It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Just Want To Say I Told You So. RE: LGBT

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+19 more 
posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Back when the whole gay marriage debate was raging, I was assured by everyone who supported normalization, that more people wouldn't become gay/lesbian/bi/trans. After all, "its not something you choose," they said. Well, you were wrong. I was right. Hahaha. (I'm not actually laughing, this is quite sad).

Of course their reassurances were based on nothing more than wishful thinking and ignorance. We all know, no one acts in a vacuum and if you normalize any behavior, it encourages people to do things they wouldn't otherwise be inclined to do.

So here it is:
Since 2012 people identifying as LGBT has increased from 3.5% to 4.1% an increase of 17% (definitely not statistical noise). Giving even more credence to my assertion is that ALL of the gain came among millennials. No other generation saw an increase in LGBT identification.

Millenial: 2012: 5.8% 2016: 7.3% (That's an increase of 25% for those keeping score)
Gen x: 2012: 3.2% 2016: 3.2%
Boomers: 2012: 2.7% 2016: 2.4%
Tradition: 2012: 1.8% 2016: 1.4%

If people were simply more open to identifying now that it's become normalized, we would see gains across generations. After all, there should be the same percentage of people born gay at any given time so the only reason for an increase at all is less fear of reprisal. Yet it seems only the young and impressionable are identifying more readily. Hmmm, who would have predicted that? Oh, that's right, me (and many other reasonably minded people).

But if that wasn't enough to convince you that, yes, I was indeed correct about what would happen. Take a look at the numbers since legalization of gay marriage by generation. (legalization, nation wide in June 2015)

Millenial: 2014: 6.3% 2016: 7.3%
Gen x: 2014: 3.4% 2016: 3.2%
Boomers: 2014: 2.7% 2016: 2.4%
Tradition: 2014: 1.9% 2016: 1.4%

Boomers should be identifying in much larger quantities if the theory of the left was to hold water as they're getting older and the legal benefits of marriage should be causing even those who wouldn't have otherwise identified, to identify. Gen Xers should see the same trend and millenials should be seeing just the results of less stigma. Yet again, only the young and impressionable millenials are showing gains. How is that possible? Well I was right, that's how.

Yes, some people are born with those urges. I'm not an idiot (I was right, after all) I know there are those out there who don't 'choose' one way or another. But people are stupid and many do choose one way or another, especially when something is normalized.

Data from Gallup. link
edit on 8-8-2017 by Dfairlite because: (no reason given)

This is NOT a MUD PIT TOPIC and is NO LONGER in the Mud Pit!!!

You are responsible for your own posts.....those who ignore that responsibility will face mod actions.

edit on Tue Aug 8 2017 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

+37 more 
posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 12:41 AM
link   
I know this is super sad, I have a nephew who told my sister the other day that he wanted to become a girl.
It's a war on our children, I didn't even know what trans was until I was in high school, he is in 6th grade.

What will the next generation be dubbed generation "it"?

+40 more 
posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Keeping score of what people do with their private parts seems kinda weird.

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 12:52 AM
link   
I sometimes wish I could be gay.
It would simplify some issues.
But, damned if I ain't into crazy wermans.
Guess I was just borned that way.

link   
a reply to: sooth

I know right, the propagation of the species is only the most minor of concerns. The creation of human life is meaningless.

link   
Well I mean it's not really a score, it's a statistic, and as humans we tend to keep statistics on literally everything. a reply to: sooth

+10 more 
link   
a reply to: Dfairlite

Millennials have NO CLUE what they want in life and become easily confused or manipulated. I feel bad for the generation as they inherited a lot of problems that came with both globalization and social media propaganda. In today's society where you have to be on guard for political BS correctness it is no wonder more people are choosing to swing the other way so THEY don't have to be feared about normality bullying.

+17 more 
posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 12:53 AM
link   

So I guess we shouldn't allow people to choose how they want to live their personal lives then if and when they actually have a choice that is????

I mean I wasn't even given a choice. I was just born straight. Lucky for me I agreed with it and wouldn't want it any other way.

But for anyone who actually can choose for themselves, should we force them to choose what they don't want???

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 12:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Skywatcher2011

Exactly, and it will only get worse.

+3 more 
posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Seeing it is thought 10% of people are gay all you are showing is more people are coming out due to the acceptance of society not all gay folk come out hence still less then 10%.
Oh did you decide you was straight?
edit on 8-8-2017 by testingtesting because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 12:56 AM
link   

The interracial marriages were nothing but a wishful thinking.

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 12:56 AM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

Good job slipping the word force in there. I hadn't brought up force, but you tried to poison the well with it. But in case you weren't meaning to poison the well, I don't know, should we encourage productive behaviors or idle/detrimental ones?

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 12:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

Not on topic, nor even closely related.

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 12:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dfairlite

Not on topic, nor even closely related.

You're talking about marriages right? As per your OP?

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 01:01 AM
link   

Nope. I'm talking about whether more people would choose to be LGBT or not. I'm providing evidence that I was correct that they would. Nothing about rights (except in passing).

If I had mentioned dinosaurs, they also would not be the topic of this post.

+18 more 
posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 01:01 AM
link   
So? Who cares?

Why does who someone loves or wants to love impact you and how you live your life?

Does it make sleeping in on weekends harder?

Does it make scenic drives in the mountains worse?

Does it make your favorite song suddenly terrible?

Does it make your favorite foods disappear?

Who the hell cares who's gay and who's not? And maybe, just maybe with marriage being legal more people are deciding it's OK to admit they're gay?

And why is that suddenly such a bad thing?

Picture your day. Run the entire thing from start to finish in your mind. How does other people being gay stop you from choosing happiness or enjoyment all day long?

Short answer: it doesn't.

Own your feelings, own your perception. Own your reality.

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 01:02 AM
link   

What evidence that they are able to choose?

+2 more 
posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 01:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Skywatcher2011

I am a Millennial. I am not affected by globalization or political correctness. I am neither easily manipulated or sold. I hate everybody equally and never do as I am told. I run a business as well and I see just how F***** up people are in every generation. There is no filter, you all suck.

peace.

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 01:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Kettu

You obviously didn't read the OP. But why should I care? Because I love our society and our foundation. This is a direct threat to both of those things.

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Well, if we're talking about a persons personal life we should probably encourage whatever will result in the best personal experience for that person. The most happy and beneficial, etc.

Which I'm pretty sure people try to encourage whatever they think is the right choice now. However that doesn't mean they're correct all the time either. Nothing is ever that easy in life. We all make choices that we think are the correct ones that end up being bad choices later so it's not always easy to make the right choice.

But ultimately it's the person choosing that should be making the decision of their own accord. I don't have a problem with others giving their opinions when asked for or helping if asked for help. But nobody is stopping that now so there isn't a problem there.

It's still better for people to make their own choices in life, be them good or bad because they're the ones who will have to grow from it and deal with that choice. We all make bad choices and we all make good ones too. That's how it works. Why would this be any different???

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join