It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Just Want To Say I Told You So. RE: LGBT

page: 24
<< 21  22  23    25  26 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2017 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

I think she is a heterosexual who happens to enjoy physical stuff with women for fun.

But fun in a sexual manner is arousal.

So if you choose to have sex with one simple a sexual relationship its the attraction which hard wired its just that you may not fall in love with that person.

When a person has fun, a chemical reaction happens in their mind.

Depending on what experience one is having to create the feelings of fun, a person having sex for fun will being so due to the arousal they get, that's what makes it fun and enjoyable.

You cant choose how the chemicals in your body react with one another when they have been triggered to a response by and arousing experience you re having, be a physical experience sex or an emotional experience of love.

posted on Aug, 9 2017 @ 10:53 AM
link   
a reply to: InhaleExhale

Perhaps. Honestly, I think the woman I referred to gets aroused around women because she knows that a lot of men find that hot. Not that she is having sex with women in front of men, but just thinking how hot it is to men gets her aroused. It's kind of weird, but I still don't think her orientation is bi.

posted on Aug, 9 2017 @ 11:16 AM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

I always found that funny about our species , we have like a million words to describe plants and animals and the universe but only like 12 to describe our emotions

just goes to show how lacking we are

posted on Aug, 9 2017 @ 12:11 PM
link   
By the way, public health professionals view MSM (men who have sex with men) and WSM (women who have sex with women) differently than someone who IDENTIFIES as gay or Lesbian.

For example, one recent study which looked at the health of MSM ---

Among all men, 2.6 % (n = 190) were defined as MSM, of whom 52.5 % (95 % CI: 43.6 %–61.2 %) identified as gay.

BMC Public Health

There's a reason for that.
edit on 9-8-2017 by Gryphon66 because: Noted

posted on Aug, 9 2017 @ 12:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: enlightenedservant
a reply to: Gryphon66

Why assume they "forgot" that stuff? Many people were advocating for those things and others would gladly welcome their return. Remember all of the "fire & brimstone" comments when the Supreme Court outlawed the bans on gay marriage? Obergefell v. Hodges was only 2 years ago.

Yes, that's why I put "forgot" in quotes. Some are probably too young to have any memory of the way LGBT have been historically treated in America.

Some may not have known, as such things were socially stigmatized. (One of the motivations behind the Pride effort.)

The vast majority, however, choose to pretend that LGBT Americans have always had the normal freedom any citizen should reasonably expect. They choose to ignore the fact that we were imprisoned, lobotomized, tortured, castrated and electricuted. They want to act like there wasn't a time (which is still here, by the way) when an LGBT American could be fired for no other reason than their sexuality or gender identity.

So my post was intended to "remind" people of those facts.

edit on 9-8-2017 by Gryphon66 because: Noted

posted on Aug, 9 2017 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

Not to far out there. You are describing genetics. Gender I feel can be changed by environment or behaviors that affect the person also. The discussion is definitely not black and white.

posted on Aug, 9 2017 @ 01:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

I try to remind people of just how far this country has come, but also remind them that we also have a long way to go. After all, we still have some people who think African Americans were better off under slavery (like the right wing "hero" Cliven Bundy).

posted on Aug, 9 2017 @ 02:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: matafuchs

Not to far out there. You are describing genetics. Gender I feel can be changed by environment or behaviors that affect the person also. The discussion is definitely not black and white.

No.

Gender cannot change.

If an individual feels like they change gender by environment and behaviors, that is a mental sense of self.
edit on 9-8-2017 by kyleplatinum because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2017 @ 03:09 PM
link   
a reply to: matafuchs

Gender I feel can be changed by environment or behaviors that affect the person also.

You're saying that it is not a choice.

posted on Aug, 9 2017 @ 03:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Dfairlite

I am going to guess that more people are coming out because they feel safer than before and has nothing to do with deciding to be gay because it is the "in" thing to do.

posted on Aug, 9 2017 @ 03:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dfairlite
Back when the whole gay marriage debate was raging, I was assured by everyone who supported normalization, that more people wouldn't become gay/lesbian/bi/trans. After all, "its not something you choose," they said. Well, you were wrong. I was right. Hahaha. (I'm not actually laughing, this is quite sad).

Of course their reassurances were based on nothing more than wishful thinking and ignorance. We all know, no one acts in a vacuum and if you normalize any behavior, it encourages people to do things they wouldn't otherwise be inclined to do.

So here it is:
Since 2012 people identifying as LGBT has increased from 3.5% to 4.1% an increase of 17% (definitely not statistical noise). Giving even more credence to my assertion is that ALL of the gain came among millennials. No other generation saw an increase in LGBT identification.

Millenial: 2012: 5.8% 2016: 7.3% (That's an increase of 25% for those keeping score)
Gen x: 2012: 3.2% 2016: 3.2%
Boomers: 2012: 2.7% 2016: 2.4%
Tradition: 2012: 1.8% 2016: 1.4%

If people were simply more open to identifying now that it's become normalized, we would see gains across generations. After all, there should be the same percentage of people born gay at any given time so the only reason for an increase at all is less fear of reprisal. Yet it seems only the young and impressionable are identifying more readily. Hmmm, who would have predicted that? Oh, that's right, me (and many other reasonably minded people).

But if that wasn't enough to convince you that, yes, I was indeed correct about what would happen. Take a look at the numbers since legalization of gay marriage by generation. (legalization, nation wide in June 2015)

Millenial: 2014: 6.3% 2016: 7.3%
Gen x: 2014: 3.4% 2016: 3.2%
Boomers: 2014: 2.7% 2016: 2.4%
Tradition: 2014: 1.9% 2016: 1.4%

Boomers should be identifying in much larger quantities if the theory of the left was to hold water as they're getting older and the legal benefits of marriage should be causing even those who wouldn't have otherwise identified, to identify. Gen Xers should see the same trend and millenials should be seeing just the results of less stigma. Yet again, only the young and impressionable millenials are showing gains. How is that possible? Well I was right, that's how.

Yes, some people are born with those urges. I'm not an idiot (I was right, after all) I know there are those out there who don't 'choose' one way or another. But people are stupid and many do choose one way or another, especially when something is normalized.

Data from Gallup. link

This is NOT a MUD PIT TOPIC and is NO LONGER in the Mud Pit!!!

You are responsible for your own posts.....those who ignore that responsibility will face mod actions.

Did anyone in this thread (I'm only on page 6ish) ever consider that besides lgbtq2 people's of the millennial generation feeling safer and more comfortable coming out, but that the dip among older generations like the x-ers and the boomers might be because of the aids epidemic?

By the year 2000 nearly 450,000 people in the US had died of aids. Most of them were lgbt. That's a good % of the community at the time that is just gone.

www.cdc.gov...

posted on Aug, 9 2017 @ 03:35 PM
link   
To the OP

YES, you were right, great prediction.

But this is not a bad thing. In fact it would be better for all
of us if this trend continues, and the numbers of the LGBT
demographic grow and grow.

Why?

LGBT's procreate less often than their hetero counterparts
and the human population is exploding at an exponential rate.

Pollution of the land, sea, and air...global warming, famine,
destruction of the rain forest and destruction other environmentally
beneficial areas of the planet. This and these are all caused by
the ongoing and impending human population explosion.

So this is a GOOD thing.

Thanks for the GREAT news.

posted on Aug, 9 2017 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Also, I just have to say, that the social change that has happened in the last 10 years in this country is astounding. People who are not queer will never be able to understand what it was/is like to be queer. There are certainly those that get it, and that empathise, and that want to help or understand more. But its like how someone who isn't black will never understand what it's like to be black. Or someone who isn't a woman, or a zebra, or speaks 7 languages and plays the cello. But, point being that people like the OP are no more than a vocal minority these days. The inclusion of lgbtq2 individuals by western society will be remembered as one of the great hallmarks of western society, not it's downfall.

posted on Aug, 9 2017 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I know people who have "come out" that had straight parents and basically grew up in an environment that was not what you would call gay friendly. He was a fellow football player who took part in all sorts of "manly" rituals and even took part in the usual locker room talk regarding women and hated on gays and usually was one of the worst. When he did come out, he lost many friends.

I have a cousin who has had two mothers since birth and is a happily married man with three children.

What I am saying, is that environment has nothing to do with someone being gay or straight.

That is like saying that at some point in everyone's life, they had a choice of whether or not they enjoyed the company of men or women.

As a straight male, never have I ever being attracted to males and females and then one day decided on only one. I have always been attracted to females and I am pretty sure that is how gay people feel, they just have always been attracted to the same sex.

I will never understand why you anti gays are so invested in what another human being does with their life, especially when it does not affect you in any way.

posted on Aug, 9 2017 @ 03:45 PM
link   
a reply to: rival

Siblings of homosexual people reproduce more. It's one of the biological and social functions of homosexuality (i.e. epigenetics).

Maybe everyone should just try and be good stewards of the planet instead of attributing way too much credit to a single demographic of people for it's current state.
edit on 8/9/2017 by UtopiaDistopia because: Too not to, duh

posted on Aug, 9 2017 @ 04:21 PM
link   

I do not believe it is a choice. However, there are those who 'make' it a choice. That is who I have issue with. It is 'fashionable' to be gay. However, those who choose to identify can always re-indentify where a person who is 'born' gay or transgender.

I have known people who were straight, then gay then bi and then got married and had kids. Men and women. It used to be experimentation because I think some people, as you had stated, psychologically have a reason whether it is low self worth, wanting to simply be loved , abused or a plethora of other reasons.

However, genetically, I think the marker is there at birth and it is outside influence that can change ones preference or indentity.

Again, have at it, as long as they have the same rights as all people do and laws do not favor on opinion or another. If a transgender can use a bathroom because they identify why should I be arrested using the ladies room because the mens room was full?

posted on Aug, 9 2017 @ 04:21 PM
link   
a reply to: kyleplatinum

Sorry, I should have said gender identity.

posted on Aug, 9 2017 @ 04:26 PM
link   
a reply to: UtopiaDistopia

I am really surprised that you used the "Q" word here.I have not
been allowed to even breathe that word since the mid-seventies!

posted on Aug, 9 2017 @ 04:26 PM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

Because gay people can't have "real " families. Orphaned, adopted, fostered, and mentored kids don't count. Biological kids barely count. Unless it's man-on-top-of-woman missionary style reproduction that results in at least 4 kids, it doesn't count. Might as well be a non sequentor.

posted on Aug, 9 2017 @ 04:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: mamabeth
a reply to: UtopiaDistopia

I am really surprised that you used the "Q" word here.I have not
been allowed to even breathe that word since the mid-seventies!

All us young folk use it, and for a damn good reason, y'all were on to something!

It's ok to be weird and different, and dare I say *gasp* queer. *more gasping, pearl clutching. A woman faints at the back of the room.*

Queer means that you don't have to chose or care abour any particular identity, but that you're definitely homo-somethingorwhatever. Or to steal from willam belli, the concept of being "trans" (pronounced trahns, with an "ah" A sound instead of the hard A sound). Which is when someone isn't gay, but they're..... something.

new topics

top topics

<< 21  22  23    25  26 >>

join