It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Charlottesville VA Stuck Hosting (Arguably) Largest Hate Rally In Decades

page: 30
<< 27  28  29    31  32  33 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2017 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Here's the attack from a different angle: Twitter, NSFL

posted on Aug, 12 2017 @ 03:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Falenor

Virginia requires plates on front and rear.

posted on Aug, 12 2017 @ 03:28 PM
link   
a reply to: matafuchs

I personally am okay with the status staying - as long as the city also puts up statues and murals right next to the statue (and all over town as well) of all the bad stuff that happened to slaves. Lynchings and beatings and separation of mothers from their children, and all the other forms of oppression...So we don't erase history and all.

posted on Aug, 12 2017 @ 03:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: luthier
a reply to: 11andrew34

I was suggesting that if your read between the lines.

However it should have been obvious. A town that voted 70 percent Clinton probably isn't as sure as you think about voting to change names, as dumb as it is without a vote.

I know the area from having lived there and still follow local media etc. I can tell you for certain that you misunderstand the character of the region by extreme oversimplification with that way of looking at it. You might look through the Cville Weekly'scoverage of this issue over the past year or so, before it really blew up today, if you're interested. It's an extremely liberal publication and their editorial position is all for removal, but their coverage is fair enough to objectively show that it was not such an easy and popular thing.

The local news (channel 29) did polls and they were all strongly in favor of not changing anything, before this issue got national attention. This would have included the entire viewing area, of course.

And Charlottesville City has lost similar ballot initiatives before, iirc. This issue is sort of a repeat of a slightly older one they had, about a statue of Lewis and Clark and Sacajawea. Charlottesville is all about TJ after all. The statue they have for the Lewis and Clark expedition has often been debated because Sacajawea is kneeling and some think she looks subservient or secondary to the men, who are standing. I liked the statue the way it was because they are just standing around while she is doing the work of pathfinding, kneeling to examine the trail. I mean I think it was obviously subversive to begin with, but obviously plenty of people didn't get it.

It's a University town and pretty smart overall. More people care about history then you might think. UVA professors came out in favor of keeping the statue and not all of them were conservative or even white. Building additional, new monuments that were more inclusive was a popular option.

Robert E Lee means a lot more to the South then slavery. Ironically, given today's events, one thing Virginians like about Robert E. Lee is that he stands for southern politeness and gallantry. That's probably the main thing people who don't know much about the area don't get about Lee. So yes, there really are liberals who voted for Clinton who don't want to make him disappear completely from history.
edit on 12-8-2017 by 11andrew34 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2017 @ 03:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: jordan77
a reply to: links234

One of the witnesses was just on TV suggesting some of the alt-right folks were trying to direct the driver where to go to get away.

Link or more specific?

He's been arrested, and he's wearing khakis and a white t-shirt.

The same exact clothing worn last night during the KKK rally.

I'm in disbelief at what's happening in my nation. KKK, Nazi's - have murdered someone and injured nineteen others in a purposeful incident, and it's being defended.

And rather than discuss the topic, the thread is full of personal insults - and the mods do nothing.

Police are now saying that the driver wasn't malicious and was scared. Absolutely unreal.

link   

originally posted by: jordan77
Paul Musgrave
@profmusgrave

Amazing how the guy who speaks off the cuff with respect to Korean nuclear weapons chooses his words precisely to avoid condemning bigots.

He's waiting for the Breitbart wing of his administration to finish up their celebratory orgy.

link   
a reply to: homers1226

it must be a hell of a thing to kill someone

It must be a hell of a thing to lie down and submit.
Shame.

I'm not talking about killing just to kill but killing to protect.

link   
a reply to: magnetik

I just read a NYT article about this situation and they referred to this as a "white nationalist" demonstration.

I'm genuinely confused.........just what exactly is "white nationalist"? Do they mean "white separatist" as in they want a separate white nation? And if so, just exactly where could that possibly happen?

What is this demonstration all about anyway? What are they protesting?

link   
a reply to: TinfoilTP

You can't just foist this off as "the KKK." This is the Alt-Right core exposing itself for what it's always been, even as so many denied its existence and its role.

These aren't outsiders. Some of these people were principal organizers of Trump's social media army.

The "alt-media" was happy to give them a platform.

Many delighted in adopting their memes and ridiculing those who pointed out the obvious.

Denied their associations:

This isn't simply "the KKK" and honestly, I'm glad they've decided to have a "Unite the Right" rally to band these disparate groups together. Finally, they themselves are bringing to light what's been denied. Now we can *all* connect the dots.

posted on Aug, 12 2017 @ 03:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

Ah...thanks, did not know that.

link   
a reply to: links234
gee there was two cars in the middle of that crowd and I didn't see anyone throwing anything at them....
don't really see anyone throwing anything at the car on the other video also..
but if people want to use that as a defense or the indefensible..
who am I to tell them no, I mean, with freedom of speech and all that...

link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

Look like a bunch of nutters to me.

Its really hard for me to take these people seriously.

link   
a reply to: 11andrew34

I think if you read my comments I already stated that about lee. I was just saying maybe if you voted 70 percent Clinton the vote wouldn't be as predictable as you thought.

Also my point was that some satues have things like this.

So I was trying to feel out what the situation is. I live in SC. Before that Texas. I don't need the history lesson. Also am not a leftist.

edit on 12-8-2017 by luthier because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2017 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Witnesses confirm White Nationalists on the ground helped the car get away. Per MSNBC.

posted on Aug, 12 2017 @ 03:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme
a reply to: Falenor

Virginia requires plates on front and rear.

So he took the front plate off but left the rear on??
Not sure what your point is?

link   
I imagine most will try to tie this in to every Trump voter.

If karma exists, I would only ask that the cowardly murderous driver be a Hillary and/or Bernie supporter.

link   
a reply to: homers1226

Virginia has the death penalty.
They still use an electric chair if the condemned chooses it.
Otherwise it defaults to lethal injection.

posted on Aug, 12 2017 @ 03:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian
a reply to: TinfoilTP

You can't just foist this off as "the KKK." This is the Alt-Right core exposing itself for what it's always been, even as so many denied its existence and its role.

These aren't outsiders. Some of these people were principal organizers of Trump's social media army.

The "alt-media" was happy to give them a platform.

Many delighted in adopting their memes and ridiculing those who pointed out the obvious.

Denied their associations:

This isn't simply "the KKK" and honestly, I'm glad they've decided to have a "Unite the Right" rally to band these disparate groups together. Finally, they themselves are bringing to light what's been denied. Now we can *all* connect the dots.

So are you saying those faces of the group are racists because some of those followers are racists?

Curious what your stance is on the people who say BLM are cop killers because some followers of the BLM movement have killed cops.

posted on Aug, 12 2017 @ 03:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
I imagine most will try to tie this in to every Trump voter.

If karma exists, I would only ask that the cowardly murderous driver be a Hillary and/or Bernie supporter.

Like the guy who shot up congress was every Democrat. It's the way the partisans work. They live to divide.

posted on Aug, 12 2017 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Witness also confirm driver was white. Per MSNBC.

new topics

top topics

<< 27  28  29    31  32  33 >>

join