It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Writing Conference Canceled Because Of Too Many White People

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Racism takes many forms

This is just another example of it

How can we get beyond race when things like this happen?

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 05:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire

originally posted by: pavil

a reply to: TonyS

Yes, I understand that. But I do not see it as a ''PC'' crowd. Basically it is the essence of the market place. You develop product to suit the various whims of the potential buyers. We all know by now that the balance of American demographic is changing. More and more children are being born that do not reflect the white demographic. As the white demographic has already been saturated as I pointed out, and kiddie books that reflect that demographic are on sale in flea markets for a nickel apiece, in order to continue the profit incentive of the book industry, it needs to look to a larger demographic for sales. And what demographic has been under developed? Children of color.

It's capitalism that rules and the book companies are looking for new and wider markets. Simple. If that's what you see as racism, then I guess that is your prerogative though I see it as only catering to the wishes of the emerging market place.

So would it be proper in your world for a white writer to write childrens books with minority characters and issues? Or would that not be inclusive enough?

In ''my world'', I refer back to my original post, there are already enough children's books. But once again I see it in light of the market place. If the market place wants minority characters written by white people fine. If the market place wants minority characters written by minorities then fine. Especially since those ''minorities are no longer the ''minorities''. I am amazed that so many people seem not to have come to grips with this yet.

Right now we live in a capitalist economy where supposedly the market place governs what is produced and consumed. There seems little regard to ethics or morals in it's governing principles. So if the big pharma wants to sell funny named products to old people by scaring the # out of them night after night and it works, well then, that's capitalism. If book sellers want books oriented towards certain ethnic groups and they think they can make a profit from it well then that's capitalism.

This ain't my world and I do not make the rules, I just try to get along without bringing the man down on my head.

What about just writing kids books that all kids like? Does it really matter the race of the person writing those stories? It's hard trying to have it both ways isn't it? You try to coat it in the veneer of capitalism, but it's pretty transparent. Capitalism is green, not black, white or orange.

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 05:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT
So, we have a Minnesota literary center organizing a conference where writers are set up to speak to attendees about children's book writing.
But the organizers decided to cancel the conference because, of the 22 speakers that agreed to come,...21 of them were white.

THIS after organizers had initially invited "30 persons of color" to speak...but none accepted the invitation.

Is there any possible way that this is not a glittering example of racism on the part of the conference's organizers?

Consider, for the sake of argument, that the title of this thread was "Writing Conference Canceled Because Of Too Many Black People".
Racism?

A Minnesota writing conference was canceled Wednesday after people complained about the lack of diversity in the line-up of writers that were going to attend.

The organizers of the Loft Literary Center’s conference, aimed at teaching people how to write young adult novels, scrapped their plans when they learned that all the speakers but one were white, reports the Star Tribune.

“We have set a goal for ourselves to be inclusive and to work toward equity, and we didn’t think the conference would live up to that mission,” Britt Udesen, executive director of the Loft, said Wednesday. “We made a mistake.”

Twenty-two authors were set to speak at the event, but only one had an ethnic background. William Alexander, winner of a National Book Award, is a Cuban-American author. Udesen said the event was canceled in part because of the lack of diversity in the line-up, but also because not enough people were going to attend.

Udesen added that they invited more than 30 people of color to speak at the conference, but none accepted the invitation.

truepundit.com...

dailycaller.com...

Because of all the guns white people carry and the horrible history that goes along with it, it was probably canceled because of, it was too many white people.Racism has nothing to do with it, it was a judgment call about safety.

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Another factor was dwindling interest in the event, which has been held at least every other year since 2003. Only 13 people had registered for this year’s conference.

Star Tribune

That said, it is a racist act to mistreat anyone because of their race. Minorities can be racists as well.

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Dam honky crackers, I spit on em
edit on 11-8-2017 by GBP/JPY because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 06:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: DrStevenBrule
a reply to: IAMTAT

Don't worry SJW will just take famous White characters and stories and make them black.

So, how would that work ? For, say, Tom Sawyer....

edit on 11-8-2017 by M5xaz because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Lets face it, to these obvious racists, ANY white people is too many white people. These people don't want equality, they want to end the white demographic in America. An attitude like this towards any other racial group wouldn't be tolerated and this shouldn't be tolerated. The media is criminally silent about it, or should I say complicit.

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 08:08 PM
link   

a reply to: TonyS

Yes, I understand that. But I do not see it as a ''PC'' crowd. Basically it is the essence of the market place. You develop product to suit the various whims of the potential buyers. We all know by now that the balance of American demographic is changing. More and more children are being born that do not reflect the white demographic. As the white demographic has already been saturated as I pointed out, and kiddie books that reflect that demographic are on sale in flea markets for a nickel apiece, in order to continue the profit incentive of the book industry, it needs to look to a larger demographic for sales. And what demographic has been under developed? Children of color.

It's capitalism that rules and the book companies are looking for new and wider markets. Simple. If that's what you see as racism, then I guess that is your prerogative though I see it as only catering to the wishes of the emerging market place.

So would it be proper in your world for a white writer to write childrens books with minority characters and issues? Or would that not be inclusive enough?

In ''my world'', I refer back to my original post, there are already enough children's books. But once again I see it in light of the market place. If the market place wants minority characters written by white people fine. If the market place wants minority characters written by minorities then fine. Especially since those ''minorities are no longer the ''minorities''. I am amazed that so many people seem not to have come to grips with this yet.

Right now we live in a capitalist economy where supposedly the market place governs what is produced and consumed. There seems little regard to ethics or morals in it's governing principles. So if the big pharma wants to sell funny named products to old people by scaring the # out of them night after night and it works, well then, that's capitalism. If book sellers want books oriented towards certain ethnic groups and they think they can make a profit from it well then that's capitalism.

This ain't my world and I do not make the rules, I just try to get along without bringing the man down on my head.

What about just writing kids books that all kids like? Does it really matter the race of the person writing those stories? It's hard trying to have it both ways isn't it? You try to coat it in the veneer of capitalism, but it's pretty transparent. Capitalism is green, not black, white or orange.

Rather, I think you are attempting to coat all of this in a veneer of race. Capitalism is what ever color sells and produces the most profit.

As to your first point, does it really matter the race of the person writing those stories? At one point I would have said no. When I was young. At that time I didn't really think about it, I just assumed that children's books were written for all kids just as you suggest they should be. However as I got older I found that many people did not think so. That the environment of much of that kiddie literature was aimed at children whose environmental realities were centered on kids of European ancestry. As I am myself of European ancestry I had to admit to myself that this was the case in most of the books I read as a child. And as I came to understand from people NOT of European ancestry, that those books were not as attractive to their children as they had been to me. I had to take their word for it.

T

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Can't completely blame them. There is a ridiculous backlash against anything not minority-equal. Jobs, events.. whatever. But some of the people need to take a stand, and when others point fingers and say "omg not enough black people," they should flip their middle finger and say screw you. Their event needed a backbone, didn't have one.

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 09:16 PM
link   

I"m going to skip the race issue you raise if you don't mind. The old old old idea of pointing something out by flipping the color around, black to white or white to black no longer serves a purpose other than to provide what ever justification for whichever bias one already holds.

Rather I would like to address the main issue of that confrence, simply, just who in hell needs more children's books?
We can go to any cheap flee market or Goodwill and find shelves filled to over flowing children's books for under a quarter. Why in hell is there even a conference where kiddie book authors speak presumably to new and up coming kiddie authors on how to do it. Why oh why.

In that vein, why ever create any new books at all, children or adult? Fleamarkets and garage sales are packed full of all sorts of books. Why new music? There's so much music out there that you could go your entire life without ever hearing it all. Tastes shift. Ideas change. Culture evolves.

Never ever creating new works of art means a civilization begins to stagnate. The fact that it's children's books doesn't mean they're not important and new works should never be created.

As to the article itself, it's flat out racism and discrimination. But then again, what do we expect now a days.

edit on 8/11/2017 by Subrosabelow because: (no reason given)

edit on 8/11/2017 by Subrosabelow because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 11:57 PM
link   

The phrase "people of colour" is in itself, racist. I'm a person of colour. In fact I'm multi-coloured.my colours are generally white, red, Brown and a bit of blue when I have bruises.

What a f*cking joke all this PC crap is.

posted on Aug, 12 2017 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Writing is about as White as it gets.
It's been a good thing for civilization.
Cancelling it for lack of response is reprehensible to everyone who made plans to attend.

posted on Aug, 12 2017 @ 01:23 AM
link   

In other news 100rds of torch bearing Nazis gather in Virginia beating up blk ppl.

posted on Aug, 12 2017 @ 03:35 AM
link   

Don't worry SJW will just take famous White characters and stories and make them black.

Would love to see a liberal version of Moby Dick....

posted on Aug, 12 2017 @ 04:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: DrBobH

Why ???.. Would capt Ahab, obsess with simply wanting to take the perfect camara shot of ol Moby rather than hunting that poor animal to death??.or tag Moby with a tracker to better protect it from whalers?? Shouting green peace!! While being dragged to the depths of the deep blue hell..

And to DrSteven Brule..
A great many characters both fictional and non frictional have been whitened, so much so, that it has been taken for granted that these characters were whites.. Ex: Andromeda, child of king Cepheus and queen Cassiopeia of Ethiopia, that's just a simple example..
However to the point of cancelling the conference or waddeva because enough ppl of color didn't bother to show up, is bull snip, like the saying goes the show must go on no matter who show or didn't.
edit on 12-8-2017 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2017 @ 06:26 AM
link   

Affirmative action is good, but total color-blindness would be better. It would certainly have saved the conference organizers some trouble.

The winner of last year's Caldecott medal was African-American -- or was it someone from the islands? I bought the book for my son. Anyway, there are people of color in children's books. Why couldn't they attract any to the conference? Answer: THey didn't pay for them to attend. These days if you want conference attendees, you have to pay to get the line-up you want. If you want color, you pay for it.

Cheapskates.

posted on Aug, 12 2017 @ 06:30 AM
link   

The conference organizers blew it. Racism still exists, but these days, if white people want black people on their conference panel, they have to pay for it. Color is in, and it's here to stay. It can actually pay to be a person of color. Any author would know this -- if you want to be successful, you have to be a personality and you have to represent something. And you don't do freebies if you respect yourself.

Those conference organizers should have ponied up a cool 50K to invite the people of color they wanted, and effing PAID them to attend. That's how it works. The idiots.

posted on Aug, 12 2017 @ 06:51 AM
link   

Affirmative action is good, but total color-blindness would be better.
a reply to: Namdru

Does this apply to the people of color who didn't attend because there were "too many white people"? Why is it we have to be colorblind but no one else does?

posted on Aug, 12 2017 @ 06:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wide-Eyes

I'm a person of colour.

i can only imagine the sh1t storm if a mod shutdown this thread because we hsd a person of color participating.

What a f*cking joke all this PC crap is

its not only a joke but very one sided towards white males.

This would have been just as acceptable for the pc crowd , had it been closed down due to not enough women writers showing up.

from what i have seen, being PC means being sexist and racist towards white males.

edit on 55831America/ChicagoSat, 12 Aug 2017 06:55:02 -0500000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2017 @ 07:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: DrBobH

"Call me Ishmael, but don't assume my gender. . . . . "

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join