It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The next big thing

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2017 @ 08:48 AM
link   
To pattern anything made of metal you need blueprints. A refinery, a forge, a machine shop and skilled workers. Anyone who understands the basic manufacturing process of producing say, an engine for an automobile knows the tolerance and fit , assembly and installation requires way more than just a 'printer'.

posted on Aug, 12 2017 @ 09:28 AM
link   
the solution to copy rights is simple add a engineering program .
A program that has access to all the stuff that has been put out for the last 100 years .
then desine a new one that doesnt match any in the data base ( after all it what all company's do change one thing and wala no copy rights infringement .
So your V 6 will be your v 6 not just a copy . But think you could have had a V8 lol

posted on Aug, 13 2017 @ 12:02 PM
link   
If you can manufacture automatic firearms with it then no, the general public will never see this.
The military will buy it and hide it in area 51 with everything else that's too good for us peons

On the odd chance the public does get to use this -
Someone needs to design a series of vehicles and bicycles where each part can be easily replaced by the user.
The new Volkswagen plus.
So much potential here.
edit on 13-8-2017 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2017 @ 12:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: kori85
a reply to: dfnj2015

I actually work for GE (General Electric) and we have had that technology at our facility for over 4yrs (additive manufacturing)... its amazing!!
To see lasers turn fine metal powder into a solid object is quite mind blowing.. although it takes about 3 days to manufacture a part the size of a computer mouse. It's detail and intricacy is incomparable to anything in previous methods of metal fabrication.

kinda makes you wonder did humans really invent such a technology?? or were we taught by "something" far more advanced??

[yvid]

posted on Aug, 13 2017 @ 09:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

I could very easily manufacture a fully automatic weapon any time i wanted without any need for a 3d printer (yeah i have a 3d printer too though, well technically several but yeah) using my cnc machines. Really because of tbe way i did my setup it's almost ridiculously simple to design and make a part whether additive or subtractively.

Hell for the stuff where i need heat treat and rockwell hardness up to very specific levels i can just buy a hunk of the correct material of sufficient size and edm it out if i need to! (That machine's just as easy as the others)

Almost all of what i have is open source or directly made from information i got from publications, reports, and etc the us government paid to have produced and freely available to anyone!

I also have a backup completely open source toolchain if they ever lock down the closed source software too hard for it to be useful!

Right now I'm in the process of gathering what i need to build several more tools including a metal printer that the government gave me instructions for totally for free!!!

I suggest you guys go out and get your piece of the free pie before the nanny state locks up some of it, and the fatcats price the rest of the pie out of our reach!

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 09:41 AM
link   
a reply to: stormcell

But do they have a replicator a la Startrek
?

That would be truly awesome.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 10:53 AM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

The next big thing will be to launch one of these type of 3d printers into low Earth orbit and start to colonise and industrialise the place.

That being said without a viable cost effective means of launching Man and materials up there also it will remain a pipe dream.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 10:05 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

That next big thing you're referring to is already on the ISS and being used...

I personally have a design I'm working on specifically for space myself, though mine is intended to work outside habitats in the vacuum and build big stuph © out of bulk materials shipped up... AND SPACE JUNK!

The power system for it is rather ingenious if i do say so myself, and just ever so coincidentally the whole shebang should fold down really nicely and be capable of being boosted in 6 packs or more in a single launch.

Edit: oh and they'd be comparatively really really cheap!
edit on 15-8-2017 by roguetechie because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 10:15 AM
link   
a reply to: roguetechie

They already have 3D printers on the ISS that can print metal!

I did not know that.

One would imagine the power requirements never mind controlling liquid metal in a zero G environment and a CPU/System capable of rendering components would still be an issue up there where tech does not always do what it says on the tin?

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 01:12 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Don't care about metal, unless I can eat it 😊

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 10:59 PM
link   
a reply to: QueenofWeird

Mushroom and other fungus grow rather well in the dark, they eat crap, don't take up much space yet are rather nutritious. Don't know how well they would grow in zero g all the same but they seem like a source of food that could grow well in low earth orbit or even beyond. 😂
edit on 17-8-2017 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 06:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake
a reply to: QueenofWeird

Mushroom and other fungus grow rather well in the dark, they eat crap, don't take up much space yet are rather nutritious. Don't know how well they would grow in zero g all the same but they seem like a source of food that could grow well in low earth orbit or even beyond. 😂

Nah I want a food 3d printer, imagine all the cake I would squeeze out of it... 🙌

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join