It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Miami-Dade complied with Trump to change its ‘sanctuary’ status. It worked

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Aug, 7 2017 @ 05:51 PM
link   
One of the few (if not the only) "Big City" Counties in the U.S. to actually go along with the Trump policies about "Sanctuary City" resistance to Federal "guidelines" about "how long to hold" and "Notify" Federal officials about illegal immigrants, Miami-Dade County has recieved recognition for it's participation.

The U.S. Justice Department has sent them a "Letter" confirming the cooperation.

Therefore, they will get some $480,000 in grant money for police.

See how easy it is ?

Miami-Dade complied with Trump to change its ‘sanctuary’ status. It worked

For the first time since it began extending the detentions of local inmates sought for deportation, Miami-Dade County received word from Washington that it won’t be treated as a community giving “sanctuary” to immigration violators.

An Aug. 4 letter to Mayor Carlos Gimenez from the Justice Department said “there was no evidence” Miami-Dade was out of compliance with an immigration provision of a federal police grant worth about $480,000 this year to the county.

Shortly after President Donald Trump took office promising an immigration crackdown, Gimenez reversed a 2013 county policy and ordered Miami-Dade jails to begin honoring requests by immigration officers to extend the detentions of people in local custody who are also being sought for possible deportation.

Miami-Dade is the only large jurisdiction known to have made that kind of change, which the County Commission endorsed in February. As a result, it has been assumed Miami-Dade would be shielded from any loss of federal funds the Trump administration engineered as part of a broader effort to punish communities not cooperating on immigration detentions.

posted on Aug, 7 2017 @ 05:53 PM
link   
It'd be nice to revisit this thread in a year and check if the crime rate reduces.

posted on Aug, 7 2017 @ 06:25 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

I'm in Miami-Dade county.

We used to have the El Salvador consulate in my old work building.

I can confirm that Miami-Dade would bring in inmates to be deported to the consulate.

And this was around that time. You'd see about a dozen inmates being brought in.

posted on Aug, 7 2017 @ 06:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Tempter

Watching the news every morning.

I'd say it hasn't had that much of an effect. People are still being shot and robbed. Most of the perps are not immigrants.

posted on Aug, 7 2017 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Did they finally fire that Lois Einhorn boss???

She was Ray Finkle ya know...
LACES OUT DAN

S&F Xue
Bookmark for future reference!!!

Great Work as of late👍
edit on 7-8-2017 by iWontGiveUP because: Ref

posted on Aug, 7 2017 @ 06:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tempter
It'd be nice to revisit this thread in a year and check if the crime rate reduces.

Ummm...Ooohhh...good point...

That...coupled with all the self deportations taking place...maybe the country could actually be about the business of cleaning up some of these inner cities...perhaps if some self pride were helped to flourish in these communities...then it might go a long way to solving some of these generational issues that seem to plague places where hope and manufacturing fled...

Maybe...

YouSir

posted on Aug, 7 2017 @ 06:31 PM
link   
a reply to: grey580

You should move up here to Tampa. It is a lot more peaceful, and gangs pretty much do not exist anymore. Not to mention the police are about a hundred times more competent and professional and courteous.

Miami has its plus's too though I guess. I think St. Pete mayor made it a sanctuary city last year too. Lets hope they are deprived of Federal funding until compliance.

posted on Aug, 7 2017 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Well for sure there will be a reduction of illegal immigrant releases into the wild !!

posted on Aug, 7 2017 @ 06:47 PM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

I know a person or two up in Tampa.

Miami while not perfect. Isn't that horrible.

My wifes in laws live in opa locka. And that place has seen some major changes.

Miami is ever evolving an hopefully it gets better.

posted on Aug, 7 2017 @ 06:50 PM
link   

$480,000 in grant money? Police get paid what, $80,000? So the city gains 6 more police officers for cooperating?

I guess that's one way to look at it. Lose all that sales tax revenue in exchange for getting 12% of $480,000 in grants that may not be annually renewed.

posted on Aug, 7 2017 @ 07:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

$480,000 in grant money? Police get paid what, $80,000? So the city gains 6 more police officers for cooperating?

I guess that's one way to look at it. Lose all that sales tax revenue in exchange for getting 12% of $480,000 in grants that may not be annually renewed.

ummm

(regular day jobs not at risk)
(sound familiar?)

posted on Aug, 7 2017 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Oh and they will be in a holding cell being fed for months while trump continues to jam the courts up, possibly having to build new private prisons to house them.

www.foxnews.com...

Ooops more propaganda from trump.

posted on Aug, 7 2017 @ 08:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: luthier

Oh and they will be in a holding cell being fed for months while trump continues to jam the courts up, possibly having to build new private prisons to house them.

www.foxnews.com...

posted on Aug, 7 2017 @ 08:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

originally posted by: luthier

www.foxnews.com...

Very clever

However, if it were not propaganda the courts would be expanded prior to a stronger enforcement, and they would go after employers where they can gather hundreds at a time and then fine or seize the assets of those employers to pay for their mess rather than the tax payers.

But it's a gimmick. So reality doesn't matter.

posted on Aug, 7 2017 @ 08:58 PM
link   
a reply to: luthier

What strikes me is, it is just another federal welfare program. They get to sit in jail while the taxpayers from other states support them.

posted on Aug, 7 2017 @ 09:02 PM
link   
a reply to: MOMof3

Yep. That is my point.

It looks real cool to release press about programs. Then you look at the reality and it's that more arrests equal not more deportations when you don't expand immigration courts drastically.

If it were the real deal ice would be hitting poultry plants and such. Then use the money the confiscate from their employers to fund more expansion or enforcement.

But hey don't touch the donors.

posted on Aug, 7 2017 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Look at what it did for Phoenix, AZ.

Here’s what happened to crime when Phoenix dropped ‘sanctuary city’ policies

Fox News reported that the murder rate in Phoenix fell by 27 percent, robberies fell by 23 percent, and assault fell by 13 percent. Even more minor crimes fell, with burglaries by 14 percent and theft by 19 percent.

Let the Democrats funnel illegals into their dystopian poverty-dens, and see how long it takes to reach Mad Max levels of crime.

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 03:29 AM
link   
What irks me is people never seem to use common sense,what do you think will happen when you invite everyone to your country,give them free benefits,and tell the public that do work and pay taxes,now with addition to paying for your family,you will pay for a bunch more,and they are first to take money from your paycheck,it's there in black and white!,or some new printers may have color,but the same,laws were thought of for a reason

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 03:29 AM
link   
What irks me is people never seem to use common sense,what do you think will happen when you invite everyone to your country,give them free benefits,and tell the public that do work and pay taxes,now with addition to paying for your family,you will pay for a bunch more,and they are first to take money from your paycheck,it's there in black and white!,or some new printers may have color,but the same,laws were thought of for a reason

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 06:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Oldtimer2

The actual reason this was allowed ws to exploit the workers. The benifits were tax payer subsidies to those industries using illegal labor. The real problem here is the employers to the employees.

What did they expect would happen when you could swim over with a hammer and get a job no problem.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join