It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teleportation is possible, but how long will it be until humans can use the technology?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue Shift

There will ether be a class war that redistributes the power and wealth over the next 10-100 years or humanity seems destined to split in to two different factions, that being the rich and the poor, the haves and the have not's. But that requires a paradigm shift the likes of which we have yet to experience.

Or we will destroy a significant proportion of the human race down to full blown nuclear war, the famine, fallout, destruction, and possible mini ice age from which will render us back to a pre industrial era for the next 500-1000 years.

End of the day through Humanity as a species are rather hard to completely eradicate as we are designed to adapt and overcome most obstacles nature has to offer.

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 01:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake
End of the day through Humanity as a species are rather hard to completely eradicate as we are designed to adapt and overcome most obstacles nature has to offer.

It's our intelligence and adaptability that will do us in. One of these days a machine is going to wake up and rapidly get smarter than humans, and then it will be a matter of whether they want to keep us around as pets or if they'll just see us as competing for power resources and cull us down to a minimum. Or convert us all into gray goo.

The other significant threat is our ability to manipulate our own genetics, combined with our love of body modification and ornamentation. How many people will choose to have dragonfly wings, or scales, or massive horns to bash each other with? It'll only take a few generations before humanity will split into as many different new species as there are cable channels. And after that? Sterility or war between new species. OR... we'll figure out a way to cure all our diseases, flooding the Earth with even more people who would ordinarily die from old age or sickness -- using up even more resources.

We won't do ourselves in because we're so mean and awful. Our demise seems destined to come about because we're so smart and creative, and because of our love. Our desire to stay alive and keep our loved ones alive as long as possible. It's our positive attributes that will destroy us.

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 01:23 PM
link   

"One of these days a machine is going to wake up and rapidly get smarter than humans"

And when that happens we will have served our evolutionary purpose as a species.

Hopefully through any AI that does materialise will bestow a far better Zoo than TPTB have on offer for its ageing senile creators or even extend us the courtesy of allowing us to merge our own mind and consciousness with its own.

Thus afford us the luxury of experiencing new wonders and ideologies that are completely unimaginable whilst trapped in our very biological human meat sacks.

Humanity does itself over down to our inherent nature to dominate the weak never mind our penchant and capacity for evil.
edit on 10-8-2017 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Humanity does itself over down to our inherent nature to dominate the weak never mind our penchant and capacity for evil.

I really don't think we're inherently evil. I think we're just trying to survive (to keep our DNA moving through time), but we're way more intelligent than we need to be to do that.

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Even if it were somehow possible to teleport living matter, and the obstacles of doing so are rather immense, you have to consider whether or not whatever you get at the other end is indeed a complete facsimile of the original?
The question begs are we greater than the sum of our parts?

There's another consideration. If we managed to figure out teleportation (we never will), it would also serve as a kind of "copy machine," where you could make as many exact duplicates of a thing - or person - as you wanted. Then the question would be, if there were a thousand duplicates of you, would they all be you? Would they all have your "essence?"

I tend to think that what makes us who we are is our point of view. If there's a duplicate out there, he isn't me. I'm me. Looking out of my own eyeballs.

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 02:36 PM
link   
It would be nice if reverse teleportation was available. We could reach out to Kim Jong in North Korea and bring him here for debriefing.

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 02:59 PM
link   

I dont think we are inherently evil ether but like i said penchant and capacity for such seems sometimes to know no bounds.

I think we have a greater purpose or should at least aspire to more than to just procreate and spread our DNA.

We may be nothing more than animals but we have great potential given the correct circumstance.

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 03:06 PM
link   

"If there were a thousand duplicates of you, would they all be you? Would they all have your "essence?"

If multiverse theory turns out to hold any weight there may very well be thousand duplicates of ourselves, just on differing timelines.

Or if indeed teleportation worked, and could allow for multiple copies to be created, could our souls matrix, essence or whatever our brains are connected to at the quantum level share different consciousnesses at the macro level and in the same timeline?

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 04:24 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

If we had the power to do that, politics would probably be one of the last uses for it. (I'll refer to it as "teleport-stealing" in this post.)

I'd expect them to focus on things like teleport-stealing:

1. mineral rich asteroids so they can harvest them
2. deposits from within the earth onto the surface
3. the gold deposits in various central bank vaults
4. priceless artifacts and works of art from around the world
5. rare & valuable animals like the golden lancehead pit viper on Snake Island, which is reportedly sold on the underground market for $10,000-$40,000 per snake (yes, that's in US Dollars).

If they teleport-stole a famous human & let the world know they got him "somehow", it would alert the world to the presence of that technology. But why let the world know about the technology when they could profit from it in secret for ages?

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Quantum teleportation is actually not a copy. The entanglement does not produce a new facsimile of the original. It teleports the original quantum information to the entangled particle. You are basically reduced to q-bits and your pattern information transferred to the entangled corresponding pairs.

Some physicists think this process is destructive and that the original dies. Others theorize that you are, in fact, transferred immediately upon dematerialization. Since the no-cloning theorem appears to prevent a duplication effect in entangled pairs, a copy is physically impossible. But that is just my view.

I could very well be wrong, and whoever appears on the other end of the transporter is NOT actually you, or it is. But since we really don't have enough data on this to make that determination, I think the problem is currently open to interpretation and further examination.

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 05:07 PM
link   

If multiverse theory turns out to hold any weight there may very well be thousand duplicates of ourselves, just on differing timelines.

I tend to think that since I only see one reality from one point of view, alternate universe duplicates either don't exist, or they don't matter.

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 05:12 PM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

Then beam the crazy dictator into space.

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 05:32 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

If they do that, then what would be their justification for arms deals to Japan, the Philippines, South Korea, and others in the region who feel threatened by North Korea? I guess they'd go back to fearmongering about China, but at this point, I don't think it would work.

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Leading edge mathematics/physics seem to suggest the holographic principle might be correct. If that's the case then the multiverse theory may also hold some weight.

As to whether or not other reality's and timelines matter, that depends on how they relate to reality as a whole and/or how they are connected via the quantum realm.

Keeping in mind there is more to even our own universe than we can see that actually "matters", 95-96% more, and as of yet undetectable.

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 06:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
Then beam the crazy dictator into space.

Which one?

posted on Aug, 12 2017 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Hi its possible but not in the way you think. It doesnt require a machine at all just intense thought and knowledge of the metaphysical including taking steps to fully using your 3rd eye. Utilizing intense stress on the body combined with binaural beats and certain spiritual knowledge you can travel. But be warned its not candy canes and snowflakes it takes extreme will to be able to process a different reality from what everyone knows as real. If youre not headstrong you will go crazy. Btw im new here.

posted on Aug, 12 2017 @ 01:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Traveler3000

Your talking about bilocation, the supposed phenomenon of being in two places simultaneously?

Now that's magic but then again "any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic".

posted on Aug, 12 2017 @ 07:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: MuonToGluon
I do not have a problem with the "soul" part, if you're scanning everything at the sub atomic level, the same person with the same memories and personality is going to be reformed.

I have issue with...how: How are they going to take a snapshot of the position of every single sub atomic particle of the person to even begin to teleport them in the first place.

That process is going to dematerilise them anyway (I don't care about the clone debate, you're taking an exact snapshot of the person, uploading it, and rematerializing it on the other end, you kind of have to if you want to teleport someone), which to me is the same person.

HOW are they exactly going to do that is my question.

It's similar to if you know what every particle in the Universe is doing at the exact same time, you can predict all events in the Universe at will.

The answer is there is no way with our current physics. Like Dragon mentioned the information problem is huge but think about what you mean by "scanning" everything at the subatomic level?
If you are already at the subatomic level what exactly do you scan it with? An x-ray scans bones by shooting x-ray photons at a person and the photons pass through the soft tissue but get stopped by the bone which creates a picture.

If you try to scan particles with photons you will disturb the particles, there is no way to do it. We can create a picture of the surface of bones but you cannot scan all the particles inside.

Everyone should at least read the wiki page on quantum teleportation first, this is not actual teleportation.

As for "souls" inside a body or Vitalism, there is no reason to talk about that in a discussion of teleportation inside the Science and Tech section because that isn't at all part of our science. No scientific evidence supports that idea yet.
edit on 12-8-2017 by joelr because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 05:59 PM
link   
a reply to: coomba98
it depends on way its done if you open lets say a wormfro lets say your cubical at work to beside your couch and all u are doing is stepping through a doorway that could be cool. but star trek transporters scan your body then disentigrate you till al is left is subatomic particles then beam them as a particle beam to a location then reintergrated into a body

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join