It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teleportation is possible, but how long will it be until humans can use the technology?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Source

Excerpt for thoughs who cannot use the link.

'AFTER a long week at work, who wouldn’t want to push a button that will send you straight to your sofa with the remote control in arm’s reach?

In 1,000 years time, this might actually be a possibility, scientists believe.

It might sound like something straight out of science fiction, but experts are already able to teleport, reports The Sun.

Last year Canadian scientists successfully teleported tiny atoms faster than the speed of light.

But experts claim thanks to a complicated theory in quantum mechanics, entire objects and even humans can be moved in the same way.

The only thing stopping us is that it would take a humungous amount of energy and complex computing to do so.

So does that mean everytime SG1 goes through a Stargate their effectively killing themselves, and a clone is created at the other Stargate?

How many times have SG1 dies?

Coomba98

Important Note:
Posting work written by others.
edit on 8/10/2017 by Blaine91555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Quantum teleportation isn't really teleportation.

It's merely the instantaneously transmitted relationship between the spin states of two entangled subatomic particles.

This can never be used to teleport real world macro-scale objects.

Think about it. How would you teleport a baseball? First, you'd have to destroy the baseball to gain access to its subatomic particles, then you'd have to entangle them in pairs and send one to the remote destination AT THE SPEED OF LIGHT. Then you'd..... well, I think you get the point. There is no baseball anymore, nothing macro to teleport, and no way to do it without sending one half of the entangled pairs conventionally.

edit on 8-8-2017 by Dudemo5 because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-8-2017 by Dudemo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 09:21 PM
link   
a reply to: coomba98

It sounds like even if you COULD teleport a human, you still can't send the spirit/soul/personality along for the trip.

You'd have a living, breathing dummy...no?

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 09:23 PM
link   

They said teleportation may be available in 1000 years..pfffft.....amateurs.

Barring an extinction level event, I'd say less than 200 years. Think of the technological advancements in just the 20th century alone.

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 09:28 PM
link   
I remember reading a old ats thread about some really old relic found in a mine that was some sort of AI, not that that has anything to do with it but it was linked to this blog from some guy the was a Astro engineer and he had this crazy story about them finding QT tech on the mars rovers, I think it was called the Astro engineers blog or story, did anyone read that? A lot of it was so tech that it was over my head but what I'd did get was fascinating.

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 09:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: bananashooter
I remember reading a old ats thread about some really old relic found in a mine that was some sort of AI.

Reminds me of the Star Trek episode where Data's head was found in a Mine 250 years after it was blown off his (its?) body.

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Think about how long it was from electric toaster to the Hadron collider.. It could yet be 50... 60.. 80 years away maybe... The way knowledge is increasing, one or two decades might be possible too.

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 09:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

It sounds like even if you COULD teleport a human, you still can't send the spirit/soul/personality along for the trip.

You'd have a living, breathing dummy...no?
You make a good point

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 10:08 PM
link   

As Saini explains in a recent TED talk, a baseball, for example, couldn’t be sent by radio waves, but all the information about it could.

If you can read what the quantum state of a baseball is in London, you could send that information around the world and imprint atoms with the same chemical elements in India, where they would be assembled to become the exact same ball.

This sounds like duplication/cloning, not teleportation. For this to be teleportation, you'd have to completely destroy the baseball in London while simultaneously creating the baseball in India. Otherwise, you'd be left with both the original in London and the duplicate/clone in India.

If similar technology existed for humans, it would leave the original human in London and an exact copy of them would be created in the new destination. That example should give a better understanding of the problem with this kind of "teleportation".

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 10:15 PM
link   

First things first, getting it right.

edit on 8-8-2017 by CreationBro because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 10:21 PM
link   
a reply to: AgarthaSeed

The problem with teleportation is that you have to instantly disassemble all of the molecules in the original, send those molecules through this technology, and then reassemble those molecules with 100% accuracy in another location.

To recreate a living creature would require 100% accuracy when recreating every single cell & molecule in that creature. The teleportation "receiver" would have to be able to 100% accurately recreate brain tissue, blood, blood vessels, muscle tissue, ligaments, etc while placing them in the correct locations with microscopic accuracy. Otherwise, the version of the creature that was received in its new location would be a lump of mangled flesh.

And that doesn't even include the fact that all of the creature's memories and its personality would have to somehow be duplicated & recreated with the new body in the distant location, once again with 100% accuracy. Otherwise, you're left with a new being altogether. It would be like teleporting to a new location, but your emotions & family bonds weren't recreated correctly. Or teleporting your pet to go see a spouse who's away on a trip, only for the pet's personality to be completely different and for it to not recognize any of you anymore.

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Beam me up Scotty! Hurry.

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 11:12 PM
link   

. . . but experts are already able to teleport, reports The Sun.

Your link explains humans already can?

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 11:15 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Isn't it what most people actually are??

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 11:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nitzz321

Isn't it what most people actually are??

I wouldn't says that most people are dummies. Many are. Perhaps I should have used a more appropriate word to describe a tele-created human who doesn't have a soul/spirit/personality. What would be the word for him/her?

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 11:52 PM
link   
The Stargate uses a wormhole, not teleportation (as far as I know) so this is different technology. Star Trek teleporters would be killing and remaking the crew every time, though.

posted on Aug, 9 2017 @ 12:08 AM
link   

I'm pretty sure they do not think we will be able to teleport things ever..

I have only heard of them using quantum entanglement..

With that you can send information HYPOTHETICALLY.. but not atoms..

It is just that when you entangle particals . When you change one , both are effected.

posted on Aug, 9 2017 @ 12:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: coomba98
So does that mean everytime SG1 goes through a Stargate their effectively killing themselves, and a clone is created at the other Stargate?
SG1 doesn't use a teleporter, they use a wormhole which is different.

That article is full of lies, misinformation and bullspit, and doesn't even address the point you tried to make about the fact that a teleporter would actually be a suicide machine. It would kill you and make a clone somewhere else and the "no cloning" part of quantum teleportation makes sure that the "clone" isn't really a clone.

Both of these videos provide much more accurate information about human teleportation issues than that extremely ignorant article:

The Trouble with Transporters

Transporters and Quantum Teleportation

E=mc^2 right? Has anybody tried plugging your own mass into that formula to see how much energy you'd be turned into before being re-assembled?

todayifoundout.com/index.php/2012/05/if-we-could-convert-matter-perfectly-to-energy-a-typical-adult-male-would-produce-an-explosion-160-times-more-pow erful-than-the-largest-nuclear-bomb-ever-detonated/

edit on 201789 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Aug, 9 2017 @ 12:11 AM
link   

If I'm right the only even remotely possible theory is either a worm hole or to destroy someone and copy all their cells making a duplicate..

AKA the movie "the prestige"

Nothing else is even physically possible with our present understanding of physics.

posted on Aug, 9 2017 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Sorry but quantum teleportation isn't going to help teleport anything. Quantum teleportation instantly transfers the condition or “state” of one quantum particle to another distant one without sending the particle itself. Think of it as two clocks that I have separated I can reset one clock and the second will change to match by sending the information to the second clock.

The classic star Trek teleportation will never happen. For 2 basic reasons one you would need to have something that can break down matter and store that information. This would require a computer consisting of all the matter in the universe just to store it. The second problem reassembly once on the other end you have to reassemble a whole new object using information from the first. Yes for you to teleport you have to die. And a whole new person would be created on the other side. Problem is an atom by atom assembly would be required but to make matters worse the atoms would habe to be customized according to original information.

In other words a feat that is just impossible seeing as you would have to have something there that could have the computational power to do that and the ability to assemble something atom by atom. What we are hoping is just like setting a clock we can use quantum teleportation to transfer information instantly.
edit on 8/9/17 by dragonridr because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join