It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Didn't we invade Iraq because we thought they had WMD? Why are we afraid of invading North Korea?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 06:02 PM
link   
McCain takes exception to Trump remarks

O and Sanctions and "Talking" was helpful? They got the Nukes and ICBMs. Thanks to Sanctions and talking. North Korea isnt used to a President trolling them back. They got Bombs we got bigger Bombs. America has the moral high ground here. They killed a American over a sign. Plus everyone was so quick to invade Iraq because they thought they had WMD. Meanwhile NK actually has WEAPONS OF MASS DESTRUCTION AND OPENLY BRAG ABOUT LOL.

"I don't know what he's saying and I've long ago given up trying to interpret what he says," McCain said of Trump during an interview with a local Arizona radio station first reported by NBC. "That kind of rhetoric, I'm not sure how it helps."

Thats cute McCain taking the high road after he voted Yes to invade Iraq. How many Wars has Trump started? Answer: 0. Hes finishing the ones you started.

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 06:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Xianb

Because North Korea doesn't have oil. (though we've found they have other resources recently, can't remember what off the top of my head though).

Also, what do we do with North Korea after we defeat them? Occupy them? Let South Korea absorb them and topple their economy?

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 06:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

Because North Korea doesn't have oil. (though we've found they have other resources recently, can't remember what off the top of my head though).

I saw that article. They said NK is worth like 6 trill apparently.

Also, what do we do with North Korea after we defeat them? Occupy them? Let South Korea absorb them and topple their economy?

Make NK the 52nd State after Iraq. We conquered them fair and square.

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Because NK unlike Saddam has real WMD's.

And the Korean Army is a tougher group than the worn down Iraq army

NK has China and Russia, ultimately, at its back also, Iraq had no one

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Because we don't want to get in a war with China

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 06:11 PM
link   

So hemorrhage trillions of more dollars after not learning our mistakes?

You know the definition of trying the same thing over and over expecting different results?

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Because NK has Nukes. Iraq, not so. A difference in these WMD's.

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Didn't we invade Iraq because we thought they had WMD?

That was the stated official reason to "sell" it. It was a ruse.

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Oil for one.

Also the geopolitics is totally different.

Soon as they start a war with DPRK, it draws in South Korea, then Japan would also probably get drawn in, so then China decides to start moving in the South China sea and that then just starts to mess everything up.

Also A war against DPRK would be very costly interns of the number of troops and other service personnel lost, DPRK would not be the push over that Iraq was which is another consideration.

For me those are the thee main reasons, I am sure that there are more and its much more complicated than that.

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 06:19 PM
link   
North Korea is not Iraq. Sure, we can easily defeat NK, but if war breaks out with NK there will be a huge danger to two of our allies - South Korea and Japan. South Korea will probably face huge casualties. North Korea has actual WMDs, apparently including sarin nerve gas. If NK hits Seoul with sarin gas, it won't be pretty.

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 06:19 PM
link   

I mean Iraq worked out so well that of course we should be...

Oh wait.

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 06:20 PM
link   

It is called artillery. It is pointed at Seoul and can be fired within seconds. Pretty simple actually.

Once that ball is put into play, you are looking at global conflict.

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 06:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

So hemorrhage trillions of more dollars after not learning our mistakes?

You know the definition of trying the same thing over and over expecting different results?

We never made Iraq the 51st State. We only put a puppet government in charge and when Obama pulled out it collapsed.

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Simply the collateral affects on China. We Fear nothing Xianb. We have concern and that is all. We will get bloodied, they will get annihilated, utterly surgically destroyed, it's there for all to see.

McCain is still around out of sympathy and is nothing more than a petulant voice continuing to make faint noises.

The politics of Iraq's invasion could well be debated, certainly there were people that made bank off of it, namely Dick Cheney, but frankly this is apples and oranges, and unless an Alchemist has learned how to combine the two, these are entirely different circumstances. We guessed Iraq had WMD's, We Know of North Korea's intentions. They are there for all to see, on display worldwide, no question. Therein is the difference.
edit on 8-8-2017 by Plotus because: because of weather change

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Who cares about the innocent people dying and the damage to the ecosystem a war would cause? We're so thin-skinned that a fat midget insulting us makes us want to commit genocide. How sad.

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 06:31 PM
link   

A few things. Russia and China for 2. 3rd is what to do after. 4th is soel, Japan and Guam we don't want blown off the map. 5th they probably do not have a end game that has enough dollar signs at the end. 6th NK actually has better and stronger allies than Iraq did. 7th NK is a harder landscape and climate to operate. 8th we would love for China, Japan, South Korea and or anyone else but us to take care or control them. Probably a few more but this is a good list off the top of my head.....ohh and NK actually has WMD so they are dangerous as we probably knew Iraq did not have nukes or the missle capability.

Ohh we also had way better intel on Iraq no doubt about that one.

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 06:31 PM
link   
That is a cavalier tone for someone who might see NK missiles rain down on SK and possibly the US.

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 06:34 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Who's this "we" you're referring to?

Last I looked the vast majority didn't much care for the idea of going to war again on the Korean Peninsula... Has something suddenly changed?
--------

As for invading North Korea, as opposed to Iraq?? For one thing, nukes. Secondly, the US military used/uses a doctrine of movement based warfare, the terrain in North Korea mitigates that quite a lot. Check out a map...lots of mountains.

North Korea, by all accounts, has a huge percentage of the Earths rare earth supply. So if it were only for oil, it'd be only for rare earths...just as valid a reason since that's what many seem to think.

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Because North Korea doesn't have oil..

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 06:53 PM
link   

I do think your basically right about keeping what you conquer.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join