It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No Longer In a Desired Demographic

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 03:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

We should start an over 50 club.

Under 20 years till I can join.

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 08:50 AM
link   
I've felt this way since i was about 20.

Once you put on your "they live" glasses there is no going back.

The whole world is designed to keep the public as ignorant as possible. You are seeing through this.

It is very frustrating for me. I have to constantly remind myself that my purpose is to bring these idiots out of there coma and into reality.

edit on 10-8-2017 by booyakasha because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 09:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

You're not supposed to care about substance, truth, or quality anymore.

Just feel good.

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 09:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: booyakasha

I've felt this way since i was about 20.

Once you put on your "they live" glasses there is no going back.

The whole world is designed to keep the public as ignorant as possible. You are seeing through this.

It is very frustrating for me. I have to constantly remind myself that my purpose is to bring these idiots out of there coma and into reality.

I was born with "they live" lenses for corneas and always preferred the company of older people over my peers. Guess that is what happens when you are born wide awake craving light. The way I look at it you are only as old as you feel. You couldn't pay me to be young in this screwed up dystopian world.

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 10:43 AM
link   
President Trump endorsed an immigration plan that penalizes old people as well. It is nearly impossible to get the required 30 points, but being old makes it even harder as you get the most points for being 26-30 years old (10 points). Every 5 years over 30 gives 2 fewer points.
edit on 10amThu, 10 Aug 2017 10:46:03 -0500kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 10:51 AM
link   
a reply to: AlephOne
"You are only as old as you feel."

I used to believe that until I started finding joy is just being able to get out of bed.

There are only a couple of things that make me think about my age; when I look closely in the mirror, which I don't uselessly have time to do, and when I do something simple, and I find it difficult or too painful.

I am used to the aches and pains that come with just living. I actually use them as as reminders for self reflection and conversation time with my God and nature. I may have slowed down a bit, but after spending three months bed-bound, I decided I was not going to go down that way. I want to go down standing, with my boots on. So I endure by embracing the pain which tries to knock me down.

I like the old adage "Age is but a number", much more.

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 10:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Night Star
We should start an over 50 club. Yes, getting old sucks, but...

So true about never being this age before..

Joking around with my 20 something daughters, and asking them don't you think I've matured well since they were kids. LOL both of them said I've regressed LOL.

It is just a state of mind most times, lol till I had to buy some reading glasses for the first time.

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 11:25 AM
link   
I actually kind of feel the opposite.

I'm healthier now than I was 20 years ago. I lost my mom and yeah it was horrible but I'm thankful that I had such a wonderful mother in the first place, many people don't. Physically I can do anything... that's my mind set.

I don't mind the silly superhero and special effects movies. It's nice to spend an hour or so in a fantasy and seeing unimaginable and unrealistic things happen before your eyes. And I feel like a good scare or a good gross-out is good for the soul! Call me crazy. I love commercials... gives me a chance to go to the bathroom or grab a snack. I've run fun challenges where you have to do 20 pushups or 20 squats every time there's a commercial. Plus some of them are so funny! I'm not stupid... seeing a bunch of people having fun on a road trip isn't going to make me buy a certain car. I like what I like and that's it. Plus sometimes you actually see a commercial for a useful product or a new product that you otherwise wouldn't know existed. Music... hmmmm... I'm not sure what channel you're listening too but there's a ton of great music by great artists out there right now that are not about humping, pimping or making money without working. Maybe you need to explore the dial a bit
Everything and everyone has always had an agenda, it's just that now with social media and access to communications channels that we didn't have before it just seems like they're all in your face. a simple solution to that is just don't get sucked into anyone's drama. What is your agenda for posting this? What's your agenda for going to work every day? I guess I'm lucky because I work in a city where people sit all over the park on a nice day reading books, having picnics, playing with their dogs, spending time with family and friends. Sure, the phone's are there but who cares? Maybe someone is glued to their phone or to FB for a reason... don't judge until you know. When my mother was dying there were important family members who I only had time to text... anyone looking at me without knowing the back story might think I was being rude, but that wasn't the case at all. Don't get old and grumpy...
there's always a good side or a positive side to everything!

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

I get out of bed just fine every morning. Jog 6 to 7 miles every day. My lifestyle hasn't changed much since the days of my youth except for running the streets, bar hopping, spontaneous road trips and flights, excessive partying, etc, etc... you know all those foolish time wasting activities. I still enjoy my selective 'sandbox' company. That is the company of people I grew up with in grade school(K-12). Tight social circle from my youthful days. Haven't lost many friends to life's inevitabilities. So I feel very blessed in that regard. Still get carded when purchasing alcohol which is another blessing due to good genes. No meds past herbal tea for me. Stay about -stress free as possible by avoiding toxic people.

Today's Big Pharma meds tend to add to one's body more problematic free radicals than there are in Washington, D.C.

Entropy is upon us all.

I just tend to forget its name while keeping it moving in life.

edit on 10-8-2017 by AlephOne because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: AlephOne

My lifestyle hasn't changed much since the days of my youth

Luck seems to have a lot to do with it many times. Change comes suddenly usually. One day all is well the next you have a hard time walking ten feet. Enjoy while you can.

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 01:19 PM
link   

like the one where saving money ... that thing we were all taught to do ... is now a pseudo crime called Hoarding Money!

That's happened in the UK. They raided private sector pension schemes. The shareholders wanted to "skim off the pension fund surpluses", so the management got the actuaries to say "oh, we've got more than plenty of money. Everyone is living less than we expected". Then the government said that "in the interest of wealth redistribution" we are removing income tax relief from pensions. So everyone cashed in their final salary pensions, grabbed the money and invested in property (mainly anything bought before the 1990's, when the raids began). Now there's a housing shortage because no-one wants to downsize from their Victorian townhouses.

Since 2012 i physically cannot watch TV,in fact for that whole year i never entered my lounge.Something happened to me around end 2011 idk what but whatever it was affected me profoundly and permanently

TV was becoming bad in 2000, across the USA, Canada and UK due to reality TV. There were some good programs back then: Discovery 2000 etc... But the internet and Youtube outpaced them. It takes 6 months to make a 1 hour documentary. By the time you have decided a documentary should be made, someone else has already made a Youtube video.

Music went downhill as the demographics of the USA changed. Africa-Americans and Mexicans became wealthier and could afford cable TV.

I gave up on cable TV after VirginMedia and Sky went to war over licensing back in 2004. For me, the worst bit was that it wasn't possible to watch the new Battlestar Galactica sci-fi series. So I canceled my £40/month cable subscription and watched bootleg copies of Lexx and Battlestar Galactica instead. Used to love watching sci-fi series, but they all became gothic vampires and werewolf stories. The only reason I sit in front of the smart TV now is to watch the news and
funny cat videos and foreign pop groups like Rammstein or Dischinghas Khan on Youtube.

Technology? The Smart-phone is now replacing the digital camera. I went to an antique shop, and between the varnished wood cabinets, the 1800's wedding dresses, expensive Ming vases and cut glass, biscuit tins and ivory cutlery sets, was a 1980's camcorder. An antique because it's not possible to buy video cassettes any more.

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I discovered early on that your mental attitude can make you physically sick.

Negative, angry, hateful emotions manifest themselves physically.

archive.org...

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 01:38 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

You discovered early on what the Chinese have been teaching for thousands of years. Good for you. Balancing Chi is extremely important for good physical health. Keeping one's social circle sanitized is in the same realm. -Stress prematurely ages our body via stress hormones.

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 02:06 PM
link   
a reply to: SeaWorthy

No luck. All genetic. Both sides of my family have longevity, physical strength, good health, mental acuity, excellent bones, skin, hair and teeth working for them. Been enjoying my fortunate life all my life.

How about you?

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 03:21 PM
link   
We're in the same boat on our way to the promised land...personally, I'm grateful that I was a teen in the 60s when everything was possible, music was incredible, protesters didn't get paid and we still had a few good journalists in America....

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 04:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

1) I can't find a decent movie to go see.

Hell or High Water

It is good...

2) Commercials are obviously not trying to get my dollars (not that they would anyway).

Count your blessings and hit mute or FF.

3) Why is all the new music about humping each other, expletives and making money with out working? Seriously? Music used to make you feel something without appealing to our most basic instincts.

Be honest...Music was always about humping and easy money..

It is just set to a different beat...I don't like it either.

4) Everything has a damn agenda. I know things 20 years ago sometimes had agendas, but now EVERYTHING has some agenda or is trying to exclude or include something, someone or an ideology.

That might be one part your perspective as you get older. We see more (or maybe differently) than the young.

5) People that think their life will end if they miss a Facebook update or a Tweet by some suck job celebrity. I mean, society acts like sitting under a tree reading a book is a BAD thing somehow?

You got me there...I just don't mess with it. I have Twitter and FB, but only check once a month when someone gives me crap for not seeing their baby picture or so and so. My kids actually think I am old fashioned for ONLY having FB...they talk snapchat, instagram and a bunch of other crap. Who cares...I tune out and live.

..getting old sucks.

Consider the alternative. Every day above ground is a good one.

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 04:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: AlephOne
a reply to: SeaWorthy

No luck. All genetic. Both sides of my family have longevity, physical strength, good health, mental acuity, excellent bones, skin, hair and teeth working for them. Been enjoying my fortunate life all my life.

How about you?

I was like you until I was bitten by a tick with Lyme.

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 05:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Thank God you only have such small issues to angst about. I'm late 50's, lost my job 8 years ago and after 400 job applications I'm still unemployed. I do work from my house in my profession on a freelance basis, but without healthcare and irregular income I'm now facing bankruptcy. I will never be able to retire because my savings were wiped out by bills and taxes due to unemployment and the seeming lack of interest of employers to hire an experienced older worker even though I told all I'd take any salary level they offer. I've had a spinal fusion, 2 heart surgeries. Trust me your worries are what I'd hope to have instead of what I'm facing. I wish you well. Please pray for me.
edit on 10-8-2017 by thepixelpusher because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 06:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: NightSkyeB4Dawn
Is it just this particular enclave of ATS that seems to be growing weary of the push for immorality, and the move to desensitize us to almost everything we once viewed as evil?

It seems the majority of the people posting here agree with you, and do not like or agree with the deterioration of our society, yet it is not slowing down.

The movie and music industry thrives off of dollars. Would they continue to make such crap if we aren't spending our hard earned dollars on the crap they are distributing?

I heard some of the vilest lyrics I have ever heard earlier this week, just when I thought it couldn't get any worse.

I am not sure it is even about the money anymore.

I have a sneaky suspicion those agreeing are mostly of a conservative persuasion, not to get political but it would be interesting to take a straw poll and see if there are any lefties who agree with the OP and just how many there are.

I say this because a friend of mine and I have a mutual friend, 3 years older than us who to the right and she is very much living in the past...she is only 42 and already harping on about the "good old days!"

Somebody kill me if I get like that please!

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 10:29 PM
link   
I just recently turned 30 in June, and I already feel the same way a lot of people in this thread do. Music sucks now, and has for at least 10 years; most TV sucks now; and the amount of good movies I've seen in the last decade I could count on one hand. My daily entertainment mainly consists of watching videos on YouTube and reading Hunter S. Thompson books. Other than that, nothing really seems to invigorate me or bring me any joy anymore. I don't even own a cell phone; never have owned one in my life. I don't have any friends because I find that most of the people I meet in my age range are so vapid and shallow.

I'm not even physically old and I'm already bored with life lol.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join