It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

106-year-old Antarctic Fruitcake Found

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2017 @ 12:08 PM
link   

No...not THIS guy.

But an actual 106 year old fruitcake was just discovered in a hut in Antarctica...and, apparently, it still may be edible.

Scientists are currently drawing straws to put that hypothesis to the test.

Move over, Twinkies. You've been bested in the "food that refuses to decompose" department, and the contest wasn't even close.

Conservators with the New Zealand-based Antarctic Heritage Trust recently discovered a 106-year-old fruitcake in Antarctica's oldest building, a hut on Cape Adare.

A fruitcake is a dense, brick-like confection spiked with lumps of dried fruit and nuts that is traditionally regifted at Christmas. It is known for its long shelf life, although usually not 100 years long.

The Antarctic dessert was found wrapped in paper in a decrepit tin. But despite its rotting container, the cake was said to be in "excellent condition."
"There was a very, very slight rancid butter smell to it, but other than that, the cake looked and smelled edible," trust program manager Lizzie Meeks said.

www.sfgate.com...

posted on Aug, 12 2017 @ 12:12 PM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

See, never re-gift your fruitcake, just put it with survival supplies.
I wonder if the odd smell might be the dried fruits turning into alcohol? I think often brandy or rum is added to fruitcake, which would be helping with its longevity

posted on Aug, 12 2017 @ 12:12 PM
link   
But was it properly soaked in rum?

Questions!! We have Questions!!!

posted on Aug, 12 2017 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Matured Huntley & Palmers fruitcake , that'll go down lovely with a nice cup of Earl Grey.

Keep calm and eat cake.

posted on Aug, 12 2017 @ 02:07 PM
link   
oh good, I was wondering where that fruitcake had wandered off to. We've been passing it around in my family since good old King Harold, I think. At least, that's what it looks like....

posted on Aug, 12 2017 @ 03:22 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Keep calm and drink single malt.

posted on Aug, 12 2017 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Looks fresher than some of the things that used to be sold in our student union cafe. At least we know what it was meant to be.

posted on Aug, 12 2017 @ 05:16 PM
link   
It's the rum !!! It must have been soaked really nicely. ...I own a rum cake company. , and my cakes last forever !( litho ugh I doubt I'll find out if they last over 100 years ). Alcohol is a natural preservative ! ...drink more rum !

posted on Aug, 12 2017 @ 08:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT

a 106-year-old fruitcake in Antarctica's oldest building, a hut on Cape Adare.

...O'rly....

We're so sure of that?
edit on 8/12/2017 by prevenge because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2017 @ 08:54 PM
link   

106-year-old Antarctic Fruitcake for President 2020

All hail our new 106-year-old Antarctic Fruitcake Overlord.

*bow*

posted on Aug, 12 2017 @ 08:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: snowspirit

I wonder if the odd smell might be the dried fruits turning into alcohol? I think often brandy or rum is added to fruitcake, which would be helping with its longevity

Yes on the brandy.

I make the fruitcake every year. I rehydrate the dried fruit in brandy and then spritz the finished cake every night for up to a month or more in brandy.

I do a kiddie version using OJ in place of brandy.

I also make traditional Christmas pudding that has to be steamed. That uses MOAR brandy and also stout beer.

posted on Aug, 12 2017 @ 08:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

originally posted by: snowspirit

Yes on the brandy.

I make the fruitcake every year. I rehydrate the dried fruit in brandy and then spritz the finished cake every night for up to a month or more in brandy.

I do a kiddie version using OJ in place of brandy.

posted on Aug, 12 2017 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Big deal with all the regifting there's older fruitcakes under people's trees at christmas.

posted on Aug, 12 2017 @ 09:04 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

😋 I haven't had Xmas pudding for so long. No one else around me eats it. I think I might make (or buy) one this year and have it all to myself.

Your fruitcake sounds good too.
I should try making one.....

posted on Aug, 12 2017 @ 09:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

106-year-old Antarctic Fruitcake for President 2020

All hail our new 106-year-old Antarctic Fruitcake Overlord.

*bow*

tRUMp cake??

would need lemon frosting though

posted on Aug, 12 2017 @ 09:31 PM
link   
IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR ALL ATS MEMBERS

In the case of a nuclear holocaust, these foods will sustain you and your family members until our alien overlords come to save us from ourselves (which could turn out to be a really really long time since they don't seem to like us much):

Fruitcake
Twinkies
Cockroaches
Keith Richards

posted on Aug, 12 2017 @ 09:34 PM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

You forgot the Christmas pudding. My mom has some squirreled away that my grandmother made. It's still apparently good. Not sure if she's holding on to it for sentimental reasons or because she really doesn't like it that much.

posted on Aug, 12 2017 @ 09:40 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

She's probably using it as a door stopper, that's what I do with all the fruitcakes I get as gifts for xmas.

posted on Aug, 12 2017 @ 10:13 PM
link   
So did these guys elect to perish rather than eat the fruitcake?

I can see the log entry.

July 1911. We just shot the dog and ate him. The dog Pemmican is gone and we have eaten all the leather we could salvage. The lads have taken a vote, and it is agreed we would all rather starve to death than eat John's grandmothers fruit cake.

posted on Aug, 12 2017 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Ill eat it. Pass that sh1t my way.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join