It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mispronunciation of words

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 10:12 AM
link   
So, yeah.... I'm on a bit of a roll this morning.

Just saw a commercial on TV that was pro-porting to get Joe Average's take on a fast food chains hamburgers.

The word eaten is not pronounced "E" - "TIN".

It is pronounced (according to myself and dictionary.com) as [eet-n]. To me, I would have said "E" - "TEN", but still they are ridiculously close.

Of a similar notion is the word kitten. Even has the same final syllable.

It is not pronounced as "KIT" - "TIN". It is pronounced as "KIT - "TEN".

"Act" is not pronounced "Axe".

GOOD FREAKING GOD... [facepalm]

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 10:17 AM
link   
a reply to: FHomerK

A young man was giving my son a haircut on Saturday. He came over to me and said "Your son said that I should AXE you how close to cut it on the sides."
I answered his question, then I ASKED my daughter... " Did he just say AXE?"

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Sorry bout the hard time u havin with pronouncing of words.

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 10:23 AM
link   

The differences in annunciation are called dialect.

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 10:24 AM
link   

I get more pissy about the content of tv and radio commercials than the vernacular.
But I totally get your frustration. Watch sports and listen to the annalists.
Mispronounciation of words,
Skipping words in sentences,
Just plain lowering the bar.

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 10:27 AM
link   

I just came here from "The Daily Mail."

Anybody else see these to stories there, one about a so-called "chupracobra" in Virginia that resembles a Tasmanian Devil and the other from someplace in Australia that had a mysterious creature slowly slipping down into a muddy pool?

I know that ain't much, but consider the current fare on ATS....

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Being in the upper midwest (ever seen Fargo?), I've been given some crap about my pronunciations. One example comes to mind; the word "measure". I pronounce it MAY-ZURE, but people tell me it should be MEH-ZURE.

As for eating...I think that's just the speed of speech. If you say it fast you get EET-IN; say it slower and you get EET-EN.

It's incorrect spelling that really gets on my nerves though. And improper phrase usage. Yes, I'm one of those "nazis".
edit on 8/10/2017 by Admitted because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 10:32 AM
link   

All part of tptb dumbing down plan.

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Personally , I really hate the commercial for triscuits, with the SNL actress Cecile strong , combining pomegranate , tiscuits and pistachios....."yo-pome-stachio-scuit". ...... I know it a run off from her character on SNL....but for some reason I just cringe when that is on .

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 10:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

A young man was giving my son a haircut on Saturday. He came over to me and said "Your son said that I should AXE you how close to cut it on the sides."

AXE me no questions, I'll tell you no lies!

Yea, so much for being educated.

BTW, someone will come a long soon and call you a racist.

edit on 10-8-2017 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 10:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

The differences in annunciation are called dialect.

Wasn't that pretty much the same mentality behind the proposal that california schools should accept ebonics?

Sorry, there is a correct way, and there are incorrect ways.

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 10:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Admitted
Being in the upper midwest (ever seen Fargo?), I've been given some crap about my pronunciations. One example comes to mind; the word "measure". I pronounce it MAY-ZURE, but people tell me it should be MEH-ZURE.

As for eating...I think that's just the speed of speech. If you say it fast you get EET-IN; say it slower and you get EET-EN.

It's incorrect spelling that really gets on my nerves though. And improper phrase usage. Yes, I'm one of those "nazis".

I am one of those "nazis" too. However, there is no "ay" in the word measure. Dialects, accents, or none of the above this still annoys the living crap out of me.

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 10:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

originally posted by: butcherguy

AXE me no questions, I'll tell you no lies!

Yea, so much for being educated.

BTW, someone will come a long soon and call you a racist.

I think back to my childhood when I had to take speech therapy classes for a year in first grade because I did not pronounce the word 'birthday' correctly.

Now you can be a college graduate without being able to pronounce the word 'ask'.

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 10:44 AM
link   
I hate it when people say "MACDonalds" but I live in the south and here it all the time. Also when they say "Husky varna" instead of Husqvarna.

My boss calls strobe lights "scrobe" lights. I have an uncle that says "spongy cord" instead of bungee cord.

I live on the Outer Banks of NC, and tourists mispronounced local town names like they say Manteo as Man-TAY-o instead of Man-TEE-o, Bodie Island they call Boe-dee instead of like "Body", and Corolla isn't pronounced like the Toyota car, it's Cor-RAHL-uh.

Those are just some of my mispronunciation related pet peeves.

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 10:45 AM
link   
... its just how people learn to talk ... u cant blame someone for growing up around people who probly know no better themselves

Minor flaws make individuals... expeshaly in speatch ... would you want to live in a world where everyone spoke exactaly the same

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 10:47 AM
link   
I know what you mean.

By the way, what the hell does "pro-porting" mean?

Do you mean purporting, as in claiming or intending or professing?

Yeah, that kind of stuff bugs me too.

Glass houses and stones, dude.

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 10:49 AM
link   

nuclear...NUKE-lee-ur, not NUKE-YOU-Lar

Drives me insane.
edit on 10-8-2017 by kelbtalfenek because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 10:50 AM
link   
For a while I couldn't figure out why, still don't know, but I couldn't say Documentary correctly anymore. Every time I tried to say it, it came out

"DOCUMEN-Terri"

instead of

"däkyəˈment(ə)rē"

Then one day I could say it correctly the first time again. It was so weird.

-Alee

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 10:53 AM
link   

The word eaten is not pronounced "E" - "TIN". It is pronounced (according to myself and dictionary.com) as [eet-n]. To me, I would have said "E" - "TEN", but still they are ridiculously close.

I don't see the difference
you have E and T sound and N sound in each both would sound the same when spoken. You know a lot of it has to do with peoples hearing, we don't all see the same colors or hear the same sounds.

All I can say is if in your life this is your biggest focus and problem things must be purtty dern good.
edit on 10-8-2017 by SeaWorthy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Guess "the rain in Spain falls mainly on the plain" is no longer germane on American terrain.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join