It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Writing Conference Canceled Because Of Too Many White People

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+67 more 
posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 01:49 PM
link   
So, we have a Minnesota literary center organizing a conference where writers are set up to speak to attendees about children's book writing.
But the organizers decided to cancel the conference because, of the 22 speakers that agreed to come,...21 of them were white.

THIS after organizers had initially invited "30 persons of color" to speak...but none accepted the invitation.

Is there any possible way that this is not a glittering example of racism on the part of the conference's organizers?

Consider, for the sake of argument, that the title of this thread was "Writing Conference Canceled Because Of Too Many Black People".
Racism?

A Minnesota writing conference was canceled Wednesday after people complained about the lack of diversity in the line-up of writers that were going to attend.

The organizers of the Loft Literary Center’s conference, aimed at teaching people how to write young adult novels, scrapped their plans when they learned that all the speakers but one were white, reports the Star Tribune.

“We have set a goal for ourselves to be inclusive and to work toward equity, and we didn’t think the conference would live up to that mission,” Britt Udesen, executive director of the Loft, said Wednesday. “We made a mistake.”

Twenty-two authors were set to speak at the event, but only one had an ethnic background. William Alexander, winner of a National Book Award, is a Cuban-American author. Udesen said the event was canceled in part because of the lack of diversity in the line-up, but also because not enough people were going to attend.

Udesen added that they invited more than 30 people of color to speak at the conference, but none accepted the invitation.

truepundit.com...
edit on 11-8-2017 by IAMTAT because: (no reason given)

dailycaller.com...
edit on 11-8-2017 by IAMTAT because: (no reason given)

+14 more 
posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 01:52 PM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

What isn't racist nowadays?

Sigh..

+24 more 
posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 01:54 PM
link   
White people. We ruin everything!

+46 more 
posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Can't wait until the nba cancels their season because of goals of equity.

+9 more 
posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 01:57 PM
link   

They are racists.

RacistRacistRacist

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 01:58 PM
link   
I"m going to skip the race issue you raise if you don't mind. The old old old idea of pointing something out by flipping the color around, black to white or white to black no longer serves a purpose other than to provide what ever justification for whichever bias one already holds.

Rather I would like to address the main issue of that confrence, simply, just who in hell needs more children's books?
We can go to any cheap flee market or Goodwill and find shelves filled to over flowing children's books for under a quarter. Why in hell is there even a conference where kiddie book authors speak presumably to new and up coming kiddie authors on how to do it. Why oh why.

link   

We both know there's no such thing as racism against white people. People who hate white people aren't racist, their "aggrieved".

You know, another thing to consider here is this. Assuming this nonsense continues down this path, people cancelling events like conferences and such because white people over subscribe to the event, we're likely to see A LOT fewer events like this across the country.

And that's going to be especially the case if the SJW crowd picks up on this and realizes they can roundly criticize events that don't reflect the appropriate degree (whatever that would be) of diversity.

I'm just waiting for the report from College Fix or Campus Reform that some University somewhere puts a serious cap on white enrollment. And I'd bet money the courts would uphold it.

+26 more 
link   
I could just as easily write the headline.

"Breaking: Black people don't care about children!!!"

Would be fun to see how that would fly over.

+24 more 
posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Don't worry SJW will just take famous White characters and stories and make them black.

+9 more 
posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 02:01 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

Simple really.

The "old" books won't do! They need the "new" books which properly reflect the "values" of the PC crowd.

Tell me you knew that.

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Just an old, tiresome card played...over and over

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 02:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: missed_gear

Just an old, tiresome card played...over and over

Explain, please.

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 02:10 PM
link   
What? Because of the whiteness of children’s literature in general?
Did they stop writing Wee Pals books?
Who writes in color anyway?

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 02:17 PM
link   

the event was canceled in part because of the lack of diversity in the line-up, but also because not enough people were going to attend

The lack of color at the conference appears to be just one of the reasons the cancellation. In the part that I made bold I am wondering if there simply were not enough people planning on attending or was it not enough black people planning on attending? This could have very little to do with the color of those planning on speaking at the even.

+5 more 
posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 02:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: LookingForABetterLife

the event was canceled in part because of the lack of diversity in the line-up, but also because not enough people were going to attend

The lack of color at the conference appears to be just one of the reasons the cancellation. In the part that I made bold I am wondering if there simply were not enough people planning on attending or was it not enough black people planning on attending? This could have very little to do with the color of those planning on speaking at the even.

Yet organizers point out "lack of diversity" (21 OF 22 speakers being white) as part of the reason (giving that part of the reason priority over attendance size).

Organizers were being racist as a factor involved in their decision to cancel.

In their own words, 'Race' is definitely a factor in their decision to cancel.
Racism.

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 02:36 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

Yes, I understand that. But I do not see it as a ''PC'' crowd. Basically it is the essence of the market place. You develop product to suit the various whims of the potential buyers. We all know by now that the balance of American demographic is changing. More and more children are being born that do not reflect the white demographic. As the white demographic has already been saturated as I pointed out, and kiddie books that reflect that demographic are on sale in flea markets for a nickel apiece, in order to continue the profit incentive of the book industry, it needs to look to a larger demographic for sales. And what demographic has been under developed? Children of color.

It's capitalism that rules and the book companies are looking for new and wider markets. Simple. If that's what you see as racism, then I guess that is your prerogative though I see it as only catering to the wishes of the emerging market place.

+4 more 
posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 02:37 PM
link   
So if people of color don't think it's important enough to attend or speak then it's not worth doing?

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 02:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: LookingForABetterLife

Very astute Looking. Likely many people were so willing to make this all about race that they never even bothered to read all the way to the end in order to draw conclusions on the matter.

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 02:42 PM
link   
These sort of issues are exactly why the alt right continues to rise as the only sane choice. Keep up the good work lefty's - it is only helping us.

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 02:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: imitator
What? Because of the whiteness of children’s literature in general?
Did they stop writing Wee Pals books?
Who writes in color anyway?

There's an awful lot of green ink being used these days!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join