It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Writing Conference Canceled Because Of Too Many White People

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 03:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
a reply to: IAMTAT

Can't wait until the nba cancels their season because of goals of equity.

yikes..
My favorite sport is Hockey...

I just realized how racist I am...

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 03:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: DrStevenBrule

Don't worry SJW will just take famous White characters and stories and make them black.

Don't forget gender changes..

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 03:20 PM
link   
The problem is 2-fold.

1. People complaining of lack of diversity (Quit complaining you wussies!)
2. The organizers caved to the wussies complaints (Grow a spine you wussies!)

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 03:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Jefferton

can't wait till we are a minority . then we get all the good stuff

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 03:27 PM
link   

We're going to be inclusive even if that means stacking the deck to look inclusive. There are just too many white writers willing to speak and not enough POC even though we invited them. We will have to fix that. The logic train falls off the track.

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 03:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jefferton

originally posted by: DrStevenBrule

Don't worry SJW will just take famous White characters and stories and make them black.

Don't forget gender changes..

Zhack and Zhill went up the hill.....

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 03:31 PM
link   

White people. We ruin everything!

They checked the privilege of those speakers willing to come, that's for sure. Would they have cancelled if the numbers were reversed?

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 03:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire
a reply to: TonyS

Yes, I understand that. But I do not see it as a ''PC'' crowd. Basically it is the essence of the market place. You develop product to suit the various whims of the potential buyers. We all know by now that the balance of American demographic is changing. More and more children are being born that do not reflect the white demographic. As the white demographic has already been saturated as I pointed out, and kiddie books that reflect that demographic are on sale in flea markets for a nickel apiece, in order to continue the profit incentive of the book industry, it needs to look to a larger demographic for sales. And what demographic has been under developed? Children of color.

It's capitalism that rules and the book companies are looking for new and wider markets. Simple. If that's what you see as racism, then I guess that is your prerogative though I see it as only catering to the wishes of the emerging market place.

So would it be proper in your world for a white writer to write childrens books with minority characters and issues? Or would that not be inclusive enough?

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 03:35 PM
link   

White people. We ruin everything!

Especially if your name is Lynch.

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Lol, love it. See what you did there.

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Although, they also said not enough people were going to show up in the audience. So maybe, this is just a cynical excuse for canceling it. Instead of admitting it's insufficient popularity, it's "our conference wasn't inclusive enough racially."

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Damn you white people................damn you all to hell !!!

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 03:56 PM
link   
a reply to: DrStevenBrule

Whats scarier is they may force publisher/printers to produce books with white ink on black paper. Keep us reminded that BlackPagesMatter.

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 03:59 PM
link   
a reply to: pavil

We all know the answer to that one: hell no!

That panel would then be "diverse".

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Everything is turning into "it's all about race" isn't it.

Guess we will never go to war against North Koreans as we don't have enough North Koreans in the US military.

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Most of my books are electronic now but I'll still spend $80/100 on a coffee table book about Sci-Fi or Music, I love my H R Giger prints.
Nothing beats listening to a song and looking at the lyrics and artwork on an old Vynil LP. I intend to find more time soon and bring back my LPs onto the turnmtable. Plus some of my books and LPS have a greater value now than when I bought them so they will be good to sell on Ebay

Remember the Fahrenheit 451 book by Ray Bradbury where books are outlawed? - these days its easy to manipulate knowledge by cheaply "repurposing" and censoring ebooks.

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 04:13 PM
link   
a reply to: 10uoutlaw

I'm white and have extensively travelled around the world,,,why cant I buy black Strawberry flavoured ice cream? Very Deep....

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Come on get it right!

Zhack and Zhill and Zoeeee had the hill come to them, whilst cheered on by their 2 male and 1 female parents.

One of the the males was the mother with the implanted womb. The female parent ensured she filmed it for youtube hits.

Everyone gets a pass, no-one has to climb a hill for the sake of inclusiveness.

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 04:22 PM
link   

you naughty person...suggesting such a thing!!!!!

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 04:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: pavil

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire

Yes, I understand that. But I do not see it as a ''PC'' crowd. Basically it is the essence of the market place. You develop product to suit the various whims of the potential buyers. We all know by now that the balance of American demographic is changing. More and more children are being born that do not reflect the white demographic. As the white demographic has already been saturated as I pointed out, and kiddie books that reflect that demographic are on sale in flea markets for a nickel apiece, in order to continue the profit incentive of the book industry, it needs to look to a larger demographic for sales. And what demographic has been under developed? Children of color.

It's capitalism that rules and the book companies are looking for new and wider markets. Simple. If that's what you see as racism, then I guess that is your prerogative though I see it as only catering to the wishes of the emerging market place.

So would it be proper in your world for a white writer to write childrens books with minority characters and issues? Or would that not be inclusive enough?

In ''my world'', I refer back to my original post, there are already enough children's books. But once again I see it in light of the market place. If the market place wants minority characters written by white people fine. If the market place wants minority characters written by minorities then fine. Especially since those ''minorities are no longer the ''minorities''. I am amazed that so many people seem not to have come to grips with this yet.

Right now we live in a capitalist economy where supposedly the market place governs what is produced and consumed. There seems little regard to ethics or morals in it's governing principles. So if the big pharma wants to sell funny named products to old people by scaring the # out of them night after night and it works, well then, that's capitalism. If book sellers want books oriented towards certain ethnic groups and they think they can make a profit from it well then that's capitalism.

This ain't my world and I do not make the rules, I just try to get along without bringing the man down on my head.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join