It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your Favourite Quotes

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 02:32 AM
link   
'Women are people to Paul'-Swiss Toni played by Charlie Higson from Fast Show.

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 01:51 PM
link   
"Smile, 'n the world will smile with ya,
Cry... 'n I'll give ya someth'n to cry 'bout."
-my Pa

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen.

- Albert Einstein

Where facts are few, experts are many.

- Donald R. Gannon

Men fear thought as they fear nothing else on earth -- more than ruin -- more even than death.... Thought is subversive and revolutionary, destructive and terrible, thought is merciless to privilege, established institutions, and comfortable habit. Thought looks into the pit of hell and is not afraid. Thought is great and swift and free, the light of the world, and the chief glory of man.

- Bertrand Russell

The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function.

- F. Scott Fitzgerald

The nationalist not only does not dissapprove of attrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.

- George Orwell

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

- Bertrand Russell

One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors.

- Plato

I WAN GO TO JESA
I WAN GO WIV CRIEZ
I CAN GO WIV JESA
EF I AC RELL NIZE

- Mad guy from Silence of the Lambs

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful,
committed citizens can change the world.
Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.

- Mead

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

-Samuel Johnson

I used to think I was poor. Then they told me I wasn't poor, I was needy. Then they told me it was self-defeating to think of myself as needy, I was deprived. Then they told me deprived was a bad image, I was underprivileged. Then they told me underprivileged was overused, I was disadvantaged. I still don't have a dime. But I sure have a great vocabulary.

- Jules Feiffer

Personally, I'm in favor of democracy, which means that the central institutions of society have to be under popular control. Now, under capitalism, we can't have democracy by definition. Capitalism is a system in which the central institutions of society are in principle under autocratic control. Thus, a corporation or an industry is, if we were to think of it in political terms, fascist; that is, it has tight control at the top and strict obedience has to be established at every level--there's little bargaining, a little give and take, but the line of authority is perfectly straightforward. Just as I'm opposed to political fascism, I'm opposed to economic fascism. I think that until the major institutions of society are under the popular control of participants and communities, it's pointless to talk about democracy.

- Noam Chomsky

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.

- Aldous Huxley

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.

- Albert Einstein

In times of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

- George Orwell

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.

- Ernest Hemingway

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 11:08 PM
link   
If Math is the one true constant then mathematician answer me this:

Three friends are travelling cross country, and they stop to rent a room for the night....
The room costs $30, so they each chip in $10 for the night.
The following day the manager at the desk realizes the cable was out and gives the bellhop $5 to return to the three friends in the room.
However the bellhop sticks $2 in his pocket and hands them back $3.
So now instead of paying $10 a peice, the friends all got a dollar back.
So the each of the three friends payed $9 a peice.
9 times 3 = 27
27 plus the $2 the bellhop kept = 29

Wait .... 3 x 9 = 27 ..... plus the 2 the bellhop kept = 29?

What happened to the other dollar, the room originally cost $30 .... ?

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 11:10 PM
link   
“To know that we know what we know, and to know that we do not know what we so not know, that is true knowledge.”
--Copernicus—

“If those who lead you say to you, “See, the Kingdom is in the sky,” then the birds of the sky will precede you. If they say to you, “It is in the sea,” then the fish will precede you. Rather, the Kingdom is inside of you, and it is outside of you. When you come to know yourselves, then you will become known, and you will realize that it is you who are the sons of the living father. But if you will not know yourselves, you will dwell in poverty and it is you who are that poverty.”
--Yehoshua Ben Yosef (AKA: Jesus)-- (All the sayings of Jesus gathered from ancient sources and compiled into a single volume for the first time. Compiled by Ricky Alan Mayotte) From “The Complete Jesus”. (Page 71)

“Know thyself”
--Socrates--

“It gives me a deep comforting sense that things seen are temporal and things unseen are eternal.”
--Helen Keller--

“The spirit down here in man and the spirit up there in the sun, in reality are only one spirit, and there is no other one.”
--The Upanishads--

“Cease from the practice based on intellectual understanding, pursuing words, and following after speech, and learn the backward step that turns your light inward to illuminate your self. Body and mind of themselves will drop away, and your original face will be manifest.”
--Dogen--

“Although each of us obviously inhabits a separate physical body, the laboratory data from a hundred years of parapsychology research strongly indicate that there is no separation in consciousness.”
--Russell Targ--

“Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes.”
--Carl Gustav Jung--

“The truth dazzles gradually, or else the world would be blind.”
--Emily Dickenson--

“Man will occasionally stumble over the truth, but usually manages to pick himself up, walk over or around it, and carry on.”
--Winston Churchill--

“Everything you see has its roots in the unseen world. The forms may change, yet the essence remains the same. Every wonderful sight will vanish; every sweet word will fade, but do not be disheartened, the source they come from is eternal, growing, branching out, giving new life and new joy. Why do you weep? The source is within you and this whole world is springing up from it.”
--Jelauddin Rumi--

“Knowledge is structured in consciousness. The process of education takes place in the field of consciousness; the prerequisite to complete education is therefore the FULL development of consciousness – Enlightenment. Knowledge is not the basis of enlightenment, enlightenment is the basis of knowledge.”
--Maharishi Mahesh Yogi--

“That which the dream shows is the shadow of such wisdom as exists in man, even if during his waking state he may know nothing about it… We so not know it because we are fooling away our time with outward and perishing things, and are asleep in regard to that which is real within ourselves.”
--Philipus Aureolus Paracelsus--

“….Perhaps there is a pattern set up in the heavens for one who desires to see it, and having seen it, to find one in himself.”
--Plato—

“All matter originates and exists only by virtue of force …. We must assume behind this force the existence of a conscious and intelligent Mind. This mind is the matrix of all matter.”
--Max Planck, Nobel Prize-winning Father of Quantum Theory--

“The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.”
--Albert Einstein--

“To put the world in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must first put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must cultivate our personal life; and to cultivate our personal life, we must first set our hearts right.”
--Confucius--
“The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is.”
--Winston Churchill--

“We shall not cease from exploration. And the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.”
--T. S. Eliot--

“Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assaults of thoughts on the unthinking.”
--John Maynard Keynes--

“Nothing exists except atoms and empty space; everything else is opinion.”
--Democritus of Abdera—

“I do not feel obliged to believe that the same GOD who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.”
--Galileo Galilei--

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters to what lies within us.”
--Ralph Waldo Emerson--

“You can not see anything that you do not first contemplate as reality.”
--Ramtha--

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 10:12 AM
link   
In peace, sons bury their fathers, in war fathers bury their sons

I think thats a good quote, quotes with meaning are always one step above

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 10:14 AM
link   
"least I have chicken"

- Leeroy Jenkins, Paladin

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Esoteric Teacher
If Math is the one true constant then mathematician answer me this:

Three friends are travelling cross country, and they stop to rent a room for the night....
The room costs $30, so they each chip in $10 for the night.
The following day the manager at the desk realizes the cable was out and gives the bellhop $5 to return to the three friends in the room.
However the bellhop sticks $2 in his pocket and hands them back $3.
So now instead of paying $10 a peice, the friends all got a dollar back.
So the each of the three friends payed $9 a peice.
9 times 3 = 27
27 plus the $2 the bellhop kept = 29

Wait .... 3 x 9 = 27 ..... plus the 2 the bellhop kept = 29?

What happened to the other dollar, the room originally cost $30 .... ?

Mathmatics is a constant, numbers and statistics arent.

The three friends didnt pay $9 each, tehy paid $10 each and got a refund of $1 each while the bellhop kept $2. Subtle difference.

They paid $30 to start with and got a full refund of $5:
30 - 5 = 25

This means they actually paid $25 divided by 3:
25/3 = 8.33R

Add on the $1 refund because the bellhop stole $2 from the pot:
8.33R+1 = 9.33R

And multiply that by the number of people:
9.33R x 3 = 28

And add on the $2 the bellhop stole:
28 + 2 = 30

All the money is accounted for. Its a trick of fractions and stuff, accountants do it all the time

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 10:53 AM
link   
From Caddyshack:

Al Czervik -- Hey Sabu, can you make a bullshot??

Tony D'Annunzio -- Can you make a shoe smell??

Peace

[edit on 18-5-2005 by Dr Love]

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 02:50 PM
link   
If a man does not know to what point he is sailing, no wind is favourable

lovely little quote

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Life must be a great adventure or it is nothing at all..........
- Helen Keller

You really don't know someone until you deal with their money......
- Ben Franklin

The only way for three people to keep a secret is that two of them must be dead......
-Ben Franklin

On asking what kind of government the continental congress came up for the United states......

......Ben Franklin replied...........

"A republic for as long as we can keep it..........."

Imagination is more valuable than knowledge.......
-Einstein

but in all things be first and formost true unto thyself.........
-Shakespear

luck is where preparation meets opportunity.......
Johnny Rutherford (3x Indy 500 winner)

I'd rather be lucky than good........
Richard Petty (7x Daytona 500 winner)

Genius is 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration
- Edison (whom tried over 5,000 different elements in his lightbulb before he got one to burn longer than a few seconds)

We are overfed with information in today's society but are being starved for wisdom.
-Carl Sagan

We haven't learned to treat each other very well and we don't do a very good job of taking care of our planet either as we struggle to get past our adolence stage of technology without destroying ourselves in the process......
-Carl Sagan

We have become dependent on the ways of science and technology in today's society, yet most of us don't have any understanding of it.
- Carl Sagan

War is an illness unresolved from childhood....
-Albert Einstein

They may break our bodies, but they cannot break the idea.........
-Ghandi

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Reikuro
I know those arent really qoutes from people but their funny as hell XD

Could of fooled me...

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Ha, just found this one, then had to track down this thread to post it.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud (the Frood dude)

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 02:41 PM
link   
This is one of the 'inspirational quotes' I have on my office wall:

"They say such nice things about people at their funerals that it makes me sad to realize I'm going to miss mine by just a few days" - Garrison Keillor

and a few other Keillor classics:

"Cats are intended to teach us that not everything in nature has a function"

"A girl in a bikini is like having a loaded pistol on your coffee table - There's nothing wrong with them, but it's hard to stop thinking about it"

"I believe in looking reality straight in the eye and denying it."

And I also like the one in my sig - I stole that off a greeting card.

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 01:20 PM
link   
One of my all time favorite quotes comes from Todd Agnew:

Lord, this desert is killing me, and my throat's dry from screaming you name. I want to come home but the sands of time surround me and the dirt's finally covered my shame. So I throw myself on Your mercy. I throw myself at Your feet. I throw my filth on the grace of One who's beauty is beyond me ... Strange how forgiveness comes so easily when I call your name.

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Slater: "George Washington was in a cult, and the cult was into aliens, man!"

We're gonna kick it up a notch.

[edit on 12-7-2005 by Lysergic]

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Because I'm a heeeyoooge fan of Einstein - here are some of my favourite quotes from the great man himself.

"The hardest thing in the world to understand is the income tax."

"Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind."

"A man's ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeeded be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death."

"Heroism on command, senseless violence, and all the loathsome nonsense that goes by the name of patriotism -- how passionately I hate them!"

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."

"If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut."

And then there's one here....from Mark Twain.

"Humor is mankind's greatest blessing"

I think we need to remember that last bit

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you!!! Do you have a source from where you got that quote? Need to source it if I'm going to use it in a debate

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities also has the power to make you commit atrocities - Voltaire

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by junglejake

Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you!!! Do you have a source from where you got that quote? Need to source it if I'm going to use it in a debate

From the great man himself, Albert Einstein

Good luck with it!

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join