It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Republicans would support postponing the 2020 election if Trump proposed it

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Postpone the 2020 election?

"In a new poll, half of Republicans say they would support postponing the 2020 election if Trump proposed it"

I know, I know...ANOTHER poll. This one is interesting because it isn't measuring "who likes who". RATHER, it's a substance/policy-type poll. For starters lets see the methodology:

The survey interviewed a sample of 1,325 Americans from June 5 through 20. Respondents were recruited from the Qualtrics online panel who had previously reported identifying with or leaning toward one of the two major parties. We focus on the 650 respondents who identify with or lean toward the Republican Party. The sample has been weighted to match the population in terms of sex, age, race and education.

So, half of the respondents were "Republican" or "lean Republican". A preliminary set of questions came FIRST:

After a series of initial questions, respondents were asked whether Trump won the popular vote, whether millions of illegal immigrants voted, and how often voter fraud occurs. These questions evoke arguments frequently made by Trump and others about the integrity of the 2016 election.

Now to the meat of this poll:

Then the survey asked two questions about postponing the 2020 election.

If Donald Trump were to say that the 2020 presidential election should be postponed until the country can make sure that only eligible American citizens can vote, would you support or oppose postponing the election?

What if both Donald Trump and Republicans in Congress were to say that the 2020 presidential election should be postponed until the country can make sure that only eligible American citizens can vote? Would you support or oppose postponing the election?

Roughly half of Republicans believe Trump won the popular vote — and would support postponing the 2020 election.

Based on what I've SEEN here on ATS, that really isn't that surprising. It certainly SEEMS to fit with what I've personally witnessed in numerous discussions.

The findings seem to match and corroborate other polls...

Nearly half of Republicans (47 percent) believe that Trump won the popular vote, which is similar to this finding. Larger fractions believe that millions of illegal immigrants voted (68 percent) and that voter fraud happens somewhat or very often (73 percent). Again, this is similar to previous polls.

What I think is eye-opening is the following finding:

Moreover, 52 percent said that they would support postponing the 2020 election, and 56 percent said they would do so if both Trump and Republicans in Congress were behind this.

I can remember seeing TONS and TONS of Facebook/Twitter posts about Obama not stepping down. And there was even topics on ATS during the "Jade Helm" deal in TX that prompted many to ALSO worry about that.

It bothered Republicans and Conservatives when Obama was president that he wouldn't leave office.

But when it is their own party leader? It seems Republicans are a bit....more agreeable?

At a minimum, they show that a substantial number of Republicans are amenable to violations of democratic norms that are more flagrant than what is typically proposed (or studied). And although the ensuing chaos could turn more Republicans against this kind of proposal, it is also conceivable that a high-stakes and polarized debate would do the exact opposite.

Link

How about YOU? How would ATS have responded to this poll? What are your thoughts about a suspension of the 2020 election, given the same questions that poll asked?

This seems like a perfect thread for the Mud Pit, as partisanship on this issue is no doubt HIGH!!

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Can't wait to see the same people who yelled about Emperor Obama not giving up the presidency try to defend this somehow.

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 12:29 PM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

They were probably already polled.

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 12:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks
Can't wait to see the same people who yelled about Emperor Obama not giving up the presidency try to defend this somehow.

Thats kinda what **I** wondered about.

I think they would argue "illegals" are WORSE than foreign election tampering.

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 12:30 PM
link   
This would have 1200 flags if a poll came out that said dems would support Obama delaying the 2016 election. WE faced Trump for effs sake, and I can promise there was never a poll that showed half of dems supported postponing anything.

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 12:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: bknapple32
This would have 1200 flags if a poll came out that said dems would support Obama delaying the 2016 election. WE faced Trump for effs sake, and I can promise there was never a poll that showed half of dems supported postponing anything.

GOOD POINT...

However, to be "fair" I don't know if any such poll was done?

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Aren't the two situations opposite?

Obama staying through fraud. Trump staying to eliminate fraud?

In any case, it is what it is. Try to fix it before 2020 if it's a problem.

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Unless it is a time of war and for real reason I would not support any potus in that regard. If the last potus did that I would be very VERY mad.a reply to: DanteGaland

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 12:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: DanteGaland

Thats kinda what **I** wondered about.

I think they would argue "illegals" are WORSE than foreign election tampering.

I'm sure that's the reasoning they'll use. It'd be naive to think this would be about anything other than Trump staying in power, power is the only thing he loves more than money.

Let's just hope Trump doesn't get this idea.

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 12:35 PM
link   
I would venture to guess if Trump saw this poll, he'd include this in strategy. Start hinting at it in tweets and rallies. If he gets the support that this poll indicates.... I wouldn't put it past him.

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Your statement is an assumption and therefor should not be used. Maybe refine it to be more substantial to the OP? a reply to: ItsNotIronic

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 12:36 PM
link   
You guys, it's only bad if the *Dems* do it.

Don't you know anything?

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I saw a video of people signing a petition to outlaw petitions.

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 12:47 PM
link   
the only way I'd support postponing an election if there was so much choas that it would be too dangerous for the politicians to campaign or the voter to go to the polls....
marial law in other words!!

dead people on the voter rolls just doesn't merit such a move.

(post by Mandroid7 removed for a manners violation)

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 12:51 PM
link   
since this is just a feel good thread for the left, enjoy your poll. BTW, the latest poll taken among right leaning ATS posters states that the left is a bunch of cry babies. Like 97% agreed.

Have a tissue.

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 12:58 PM
link   
polls are a joke. i am still amazed ATS has so many repubs or dems. i figured because its an enlightenment website, most of us would be libertarian or anarchists.

there is ZERO difference between a repub or dem. both want war, taxes, and indentured servitude to the internati0nal bankers.

libertarian-anarachists want peace, no taxes, and individual liberty. how can anyone be otherwise? i want liberty and peace for EVERYONE.

dems and repubs want freedom and peace for their chosen.

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Or about he was not even a natural citizen, that was rich, even trump said it during his campaign. That was untrue! Yet many trump supporters still believe that garbage. Not here on ATS, because we know that was untrue, but IRL.

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 01:01 PM
link   
a reply to: DanteGaland

87% of people polled, say that I should have never released my own sex tape.

Everyone lies dammit, everyone LIES!

If you think this is true, now is the time to revolt! Go storm the gates.

I'll hold your beer.

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 01:02 PM
link   
a reply to: DanteGaland

Frankly, I think this is utterly ridiculous. A "Washington Post" poll? And reported results by two leftist authors? Don't believe me? Check out the curriculum vitae of Ariel Malka:
malkaresearch.com...

Lets look at her history. malkaresearch.files.wordpress.com...

Education: Ph.D. (2004 ) Psychology. University of California, Berkeley. M.A. (2000) Psychology. University of California, Berkeley. B.A. (1998) Psychology. Summa cum laude. University of Rochester.

UC, Berkeley. Pretty much says it all.

Then there's Yphtach Lelkes, of the Annenberg School for Communications. Annenberg, i.e., the major contributors to NPR and Public TV. About as leftist as you can get.

My conclusion? The poll was utterly bogus. The questions were framed in such a manner as to garner the desired results rather than to actually find out a truth. Then it was published in WaPo, an outlet that's obviously quite leftist and determined to do anything necessary to undermine Trump and his Republican Party friends.

Its entirely bogus and if you fall for it, you've been played.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join