It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SF California Street sells for $90000 and neighbors are not happy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Well isn't this interesting. I never knew you could actually buy a street. Wait until you hear of the politicians who used to live there. lol Nancy Pelosi. So, since the guy bought the street, can he like raise the taxes on it? Or pulverize the homes?
What can the owner legally do now that he owns the street?

www.yahoo.com...
edit on 8-8-2017 by Diabolical1972 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Diabolical1972

We don't own the sidewalk out front our house either, even though technically, it is 'on' our property.

edit on 8-8-2017 by intrptr because: change

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Bbwwaahahaha!
$15 a a day street usage fee per car?

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 11:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

$15 bucks, you make nothing back. Try 30,000, you forget where these people live. lol Plus, he has to make his money back somehow. Hmm, Possibly put some meters on the road and really make them mad. Or tear down the wall that keeps the riff raff out. lol

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Gearing up for cessation, they need all the money they can get. Privatize all the public spaces also helps in having a say on whats there or allowed to be there.

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 11:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Diabolical1972
a reply to: Bluntone22

$15 bucks, you make nothing back. Try 30,000, you forget where these people live. lol Plus, he has to make his money back somehow. Hmm, Possibly put some meters on the road and really make them mad. Or tear down the wall that keeps the riff raff out. lol

If it is a "Private" lot than State Laws don't apply, so theoretically a scofflaw can not pay their fees and the new owner would have to go through 'Civil Court' to get any monies..

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 11:59 AM
link   

$15 times 50 cars is $750 a day
$750 times 365 days equals
$273,750 per year.

I guessed at 50 cars.

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 12:01 PM
link   
WTF!

Back in the late 90's, in Michigan, our dirt road off the paved lake drive, it wasn't a half a mile long, the city said it would cost $1,000,000 to pave it.

Okay, now:

It turns out the homeowners association for Presidio Terrace failed to pay a $14-a-year property tax, something that owners of all 181 private streets in San Francisco must do, the Chronicle reported.

So the city's tax office put the property up for sale at the cost of $994 in an online auction to regain unpaid back taxes, penalties and interest. The couple eventually won the street with a $90,100 bid in an April 2015 auction.

And there it is, some BS stirred up by this push of Neighborhood Associations. Is that trend some liberal BS? I dont know but seeing this in the grandest form in SanFran I'm now wondering while that's some sick irony this bizarre twist of "capitalism" there. Which reminds me, our little dirt road block off the lake, the idiots got a neighborhood association thing going there and WTF the BS effing drama it stirred up all centered around gate access to the boat launch / lake lot at the end of the street. Neighborhood associations are BS.

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

If I was a member of that association, I think I would be filing a lawsuit against the idiots that were taking my money to make rules that prevent me from painting my house whatever color I like.... all the while NEGLECTING to pay a $14 a year tax!

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 12:11 PM
link   

I think this awful!

Especially as the people paid by the rich people to think of this sort of scam didn"t think of it first. They should be fired.

Mister Cheng maybe allowed to sell Fracking Rights to an anonymous corporate owned by other rich people smart enough to hire smart people to do their thinking for them.

I think we should start an appeal fund to help the rich people.

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 12:23 PM
link   
I will only help with the appeal if they help me.

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Hilarious really. You can tell I have No love for California, and San Francisco especially. Immigrants coming here to the United States thinking it's a big one armed bandit looking to hit the jackpot. Dig up some dirt, have them tied up in legal fees, hire H A's to relocate them... File eminent domain. Ultimately a bad buy, a troublesome buy, a dangerous buy, and a costly buy.

H A's ..... a jocular group of mischevious and charming motorcycle entheusiasts
edit on 8-8-2017 by Plotus because: add

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Well isn't this interesting. I never knew you could actually buy a street. Wait until you hear of the politicians who used to live there. lol Nancy Pelosi. So, since the guy bought the street, can he like raise the taxes on it? Or pulverize the homes?

www.yahoo.com...

The whole estate is private property, the homes are owned by the individual property owners, while the access road (street) and sidewalks was owned by the Homeowners Association. But they didn't keep track of the property tax payments (which were a small sum each year). The city got fed and auctioned off ownership of the street. The couple buy that land at the auction. They could do all sorts of crazy things like put a toll booth at the entrance. But that would lead to counter-lawsuits and all sorts of legal wars. It will probably be settled out of court.

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 01:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

We don't own the sidewalk out front our house either, even though technically, it is 'on' our property.

And if the sidewalk gets messed up over time then you have to pay to fix it.

Tell me how that works?

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Neighborhood Association you say?
Let me try to work up some sympathy...nope.
Cant do it.

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 01:54 PM
link   

www.yahoo.com...

When you don't pay your taxes, the government can file a lien against the property. In many cases after years of non-payment, they will usually foreclose and basically sell the property for pennies on the dollar to investors. This is essentially what happened.

For example, when you own a home you have to pay property taxes. If you don't pay your taxes, eventually the county will put your home up for sale and an investor can literally buy the home out from under you.

In this case, there apparently was some issue where the bill was sent to wrong address every year and none of the idiots at the HOA were organized enough to know the bill hadn't been paid. So this guy swoops in a purchases the street.

Common sense would tell you that the government could have easily reached out to any of the homeowners, but apparently that is too much work. So this guy gets a windfall due to someone else's incompetence.

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 09:36 PM
link   
if you own a street and you don`t properly maintain it can the people who use the street sue you for damages to their vehicles by driving on your pothole street? can people who use the street withhold payments like they can against a slumlord property owner? a slumlord street owner. I don`t think I would want to own a street the potential lawsuits would be staggering.
the parents of every kid who falls off his bike because of a pothole will be suing the street owner.

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 10:47 PM
link   
I would be surprised if there wasn't some sort of easement written in the homeowners title/deed. Although, being a HOA property at one time, having an easement written into the title may have been overlooked. Without an easement, things could get interesting if the street owner decided to flex some muscle and block access. He certainly wouldn't be making any new friends and the lawsuits would most likely ensue.

posted on Aug, 9 2017 @ 07:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zerodoublehero

originally posted by: intrptr

And if the sidewalk gets messed up over time then you have to pay to fix it.

Tell me how that works?

I'm old school, don't know current policy. Used to be you couldn't alter the sidewalk or boulevard, city 'maintained' it.

top topics

join