It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Well ... I Guess the Chinese Want Some Too

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 02:42 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Beijing doesn't have the same power over Kim Jong-Un as they did over his father , it's been known for a while that they are not happy with the situation.
I think Beijing believes Mr Kim will only attack if he's attacked hence the statement , I also believe the statement is meant as a warning to Pyongyang that if they do something stupid they're on their own.

Mr Kim's threat to fire 4 missiles toward Guam is another signal that he's doing this for effect , he's goading the US and sadly Trump and his team are falling for it.
If the situation wasn't so serious the threat would be laughable.

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 02:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: SpartanStoic
Hi all.

I'm in a unique position. An expat living in Southern China having previously lived in Guam for 7 years.

A couple of things that may have been corrected by some in the thread but TL;DR whole thread

- China has a large army and can muster an army twice the size of the US population

Correct, BUT they have no way to project that power, no air force, no naval force to move the troops they have now. Not to mention they probably couldn't ramp up their military that quickly or arm and train them.

- China is beholden to the US economy.

Correct and I'd add that doing anything to endanger your largest market for goods is very stupid. If the US taxed or trade embargoed China within 120 days the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) which runs the government would collapse. Quite simply factories run on 30-60 day order and payment windows here. They also run on very thin profit margins. If their orders fall, payroll won't be made, owners vanish leaving workers unpaid and angry, workers in China riot far MORE often than is reported (censored), they will turn their ire on the government quickly and have done so in the past. The CCP values social stability above all else, they do not want this to happen. Before anyone says Africa or Europe could absorb the goods, think again those are infinitesimal compared to the US market and factories need cash far more quickly than this could be arranged or happen.

- Guam has THAAD systems deployed on island.

Correct, confirmed by friends who live there and are in the military and federal government.

- There aren't enough US forces to mount a pre-emptive strike or counterattack.

Incorrect, do you know where all of our nuclear submarines are? I thought not. Classified.

Some other facts I'd offer for the discussion.

- Guam has nuclear weapons stored on the island, readily known fact.
- Guam has hosted stealth fighters and bombers in the past, probably still has them now.
- China is also forcing a near conflict with India in Bhutan, this would be the first true test of their military since Korea.
- India is also a nuclear power...

Thanks for the on the ground perspectives. Stay safe, Stay strong.

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 02:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
Mr Kim's threat to fire 4 missiles toward Guam is another signal that he's doing this for effect , he's goading the US and sadly Trump and his team are falling for it.
If the situation wasn't so serious the threat would be laughable.

I don't get this. Looking at this as an American, first and foremost, what's the downside to removing this North Korean thorn from our side?

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 02:55 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

what's the downside to removing this North Korean thorn from our side?

I'd counter that by saying what's the up side to killing thousands of innocent Koreans , north and south and destabalising another country.
America will only be allowed to bomb should the worst scenario unfold as China will not permit US boots on the ground , how many problem have been solved by bombing this century ?

If we do not learn from the mistakes of history, we are doomed to repeat them and this could be the biggest mistake of them all.

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 02:59 PM
link   
i hope some kind of diplomatic solution can be reached but historically that doesn't bode well. no one wins if the nukes start flying.

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 03:04 PM
link   
You had better hope for a diplomatic solution,the US coalition lost against rice farmers in Vietnam and goat herders in Afghanistan. North Korea and China both have massive well trained armies and nuclear weapons

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 03:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: khnum
You had better hope for a diplomatic solution,the US coalition lost against rice farmers in Vietnam and goat herders in Afghanistan. North Korea and China both have massive well trained armies and nuclear weapons
LMFAO. No, they don't. Zero combat experience. Your definitely not American.

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 03:07 PM
link   
a reply to: RoScoLaz5

Once upon a time, nukes did fly and we won.

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 03:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: pirhanna
The OP is overreacting to china imo. They have a fairly reasonable position on this, though it doesnt make it easy for us.

Do ya think so?

If you told me you were driving your brother over to my house tonight ... and that your brother was pissed-off and talking murder ... and he was loading up his .45 ...

I'd shoot you both to pieces the moment I saw you pull up in the driveway.

That's not overreacting. It's prudent behavior.

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 03:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Arnie123

what did you win?

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 03:24 PM
link   
a reply to: RoScoLaz5

The war with Japan. We ended it with two nukes.

...oh, our prize? the world. Petro dollar, worlds currency, that kinda prize.
edit on 11-8-2017 by Arnie123 because: heh

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 03:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Snarl
no he would do well to gather real time ntel on location of kim then hit him with a combo of preciscion weapons and bunker busting ordanance up to the nuclea bunker penatrator. no need for any other bukes tactical or strategic once lil kim is gone we can start sending un troops to deliver aid to the peoples not an armed occupation force

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 03:37 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

1. Korea is not stable today, so nothing the US does is going to "destabilize" it.
2. China isn't going to "let" this country do anything, they're not in charge here. They're also not going to go into a war with their #1 export partner and #1 agricultural import source. They will do nothing and like it, and that's just a simple fact. You are falling for their goading, now.
3. No reason to put any boots on the ground. Shell the piss out of them until Kim's remains are produced and move on.
4. Yes, civilians die in wars. That's how you force civilians to stand on their own feet and remove dictators in their own governments whose actions are directly causing the deaths of their civilians. The entire goal of war is hit your enemy until they can no longer emotionally withstand their losses and they break, leading to complete surrender. War fought with any other goal is foolish and pointless.

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 03:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: RoScoLaz5

what did you win?

We won the largest boom period of middle class and international purchasing power of any nation in history. We also won the privilege of being "that guy" that nobody really messed with for fear of instant death (at least until politicians made pansy-ass half efforts in various conflicts, seriously weakening our position).

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 03:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: proteus33
a reply to: Snarl
No, he would do well to gather real time intel on the location of Kim and then hit him with a combo of preciscion weapons and bunker busting ordnance ...

Might work, but there's a lot at risk.

No one knows who is authorized to give the commands for North Korea's conventional artillery units to open fire on the city of Seoul. Back when I was a Soldier stationed there it was estimated that the North Korean artillery could erase one square kilometer of the city every seven seconds until they ran out of ammunition.

I think that just about warrants carpet-bombing everything north of the DMZ to a distance of about 50 miles with the sun-bright glow of thermonuclear wonder.

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 03:43 PM
link   

to be fair America and her allies have not been necessarily fighting wars to "win" lately ,we go in kill percentages of their population smash their infrastructure and then rebuild (although not to ww2 levels) and usually give them a pretty big bill for such things,or sell off their resources to other nations depending on source we have killed 20-30 million "enemies" in combat since ww2 compare that with our losses since 1775-present and we have lost 1,354,664 and has 1,498,240 wounded with 656,000 of those being from the civil war (us killing each other) id say we are doing pretty good at killing our enemies at an astounding ratio compared to our losses. en.wikipedia.org...

www.globalresearch.ca...

the real "damage" we have incured from our wars is monetary in nature but if you look at it in terms of enemies killed vs troops lost we have done pretty damn good over the years ,not that i bet it helps the families of dead us troops much

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 03:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
a reply to: Abysha

Plus if china is gone, where will I get my nikes and computers from?

lol But all joking aside if china falls the poor and middle class of the world
is going to suffer. The rich will be ok but the rest of us get so many cheap
goods from china and from the countries and economies that china holds up,
that it will be very hard on most of humanity and a few countries wont make it.
This will lead to further destabilization of the countries that are taking on the
chinese and other failed state refugees. There is much more at stake here.
We can NEVER fight with china.

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 04:00 PM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep

You're missing the big picture. If we were making those items domestically again, real wages would skyrocket as manufacturing jobs pay more than service jobs do, so America's middle class would experience a revival and would be able to afford Made in the US quality items again.

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 04:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

You're missing the big picture. If we were making those items domestically again, real wages would skyrocket as manufacturing jobs pay more than service jobs do, so America's middle class would experience a revival and would be able to afford Made in the US quality items again.

The big picture is that we are talking about the death of (chinese/korean) humans for this to happen.

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 05:42 PM
link   

I never claimed to be a humanist.

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join