It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can Ben Jealous win in Maryland and point the way forward for Democrats?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 09:22 AM
link   
The irony just keeps getting better.

This gem is about a Candidate for Governor of Maryland.

The Gentleman is a former NAACP official.

Probably a decent person.

But his name is going to start a fury of irony.

His name is Ben Jealous.

Well how "jealous" has he been in the past ?

Perfection is hard to achieve.

On a cloudy summer evening in the Park Heights neighborhood in West Baltimore, about 100 people mill about an elementary school yard. They are drawn by free food, raffles and the presence of community groups who have set up shop as part of National Night Out, a nationwide series of events designed to promote public safety and violence prevention.

They are not there for politics, but Ben Jealous is here anyway.

The former NAACP president turned Maryland gubernatorial candidate makes his way through the crowd, shaking hands in a city that his family has lived in for more than 80 years. His presence brings a jolt of energy to a rainy evening and his banter with residents feels less like that of a politician schmoozing voters than of old friends reuniting.

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 09:27 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

As a Marylander, I certainly hope not. Our current Republican governor has the second highest approval rating of all govenors in the country so things arent looking too good for Mr. Jealous.

Link

According to the poll, Hogan’s super-majority approval rating is second only to the governor of Massachusetts. Hogan rides a tide of high approval ratings despite the two-to-one Democratic majority in the State. According to Morning Consult, Hogan is three points behind Massachusetts’ Charlie Baker, another republican in a deep blue state. Sixty-eight percent of registered voters polled in Maryland approve of Hogan’s performance as governor, while 16 percent disapprove. Thirteen percent don’t know or have no opinion.

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 09:30 AM
link   

According to the article - and confirmed by a google search - Democrats outnumber Republicans two to one in Maryland, so, yeah, he can.

"Can he lose?" is almost a more apt question.

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 10:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: DupontDeux

According to the article - and confirmed by a google search - Democrats outnumber Republicans two to one in Maryland, so, yeah, he can.

"Can he lose?" is almost a more apt question.

And if he loses, they can say he "has-been" jealous !!

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Honestly, it's hard to take him seriously with that name. It's not as bad as if he was Ben Dover, but it's not that far removed, either

edit on 8-8-2017 by AndyFromMichigan because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Just what this country needs!

Another race pimp with political power!

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 12:00 PM
link   

I don't know. He's got all the right credentials. It'll be a matter of turnout and I'd guess that leftists will turn out in large numbers, particularly for a former NAACP president. It may be dependent upon how low Republican turnout falls and it would be my guess they'll stay home in droves.

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 12:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

Yea, and the Dems also have Kamala Harris and there's talk of her running for POTUS in 2020.

My question is........at this point, what does it even matter anymore? With today's accelerating rate of change in technology, we've all been reduced to "visitor" status. Its kinda like being a tourist at a giant Carnival that takes you and everyone else with it around the country from town to town.

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 12:09 PM
link   
At the same time, the Democrats have also answered the question of whether or not they can run candidates horrible enough that people won't even vote just for the (D) attached to their name. They proved that with Hillary.

I guess now they're going for the double play? Can you find candidates horrible enough that people won't even vote for the allure of (D) + preferred skin color attached to their name?

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Tough to say. Hogan has done a pretty good job so far. I'm going to make a prediction now that Jealous will take Baltimore. Especially if he makes lowering crime in the city (one of the few areas Hogan has dropped the ball) part of his platform. It will probably come down to how well Hogan can mobilize the rural areas.

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 10:02 PM
link   
as a Marylander and a republican I will tell you that if a democrat can`t win the governors office or any other political office in Maryland then they have serious problems. Baltimore and the Washington suburbs are die hard democrats the rest of the state are republicans. The Washington suburbs and Baltimore are die hard democrats and the population numbers in those areas vastly outnumber the rest of the state.

in the last election my dad who is a recent convert to the democrats asked for a Hillary yard sign and they told him that they don`t give Hilary yard signs to Maryland residents because Maryland is a gimme state for the democrats.
The overwhelming number of democrats in the Washington suburbs and Baltimore always give the state to the democrats so the democrats don`t even campaign here or give yard signs.

It was a shock to everyone in the state when republican governor Hogan won the election, he is only the 4th republican governor in Maryland in the last 75 years. That`s how I knew Hillary was never going to win the election for president in 2016. When a die hard democrat state like Maryland elects a republican governor then you know something has gone horrible wrong with the democrat party.

if jealous wins it won`t be a surprise but if he loses, that will be another sign of continuing disaster for the democrats. The democrats have lost over 1,000 seats nationwide under Obama,they even lost the governorship of a die hard democrat state like Maryland under Obama.

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 10:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
At the same time, the Democrats have also answered the question of whether or not they can run candidates horrible enough that people won't even vote just for the (D) attached to their name. They proved that with Hillary.

I guess now they're going for the double play? Can you find candidates horrible enough that people won't even vote for the allure of (D) + preferred skin color attached to their name?

and that`s the final nail in the democrat coffin, if a black democrat can`t win in Maryland then that`s the end of the democrat party.
the democrats consider Maryland a bought and paid for state, they don`t run T.V commercials here,they don`t give yard signs or bumper stickers here. if you see a Marylander with democrat bumper sticker you can be sure they bought it on the internet or went to virginia and got it.
you can tell Maryland is caught in the democrat death spiral because it`s one of the smallest states but has one of the highest tax revenues.
edit on 8-8-2017 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-8-2017 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

join