It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nepal criminalizes "menstruation huts"

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 05:41 PM
link   

The Nepalese government has made it a criminal act to force women into cowsheds while they’re on their periods.

Yes, you read that right.

The ancient Hindu tradition sends menstruating females into the sheds to keep so-called “impurity” out of the home.

Some Nepalese communities believe they will fall victim to misfortune such as natural disaster if females are not sent into isolation while menstruating.

In addition to sending females into isolation, some communities also ban them from drinking milk and feed them less food while they are on their periods.

Source
Daily reminder that the rest of the world outside America is not some happy-go-lucky progressive utopia. No, there are places in the world where women, to this day, are confined to isolated "menstruation huts" and given little food so as to avoid misfortune and impurity in the home.
Leftists need to take a long, hard look at how good they really have it in their developed, free nations.

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 05:46 PM
link   
a reply to: trollz

What does this have to do with the Left?

Of course we have it pretty good in this country because while we have the right to believe what we want to believe, like nutty religions and superstitions, we have individual rights that keep those nuts at bay.

You should be thanking those that keep civil rights progressing forward.

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Lol, you might be the only person to have suggested that Nepal is viewed as a "utopia". Nobody says that.

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 05:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Abysha

Lol, you might be the only person to have suggested that Nepal is viewed as a "utopia". Nobody says that.

I think you read that wrong.

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 05:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

Of course we have it pretty good in this country because while we have the right to believe what we want to believe, like nutty religions and superstitions, we have individual rights that keep those nuts at bay.

There is a certain "logic" that says western women shouldn't complain about anything because some women have it worse.

It always seemed to me like there was an implied threat in that.

"You'd better shuddup woman. "For ah shows you what 'pression really is!"

link   

originally posted by: AgarthaSeed

originally posted by: Abysha

I think you read that wrong.

Nope. He suggested that liberals look at the "rest of the world" as a utopia and then went on to give an example of a nation that Americans should be thankful for not being a part of. As if the entire leftist view hinges on following the examples of nations like Nepal.

link   
Greetings-

To quote someone way smarter than Me: "Uh...."

Stay Hydrated...

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 05:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: redhorse

There is a certain "logic" that says western women shouldn't complain about anything because some women have it worse.

EXACTLY! Nailed it.

They want you to start punching down so you'll stop punching up.

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 05:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: redhorse

Well said.

Could you imagine where we would be as a country, in the US, if it weren't for individual liberties and we allowed the religious/superstitious to dictate what women did with their bodies?

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 05:58 PM
link   

The rightists, ie Fundies, need to take a look at the Middle East and count their lucky stars that they are not as persecuted.

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 06:06 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 06:08 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 06:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien

The rightists, ie Fundies, need to take a look at the Middle East and count their lucky stars that they are not as persecuted.

Some of these Fundies need to take a look at themselves.

Look into Quiverfull:

...but birthing and caring for kids is the highest achievement a woman could or should aspire to. Even little girls aren't really encouraged to dream much beyond that goal.

Link

Which is what those reality TV Duggard loonies buy into:

Those 13 children, born during Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar's 17 years of marriage, are family values personified

From Quiverfull Site

edit on 10-8-2017 by redhorse because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Report an uplifting story ONLY in order to take a shot at the Left. Stay classy.

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Leftists need to take a long, hard look at how good they really have it in their developed, free nations.

WTF? Are you implying it's the conservatives here that are pushing for women's reproductive rights, women's equality, equal pay for women, etc? Women gained the right to vote and many of their other legal rights/privileges in spite of the right wing's actions.

But you're acting like we should settle for the few gains we've made simply because some places haven't made those gains yet? That doesn't even make sense.
edit on 10-8-2017 by enlightenedservant because: typo

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 06:26 PM
link   
This is kind of a good thing but then again kind of not. Its their traditions after all and I'm guessing that this new law is going to be very difficult to police. There will be some women who insist its their right to follow these traditions just like some Muslim women insist on wearing the burka even when they dont' have to by law. Its a strange world

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 06:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: enlightenedservant

WTF? Are you implying it's the conservatives here that are pushing for women's reproductive rights, women's equality, equal pay for women, etc? Woman gained the right to vote and many of their other legal rights/privileges in spite of the right wing's actions.

But you're acting like we should settle for the few gains we've made simply because some places haven't made those gains yet? That doesn't even make sense.

"Shut up, little Timmy, the neighbor's kid gets beat with a belt and and a switch".

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 06:28 PM
link   
guy named 'trollz' makes troll post and reaps a small harvest. not bad for a lazy troll like that....

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 06:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: fiverx313
guy named 'trollz' makes troll post and reaps a small harvest. not bad for a lazy troll like that....

I think he actually believes it based on his history. Even if he doesn't some people, especially here on ATS, actually believe it.

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 06:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Abysha

I know, right? We still have people on the right that don't want women here to use birth control pills. I used to think birth control pills were strictly to stop a woman from getting pregnant, but then I asked some ladies about it (gasp, how dare I ask women about women's issues!). They said birth control pills can also do other things like reduce the pain and length of the menstruation cycle.

So it's even more astounding to me that the OP chose menstruation to make their point when many on the right are indirectly hurting the women right here by denying them birth control pills.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join