It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Philadelphia Tax Makes Soda More Expensive Than Beer

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2017 @ 04:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: strongfp

So because you were stupid about it everyone else must be too?

That's no excuse for justifying a "sin" tax on anything and everything the government decides it must save you from.

You are assuming I was an adult when this happened.

posted on Aug, 9 2017 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Beer is natural and full of B vitamins. Traditional beer's ingredients are water, malted barley, and yeast.

"Beer is liquid bread, it's good for you. We drink beer 'til we spew."

posted on Aug, 9 2017 @ 08:10 AM
link   

If this directive was truly aimed at helping people, why in Philly, Chicago, and Seattle was it not put on a referendum? It was instead the city council or county board in those instances that voted this into policy not the people.

In most instances it is merely a feeble attempt to scrounge up any money they can in an attempt to offset budget deficits. If you can't see this as anything but an attempt to fleece you out of more of your money. Please return to the pasture with the rest of the sheep

posted on Aug, 9 2017 @ 08:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp

originally posted by: Grambler

originally posted by: BlueJacket
a reply to: FyreByrd

Nobody killed whole families while driving while drinking a soda either.

Excessive taxation no matter on what...is the very reason that spawned our revolution. King Goerge needed to pay for his war with France and taxed the colonists more and more.

Taxing like this is ridiculous and unfair

And Sugary drinks have slowly and painfully killed or made millions of peoples lives ruined.

Honestly, people know alcohol has it's risks, those who abuse feel the punishment rather quickly, socially and physically.
But when people think that drinking three cans of pepsi a day is OK with other random sugary junk throughout the day in 'healthy' foods, it all adds up quickly. And when it's available to children as well.

I have a personal experience with sugary drinks, and it was because I was just naive and ignorant to it's terrible nutrition.

Oh an people spend too much time on personal devices and get unhealthy, so we should tax them until they are unaffordable.

And people get hurt playing baseball, so tax bats and balls through the roof.

And what about Gluten? My god Gluten! Please someone tax gluten out of existence!

They do tax cell phones, hence why some smart phones are more expensive than others, it's a luxury.
But, you are comparing apples to oranges, or rather, apples to an electronics, and sports here. Much different.

How does that even relate to something that people can get addicted to by just consuming one or two on a daily basis?
They tax alcohol and tobacco heavily, why is highly caffeinated and sugary drinks any different?

There was even an epidemic with mountain dew in the states. ABC News Mountain Dew mouth.

And populations were targeted around the world with advertising and rise in diabetes begins. There's a direct correlation to sugary drinks and long term health issues. Education works, but wanna know how our petty minds work, just put a larger dollar sign on it and people will start taking it more seriously.

Yes we know. And despite taxes on alcohol, your evil sugary beverages cost more than beer in Phili.

Or didn't you read the OP?

I assume you have never heard of "personal responsibility".

You made bad choices with sugar. And so it must be the sugar companies fault, and the governments for allowing you to have the freedom to make choices.

Now you insist the government take away others freedom because you used yours poorly.

I think mentalities like yours are more dangerous than sugar will ever be.

posted on Aug, 9 2017 @ 11:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

What do you mean 'you'? Are you insinuating that because when I was 14 and I didn't understand the negative effects of sugar on my body I am now an expert and I am an isolated case?

Because, I can assure you, I am not. Far from it.
I can scrounge up dozens of articles, documentaries, studies, and social experiments about how sugar is so integrated into our daily lives it does need some sort of regulation.

Why not start with the largest offenders, taxing the one thing people honestly should not be consuming on a daily basis, soda beverages.
I understand where you are coming from. I really do, but the history of the food and beverage industry has been shown to be quite cut throat, they literally took advertising from the old tobacco campaigns and just replaced it with a can of coke.

I am surprised you are upset over paying a small tax. Do you drink it so often it will hurt your wallet?

posted on Aug, 9 2017 @ 12:08 PM
link   

That "small" tax adds up when you and people like you add a "small" tax into the fee of everything you don't like because in some way, shape, or form it is considered bad for people, so you create a "sin" tax.

For a bunch of anti-religious people, you sure do like creating all the trappings of a modern religion through government.

So sayest the shepard, and verily I say unto you, sugar is bad. Therefore, let there be a sin offering upon your cumsumption of such ...

This shall absolve thee of thy sins, my children ...

You mayest make thine offerings to the local priest,er, government official.

posted on Aug, 9 2017 @ 12:41 PM
link   

So taxing the ignorant to excess is the answer?

posted on Aug, 9 2017 @ 01:06 PM
link   

What do you mean 'you'? Are you insinuating that because when I was 14 and I didn't understand the negative effects of sugar on my body I am now an expert and I am an isolated case?

Because, I can assure you, I am not. Far from it.
I can scrounge up dozens of articles, documentaries, studies, and social experiments about how sugar is so integrated into our daily lives it does need some sort of regulation.

Why not start with the largest offenders, taxing the one thing people honestly should not be consuming on a daily basis, soda beverages.
I understand where you are coming from. I really do, but the history of the food and beverage industry has been shown to be quite cut throat, they literally took advertising from the old tobacco campaigns and just replaced it with a can of coke.

I am surprised you are upset over paying a small tax. Do you drink it so often it will hurt your wallet?

No I am upset an busy body government officials taxing people in an attempt to change their lifestyle choices.

You were 14 and didn't know sugary beverages were bad for you? Wow.

So who should be punished for your poor choices? You? Your parents?

Nope, you say the beverage company and everyone else. WE should pay for your mistake.

What else should be taxed for being unhealthy?

Unprotected sex?

Your choices were your own. If you were two young to understand, it was your guardians. Stop trying to meddle in other peoples lives for your mistakes.

posted on Aug, 9 2017 @ 01:35 PM
link   

You're going a little overboard here.
And I'm not going to get into the mind of a 13 - 14 year old, it was over a few years of over indulging without my parents knowing I didn't know. They didn't teach that your liver enzymes can get all screwed up from sugar, or how insulin works, plus what 12 year old would care about that?

But let me guess you had six kids a full time job and a mortgage at like 18 or something?
You gotta start thinking rationally here.

When there is strong evidence that sugar has the same effects on the body and brain as alcohol and it's just as dangerous as tobacco, don't you think something is a little off here?
Should they start letting Marlboro advertise cigarettes to kids again? Or that's it's good for You?

And this isn't am attempt to change a lifestyle. Because of it really was, them pretty much everything between the fresh produce and meat sections of grocery stores should be taxed as well.

posted on Aug, 9 2017 @ 01:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket

So taxing the ignorant to excess is the answer?

Well, you live in the so called land of the free. Don't like the taxes, don't pay em. That's the mentality you are portraying here.
And it's not in excess.

posted on Aug, 9 2017 @ 06:28 PM
link   

You're going a little overboard here.
And I'm not going to get into the mind of a 13 - 14 year old, it was over a few years of over indulging without my parents knowing I didn't know. They didn't teach that your liver enzymes can get all screwed up from sugar, or how insulin works, plus what 12 year old would care about that?

But let me guess you had six kids a full time job and a mortgage at like 18 or something?
You gotta start thinking rationally here.

When there is strong evidence that sugar has the same effects on the body and brain as alcohol and it's just as dangerous as tobacco, don't you think something is a little off here?
Should they start letting Marlboro advertise cigarettes to kids again? Or that's it's good for You?

And this isn't am attempt to change a lifestyle. Because of it really was, them pretty much everything between the fresh produce and meat sections of grocery stores should be taxed as well.

Didn't you have health class in school, or where they too pre-occupied with teaching you to put condoms on a banana correctly?

We were taught from a young age when I was in school that sugar was bad for you and it was only for occasional treats. It didn't take rocket science to figure out that pop was loaded with sugar.

posted on Aug, 9 2017 @ 10:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

All I hear is more tax.

edit on 8 9 2017 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join