It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vegetarians Are Nearly Twice As Likely To Be Depressed As Meat-Eaters, Study Finds

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 04:36 PM
link   
I wonder if this is based on the same research:

thetab.com...

Per this, it isn't just mental health that takes a dive for the vegetarians/vegans, but also physical health as well:

A study from the University of Graz says that contrary to popular opinion, vegetarian and vegan diets don’t make people healthier. In fact it found that vegetarians are ill more often, more susceptible to physical and mental disorders and generally have a lower quality of life than people who eat meat. They’re more at risk of cancer, have more heart attacks and are more likely to suffer from psychological disorders.

Vegetarians, the study found, were more than twice as likely to have allergies as meat-eaters, they were three per cent more likely to contract cancer, and a massive 150 per cent more likely to have a heart attack. Vegetarians were also hit harder by 14 of the 18 illnesses monitored in the study – which included diabetes, migraines, and osteoporosis.

There are a lot more articles out there with different methods of research that show the same results.

But I guess you can find anything on the internet to support your personal beliefs. If these research pieces hold truth on the effect of vegetarian/vegan diets, it answers a lot of questions.

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Its funny when I go to long without eating red meat, I do get depressed. I do not always recognize it right away, but as soon as I eat a nice medium rare steak I break free of the funk I was in.

I have tried cutting down on my red meat intake for health reasons and using supplements, its just not the same for me I always end up in a funk.

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Some of this might relate to tryptophan, which itself is related to serotonin.

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 04:41 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryDon79

to all vegetarian depressives you are deaf and blind to what animals are saying

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 04:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: 0racle
a reply to: TheLead

you do realise that if we became a vegan species we would have more than enough food and land because grains to feed animals and land to keep animals is

So we're not gonna have fences and the animals are just gonna leave the crops alone, we have our land they have theirs. A mutual understanding. Just wondering what number of animals of each that we decide to allow existence to? You do realize this will need to be considered now right? I would assume you've seen "humanity" in action.

Really I have no problem with people that choose to be veagan, I just despise the ones that push it (not saying that's you, just sayin')

Edit* Australia

edit on 10-8-2017 by TheLead because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 04:44 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Well, fella say, "Ignorance is bliss."

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Quack quack, cluck cluck, moo, oink and baa mainly.

To me that translates to "Eat us. We're tasty."
edit on 1082017 by TerryDon79 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Damn....

After reading the OP I'm craving meat!

Bacon!

Smoked pork!

Smoked sausages!

More bacon!

Pepperoni pizza!

Homemade salami!

MORE BACON!

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 04:54 PM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

I think you forgot the bacon.

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 04:58 PM
link   

You notice where this is published? Places like Dailymail?
From the actual study looks like everyone needs more fast food.

we found reduced rates of fast food consumption in individuals suffering from depressive disorders (1-month, 12-month as well as life-time prevalence rates). Moreover, people with a lifetime diagnosis of an anxiety disorder or somatoform disorder and syndrome also showed lower consumption of fast food.

ijbnpa.biomedcentral.com...

May I suggest you read up (Not Daily Mail)
The Association Between Major Mental Disorders and Geniuses
www.psychiatrictimes.com...

There exists an association between creativity and major mental disorders known since antiquity. The ancient Greeks considered both as “having been touched by the gods.” Aristoteles, in his perspicacity, stated, “There is no genius without having a touch of madness.” This phenomenon has been verified repeatedly in studies in the past.

edit on 10-8-2017 by SeaWorthy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 05:00 PM
link   

But that is defeat... Like Sun Tzu says in the Art of War... The good fighters of old first put themselves beyond the possibility of defeat
a reply to: 0racle

Ok

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 05:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien

originally posted by: seasonal

Oh, the depression could have nothing to do with diet though... The decision to go vegetarian could have been made because of depression. What? But the researchers did not rule out the possibility that the vegetarians’ decisions to adopt their diet could have been a symptom of depression from the start.

Only if they drink pepsi.

Bs ALERT WARNING WARNING Bs ALERT...

They didn't rule out the possibility that the reason to not eat slaughtered animals was because of depression...

But they did rule out the possability that vegetarians have a more evolved sense of empathy for the feelings of other sentient beings, and are by nature more likely to struggle with emotions given the levels of suffering there is in this world.

Vegetarians having a more evolved sense of empathy not eating meat?

Like pro-lifers have one too?

Are you saying that pro-choice people are more happy because they eat babies?

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 05:09 PM
link   

I have nothing to say to militant vegans, nor do I care to hear their rambling horsecrap, so... that arrangement works with me.

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Hi, vegetarian here. Allow me to correct the record on Vitamin B12.

Vitamin B12 is produced by bacteria and it is also found in animal products like milk & eggs. This obviously includes their derivatives like ice cream, cheese, yogurt, etc. Just remember that vegans don't eat animal derived products, but vegetarians do.

It's also found in multivitamins, which we vegetarians tend to use. It's also found in extremely high dosage "B-Complex" vitamins, which many of us have used because Vitamin B12 deficiency is one of the things we 1st hear about when deciding to become vegetarian. I stopped taking those potent vitamins because they made my skin itch (each pill had approximately 33 days worth of B12 in it. yeah...).

Also, a lot of corporate-made vegetarian and/or vegan-approved meals have been fortified with Vitamin B12. For example, my chocolate soy milk and dark chocolate almond milk have 50% of the RDA for Vitamin B12 per 8 ounce serving (click on the "nutritional facts" area). Even non-vegetarian/vegan approved foods can be fortified with Vitamin B12, like cereals. Even me & my nephew's favorite SOBE drink, the strawberry daiquiri flavored one, is fortified with Vitamin B12.

So if we assume this study is correct, then I highly doubt the depression is because of Vitamin B12.
edit on 10-8-2017 by enlightenedservant because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 05:25 PM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

All vegetarians but the ones in the study I suppose.

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 05:26 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Meh. Bacon is *sacrilege warning* overrated.

Now a good roast pig at a luau is manna from heaven. Or BBQ ribs, in Texas--or anywhere, for that matter.

It's easy to see why vegetarians would be depressed...

A good venison stew, or reindeer sausage on a pizza with anchovies and mushrooms. Why, the list is endless as to why they'd be depressed...

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 05:28 PM
link   
I can see none are really interested in the study or even the facts just having a good time with this, but it is pretty interesting.

The US is listed as one of the highest countries for depression and yet is one of the lowest in numbers of vegetarians.
United States 3.3% vegetarian/vegan

About one in five adults in the U.S. experiences some form of mental illness each year, according to the National Alliance on Mental Illness

www.usnews.com...
India is very low in depression, the higher income countries are often more depressed.

Countries with the highest numbers of vegan/vegetarian 2010
India 29% - 40%
Israel 13%
Australia 11%
New Zealand 10.3%
Sweden 10%
en.wikipedia.org...
www.empowher.com...
edit on 10-8-2017 by SeaWorthy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 05:28 PM
link   

But the researchers did not rule out the possibility that the vegetarians’ decisions to adopt their diet could have been a symptom of depression from the start.

Isn't this included in your own OP? So even they haven't concluded that it's because of Vitamin B12. And like SeaWorthy pointed out above, there also seems to be a correlation with fast food consumption.

a reply to: SeaWorthy

LOL I just referenced you and you dropped another truth bomb while I was typing.
edit on 10-8-2017 by enlightenedservant because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 05:29 PM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

Life is complicated and seldom is the answer as easy as saying this or that.

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 05:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: SeaWorthy
The US is listed as one of the highest countries for depression and yet is one of the lowest in numbers of vegetarians.
United States 3.3% vegetarian/vegan

India is very low in depression, the higher income countries are often more depressed.

I don't think you can take anything from that to be honest. The study is only about one possible cause, not all of them. It's a very narrow study. Both could be true at the same time unless you rule out all other causes of depression.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join