It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Feminist tweets for pro-gay marriage gets abused by LGBTI

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Australian feminist and blogger Mia Freedman of the Website Mamamia posted a selfie to twitter urging people who supported gay marriage to post a selfie pointing to their wedding ring with the hashtag #marriedformarriageequality. Well the LGBTI community didn't like that at all and have flooded her twitter with insults calling her privileged and tone deaf.

Her tweeted appology:

As a passionate advocate for #marriageequality I believe it's vital for the straight community and those of us who are legally able to marry to stand alongside our LGTBQI brothers & sisters, sons and daughters, mothers & fathers, workmates & colleagues & fight for their rights.

Marriage equality is a human rights issue & is supported by the vast vast majority of straight, married people.

If I inadvertently offended anyone by calling for legally married women to raise their voices in support of those who can't legally married, I unequivocally apologise.

I was using my public profile to support #marriageequaility as I always have. I'm mortified if that's been a distraction in any way.

Mamamia & I have worked closely with @AMEquality Marriage Equality for several years & will continue to do so until all Australians can marry.

Some of the outraged tweets:

@leemilton Mia Freedman has GOT to be kidding. Like, this is next level trolling right?

@katejinx OMG @MiaFreedman @Mamamia you are literally rubbing your straight privilege in our queer, cant get married faces. Hide your shame!"

The "offensive" post has since been removed from her website Mamamia and twitter.

It seems like 'you're damned if you do, damned if you don't'. I am struggling with this one. It seems like having good intentions and trying to support a cause aren't enough. This is the problem faced by the militant left; everything's all peachy when you're hurling abuse at the racist nazis of the world but step out of line from the official rhetoric and boom you'll be eaten by your own. The funniest thing about this is that Mia's website is left leaning, full of pro LGBTI and anti racism articles, she has probably done more for marriage equality than the average supporter on the street.

Maybe I'm missing the mark, but is #marriedformarriageequality really that offensive?

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 06:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Kalixi

Yes this has been driving me crazy and getting more noticeable....the damned if you do damned if you don't thing.

I just keep my mouth shut when I hear people talking stupid. The old saying you can't fix stupid is getting more accurate by the day.

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 06:37 PM
link   
The easy way to say it is that normal in all its many forms is damned.

+6 more 
posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 06:42 PM
link   
This is the inevitable end game of cultural marxism.

When everyone is put into groups based on identity politics of either oppressor or oppressed, eventually everyone is an oppressor.

And they will eat their own, as we are already seeing.

For example, who are these LGBT people to complain about equality? At least they are able bodied. Who are they to use the hands to type complaints when the disabled can't even type. That is a slap in the face to the disabled!

link   
If you can't support those who support you, you'll soon have no support.

link   

I'm missing something.

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 06:45 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 06:53 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 07:00 PM
link   
I usually don't chime in on these topics.

But it's laughably out of control these days.
Now if you say anything you can be labeled "straight priviledged" or whatever. Bahahahahah!

I have to laugh.
It's my coping mechanism for people's stupidity.

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 07:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien

I'm missing something.

I could understand the offence if she posted the same selfie but wrote "You cant get married ner ner ner. I don't support gay marriage!!! bahahaha" It honestly seems that the only thing wrong with the post is that Mia is straight therefore she doesn't get to throw her popular website and media popularity behind the cause.

And this rehashing of the ME debate hasn't arisen from the blue; it was currently being debated in parliament and I believe the Government has resorted to putting a plebiscite to the Australian voters to decide whether they want it or not. Thus, the cause needs more exposure via websites and hastags

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 07:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien

I'm missing something.

Because she is straight and married, she is offensive for showing off her marriage even when she tries to do so in a show of support for gay marriage. It doesn't matter that she's trying to recognize their cause using her own status; they're going to be offended because she has that status and isn't gay like them.

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Yeah. I get it. I guess we need to see the twitter in question. I'm sure someone has a copy of it.

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 07:09 PM
link   

In other words "shut up'. This is a fairly recent leftist principle.

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 07:12 PM
link   
This isn't the Militant left, this is more Liberalized hijacking of Liberation movements for political manipulation and "funding"

allies are worthless and asinine if they are not going to be co-conspirators. the LGBTQ+ liberation movements really need to start looking outwards towards the actions of Bash Back! if they want true liberation

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 07:13 PM
link   

I think I see where the outrage came from. Maybe they misread it? Either way it's pretty silly.

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Do these tweeters speak for the LGBT community in some way???

Are they spokes people or heads of some big advocacy group??

Or is it just the opinion of 2 random no names on the web???

If it's no names.. why exactly do they get to be the spokesman for the LGBts?

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 07:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

Yea kinda could be read multiple ways lol

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 07:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox
a reply to: Deaf Alien

Yea kinda could be read multiple ways lol

Yeah that's what I was thinking. It does appear that she was flaunting her status and two people took it the wrong way. She probably could have worded it better.

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 07:40 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 07:47 PM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

I often wonder if these types are intentionally trying to make the entire group look bad by posting such irrational outrage.

I normally cannot stand Lauren Southern, but her video Why I Hate Gay Pride is spot on.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join