symbology is powerful and meaningful and represents something. That 'something' may evolve into something else, as has the Confederate flag. To many, the Confederate flag now represents an historical lesson, or a right to your own beliefs, or a cultural heritage to be remembered.

posted on Aug, 12 2017 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Uh, it's not the material it's the representation, the idea of what a statue represents-like your cross if you are a Christian. You would not like that "desecrated." Doesn't matter what material the cross is made of. My mother has several made of diamonds.

posted on Aug, 12 2017 @ 12:44 PM
link   
People are, until proven otherwise, idiots--easily lead sheep.

Oh, it's evil. Baaa-baaa-baaa.

Oh, it's good. Baaa-baaa-baaa.

Whatever, y'know? If it makes you happy to think one way about it, cool, have at it. I'm not going to attempt to stop you. Even sheep get mad.

But two flocks of sheep fighting over what is, when boiled down to its essence, a rock? All that one can do is shake one's damned head (Hey, my hillbilly brother, is it bad that I typed that in an Alabama drawl??
)

For your entertainment:

At least they have an excuse.

posted on Aug, 12 2017 @ 12:45 PM
link   
The protesters could have a civil game of cloth, riot shield/baton, rock to decide if the statues stays.

Crap what about those offensive statues in europe with their genitals on display, Venus should be clothed, uncovered meat. Shirley the cherubs of the chapels are inspiring lust upon children and need sensoring.

All those statues of Jesus offend atheist too, I say a campaign is needed to bring down christ the redeemer. Whilst at it replace all church croses too, as they may as well have the rack and chains or some water boarding equipment hanging on their spires.
edit on 12-8-2017 by aliensanonymous because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2017 @ 12:48 PM
link   
I've never understood symbolism. Whether it's a nation's flag, a statue or damn near anything else for that matter.

People need to relax and find better things to do with their time than worry about symbols.

posted on Aug, 12 2017 @ 12:49 PM
link   
a reply to: queenofswords

It's not the rock itself, nor the piece of cloth. It is the meaning behind the chiseling of the rock into a symbol or the weaving and dyeing of the cloth into a sigil.

Who determines what that rock means to you?

TheRedneck

posted on Aug, 12 2017 @ 12:52 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 12 2017 @ 12:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert
I've never understood symbolism. Whether it's a nation's flag, a statue or damn near anything else for that matter.

People need to relax and find better things to do with their time than worry about symbols.

Sure you do. You chose a particular symbol for your avatar. You understand.

posted on Aug, 12 2017 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

At least they have an excuse.

And more intelligence than humanity, it seems. They have graduated to reproduction.

TheRedneck

posted on Aug, 12 2017 @ 12:59 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

You don't?

Then what is the clenched fist avatar that you've had since forever?

link   

originally posted by: ElOmen
Idol wotship

Idiots Worship?

Idols of little significance. History should be rembered, not worshiped or erased. Remberance of the good the bad and the ugly. All elments of history are required for an encompassing direction of the future.

link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck

Who determines what that rock means to you?

TheRedneck

Me.

And, as I said, over the decades and/or centuries, symbols may take on additional or different meaning to different people. The Confederate flag is a prime example, as are the historical statues.

posted on Aug, 12 2017 @ 01:00 PM
link   
a reply to: aliensanonymous

Well said.

posted on Aug, 12 2017 @ 01:04 PM
link   

let's sugar coat the reason or ideals behind those defending the "rock" (even though it's obvious) ;
but let's not sugar coat the idiots who think the other idiots don't have their rights to be idiots...

it's not as simple as just a "rock"... this river runs deep, and never in recent history the tides were this swelled up...
edit on 12-8-2017 by odzeandennz because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2017 @ 01:13 PM
link   

CORRECT! Now, who determines what that rock means to me?

Careful, this might be a trick question.

TheRedneck

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join