It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Good camera and equipment for ufo hunting?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 07:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aliensun
a reply to: intrptr

Simply amazing how you can do that. Snap your fingers, or have an impulsive thought and problem solved. No UFOs there or anywhere. And if you DO want to see one, simply look around the sky and you will find something that will pass as one.

Any arrogance that I display about UFOs comes from being an abductee in 1964 and witnessing a low-level, slow and noiseless triangle in 1998. What are your qualifications for being a debunker when the cardinal rule is that you can't prove a negative?

You've been around long enough to be familiar with my 'qualifications'. I addressed that one video, so not sorry if my opinion about it offends you.

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 07:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cauliflower
With a long lens camera you can actually stabilize the picture by keeping your arms in close and not fiddling with the lens. You just point the narrow focus beam on the "plane" you want in focus and hold the shutter button halfway till it beeps turn at the waist to reframe the shot and and take the picture.
You make it sound easy but it's not, it's hard, and the less light you have the harder it is to do. First, a standard lens can let in a lot of light, like F1.2 for example. Most telephoto lenses only let in a fraction of that much light and the more powerful the lens the less light they admit as a general rule which means longer exposure times and more chance for motion blur, though you can find exceptions if the lens has an extremely large objective. For the mega lenses with large objective and good resolution you can spend many times nitro67's budget on just one lens and with such a good lens there's simply no way to do what you suggest. Here's a lens I'd like to have, but it's $120,000 and even with the large objective it's still only f5.6 which again admits only a small fraction of the light of a standard lens leading to longer exposure times.

www.thephoblographer.com...

Canon 1200mm f5.6: $120,000

According to that source, the CIA uses that lens.

Here's a shot with it mounted on a tripod, where hopefully you'll be convinced you can't use it without a tripod:
www.bhphotovideo.com...

You might be thinking of a lens like the one on the right but most people are still going to get better results using a tripod even with that lens, but it probably doesn't have the ability to make many UFOs identifiable.

One problem with using such a good lens as the one on the left for UFO photography is you'd get such a good shot of the object (if using a tripod) that you might actually be able to identify the object so it won't be a UFO any more. So actually one secret to taking UFO pictures is to have a crappy lens and camera so you CAN'T ID the object.

By the way I've used really long telephoto lenses and even on a tripod, just the force of pushing down the shutter button is enough to cause motion blur in the image, so you need a remote trigger for the shutter to avoid that problem.

There are more economical alternatives with very high magnification but the quality isn't as good, nor is the light gathering capability. Here's one that zooms up to 1300mm which is excellent for magnifying very distant objects, but it lets in even less light than the f5.6 because it's only f8. It's about 3 feet long and weighs over 4 pounds so I just don't think you'd take good shots with such an unwieldy lens without using a tripod.

www.amazon.com...=psdc_173565_t2_B00KMEPHF2

I haven't tried that lens so I can't personally recommend it but obviously you're not going to get the same quality photos as with the $120,000 Canon lens. Still, this lens or one like it might be worth considering for people on a budget who want really good telephoto capability, and can live with less quality than the top tier lenses provide.

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 07:50 PM
link   
I recommend IR and building it yourself as Lou Baldin does here.

UFO Lou - ''HOW I BUILT MY NIGHT VISION ******CHEAP!*******

Before I go this far, will be getting help with mounting my full spectrum camcorder on my telescope, but its not a great one. However then would play around with a light and if that doesn't do the same thing will try that.

But where we're living now, never feel the right energy for these things. Actually a little spooked outside at night for the past couple years in a kind of draco area.

A little background on the guy: www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 10-8-2017 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 08:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: samkent
a reply to: nitro67

I would like to get some opinions about what camera and equipment would be good for ufo hunting.

Dumb reason to buy an expensive camera.

Hey man, everyone's gotta have a hobby. I don't believe in the E.T. UFO hypothesis either, but it's fun to get outside and view the night sky. Anything that gets a person outside enjoying the outdoors. Plus, astrophotography could be another offshoot of this that is also really fun, AND based on things we all agree exist.

edit on 10-8-2017 by Dudemo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 08:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Arbitrageur

These days even a sub $500 camera can give you 4000 mm shots hand held at 1/1000, ISO100, F6.5.

photographylife.com...

Of course those are tiny sensors with artifacts, but you can be creative with the artifacts like Jimi Hendrix playing the feedback from his humbuckers....

There are probably cameras you could use for satellite identification but you would have to use them in the desert at high altitude where there is practically no humidity. Those you would need some kind of tripod mounted directional aid with a synchronized timer and some CIA supplied orbital data.
edit on 10-8-2017 by Cauliflower because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 09:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cauliflower

These days even a sub $500 camera can give you 4000 mm shots hand held at 1/1000, ISO100, F6.5.
It's really 2000 mm, the rest is digital but still that's not bad for the price.

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 04:58 AM
link   

For the older penny pinching pensioner its worth considering.
Your kit could all fit in an empty Folgers coffee can that can be bungeed to a bike rack.
You can ride boldly ride for a month on $5 and not worry about getting busted for your recreational drug use!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join