It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chip Reprograms Skin into Any Cell Type

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 01:38 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

Maybe I'm not getting this or maybe I am.

But could you turn skin cells into bone with something like this???

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 01:57 PM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

They have not done bone just types of single walled cells that perform cell functions. They have done skin cells to blood vessels, neurons, etc. The blood vessels would help bones recover (their study actually did that, kept a bone from dying by reconnecting up the blood flow) but I did not see they created bone itself.

Bones are trickier as they need a structure to grow on and have the blood vessels flow through. I think they can actually use carbon nanotubes to provide the scaffolding but as far as I know they "encourage" bone regrowth (it is like a shoe stretcher that elongates the bone slowly).

The re-injecting neurons into mice who had stroke damage and having them recover is just incredible!

Makes wonder about other neuron diseases like ALS, MS, and spinal cord injuries.

PS - Just a tech enthusiast and this is one of those stories that make my mind race!

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 02:03 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

It is amazing and make you wonder how far they can take it.

For example a complete repair of nerve damage and muscle loss in someone who's lost the use of their legs or arms in an accident. You could regrow the damaged areas and they could get full use of their body as if it never happened. Even the loss of muscle tissue from atrophy could be replaced.

If' I understand it correctly.

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 02:37 PM
link   

That is what I got from the announcement if you take it out to its logical conclusion.

Even something as simple as reconnecting nerve damage to hands/fingers would be wonderful news for some people I know.

Let alone combining with DNA editing tech like CRISPER where we could see the end of certain genetic diseases.

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 07:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

That is what I got from the announcement if you take it out to its logical conclusion.

Even something as simple as reconnecting nerve damage to hands/fingers would be wonderful news for some people I know.

Let alone combining with DNA editing tech like CRISPER where we could see the end of certain genetic diseases.

hey this reminds me of that virus from Metal gear solid 5. the one that made quiets skin seemingly grow back after being burned so bad.

posted on Aug, 9 2017 @ 05:40 PM
link   

This technology [tissue nanotransfection, TNT] may be used to repair injured tissue or restore function of aging tissue, including organs, blood vessels and nerve cells.

Researchers plan to start clinical trials next year to test this technology in humans, [Dr. Chandan] Sen said [Director of Ohio State’s Center for Regenerative Medicine & Cell Based Therapies]

The Ohio State University, News Aug. 7, 2017 - Ohio State researchers develop regenerative medicine breakthrough.

The start of clinical trials is a very good sign! Now to see if this gets buried in regulations and by the FDA.

I hope this works as well in humans as it has in mice and pigs.
edit on 9-8-2017 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: not a PR just a news item

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 10:15 PM
link   
And this is just the topic I always tell ats I joined to discuss but after deciding there isn't a soul who would believe me always staying silent. So Imagine my desperation and complete disenchantment to come here and see this type of technological pandoras box touted as a horsebacked hero approaching. This type of tech destroys lives like you havent seen yet.

posted on Aug, 12 2017 @ 08:12 AM
link   
a reply to: AlexandrosTheGreat

Why would this type of technological marvel destroy lives?

Seems to me it will give us the ability to shape life(biological matter) in to any form that's required at any given moment.

We may not have a Soul per-say in the religious interpretation of the notion but our brains seem to be linked and/or communicating with the quantum realm at some level or another. The implication could be that our consciousness emerges or even resides from or down there amongst the quantum foam.

Now imagine if we could somehow edit or shape matter/energy at the quantum level?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join