It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dio Returns Tour

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2017 @ 03:35 PM
link   

After debuting at last year's Wacken festival in Germany, a hologram of late heavy-metal singer Ronnie James Dio will set out on a world tour, backed by musicians who played with him, this fall. The trek, dubbed "Dio Returns," will kick off with a European leg of performances in theaters on November 30th in Helsinki before hitting South America, Australia and Asia. The tour will arrive in the U.S. in the spring of 2018 and hit select festivals next summer.

The Dio estate has worked with hologram company Eyellusion so the singing specter could perform many of the late vocalist's hits, including "Holy Diver," "Rainbow in the Dark," "We Rock," "King of Rock and Roll," Black Sabbath's "Neon Knights" and "Heaven and Hell" and Rainbow's "Man on the Silver Mountain," among others. The production uses audio of Dio's live performances from throughout his career with a live band backing him up in front of a stage set that hearkens back to the singer's Sacred Heart and Dream Evil tours. The hologram's set will differ from night to night, and audiences should expect to see the Dio Band also perform with vocalists Tim "Ripper" Owens and Oni Logan on select dates.

Rollingstone.com - Ronnie James Dio Hologram Plots World Tour.

:horns:

I was not sure if this should go in the technology forum. Music seems appropriate in this forum.

The one, the only, Ronnie James Dio will be on stage, "live" and playing with the band again! Yeah, it is as a hologram but the musicians will be live. The tour is not a one-off either. But a real, world tour! The hologram is kind of a gimmick but to see Dio in a concert setting one last time makes up for the cashing in criticism. Some kids have never heard of Elf. Some young adults were not born when Rainbow came out (43 years ago! Cripes, has it really been that long?) let alone the Heaven and Hell tour.

Who doesn't need a rainbow in the dark every now and then?

posted on Aug, 7 2017 @ 03:38 PM
link   
He did it!

If anyone makes it back from the dead its either
1(A). Jesus
2(B). Ronnie Dio

posted on Aug, 7 2017 @ 03:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Butterfinger

Check it out!

YouTube by Eyellusion - Official video

:horns:

posted on Aug, 7 2017 @ 04:28 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

That's pretty cool, Dio is amazing!!!

posted on Aug, 7 2017 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Flippin' eck!!!
At first I thought you meant ACTUALLY RETURNED but now I see what you mean.
That's a pretty good effect.
Saw him with Sabbath when they toured Heaven and Hell. We all thought it was going to be bad cos, you know, Ozzy was like god for us in those days but I have to admit he just took it and ran.

posted on Aug, 7 2017 @ 04:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Staroth

I saw a story about converting some old footage but to have him holding a flag from the concert?! That is pretty cool.

The company is doing the whole set up as an actual concert with lighting, pyro, sound, etc. They want you to experience a concert and not just sit there watching some lump of technology.

Yeah, I missed his last show through. I heard it! But it was too late for tickets, plans, etc. Being skint doesn't help either. So I would probably go this show!

a reply to: Tulpa

I just used the actual Tour name for the thread title! The article name kind of gave away the surprise!

edit on 7-8-2017 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: tag on reply

posted on Aug, 7 2017 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Ah man Iv been waiting for This to happen every since they made a 2Pac hologram dance at Coachella a few years ago.

I'm not sure I would watch this for free.
I'd rather see a human impersonator.

Good luck to the musicians trying to make a buck, they probably need it.

posted on Aug, 7 2017 @ 04:49 PM
link   
a reply to: SteamyJeans

The company, Eyellusion, says they are starting with Dio but are talking with other acts/musicians so you may see more.

This is all being done in coordination with the Dio estate. The band loved him as much as most of us did so I'm glad they get to perform together. I'm glad we as fans get one more chance to see a legend.

I've said it before...

Frikkin' lasers!

posted on Aug, 7 2017 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Now lets have a Beatles reunion with Paul and Ringo playing live. Hey! Then the original DOORS, JANIS JOPLIN and JIMI! JIMI HENDRIX LIVE!....um...still DEAD...but..but.. LIVE! Hey and the GREATFUL DEAD TOO!!!!

ALL LIVE!!!!!!!!

AI is getting too weird....and of course the price of tickets will be more expensive for DIO and the rest than they were when they were really A-LIVE!
edit on 7-8-2017 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2017 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Am I seeing more CGI than RJD?

I'm with one of the posters who already mentioned, I don't think I would see this, free even.

posted on Aug, 7 2017 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Wow that's pretty interesting.
I have been a huge Dio fan over the years and saw him many times in concert.... I was too young to see Elf and Rainbow though.
I would go to this just for nostalgic reasons alone.

posted on Aug, 7 2017 @ 05:35 PM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

There is kind a Futurama "head in a jar" kind of aspect to this.

Why not seal the deal? We can digitize Cher and the cockroaches and tardigrades will have something to listen and dance to at the end of the world!

a reply to: StallionDuck

They did digitize footage from various periods of his career. I get your feeling too. Seeing his wife there with his hologram was a little creepy (when I first saw this story).

a reply to: RazorV66

I've seen laser shows (Pink Floyd was cool) so I'd probably go. Better than a movie!

posted on Aug, 7 2017 @ 06:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: TEOTWAWKIAIFF
a reply to: mysterioustranger

There is kind a Futurama "head in a jar" kind of aspect to this.

Why not seal the deal? We can digitize Cher and the cockroaches and tardigrades will have something to listen and dance to at the end of the world!

a reply to: StallionDuck

They did digitize footage from various periods of his career. I get your feeling too. Seeing his wife there with his hologram was a little creepy (when I first saw this story).

I've seen laser shows (Pink Floyd was cool) so I'd probably go. Better than a movie!

Yeah I saw the Pink Floyd laser stuff too, it was pretty good.
If you ever get a chance to see Trans-Siberian Orchestra around Christmas time, check it out...the light show is amazing but bring sunglasses if you sit close to the stage lol.

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Trans-Siberian Orchestra would be awesome!

I caught a clip of Taylor Swift on some show about producing music. Holy Jebus! That was bright! How many lights need to be on stage? It was all word clock synched with her dance moves, took like 3 people to run the board,... it as gotten a bit out of hand (in some ways).

Just give me some loud guitar, a good drum beat, and Dio singing at me! I don't mind if he is a hologram and looks a little too CGI like a video game.

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 06:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

Trans-Siberian Orchestra would be awesome!

They are awesome!
Here are a few pics that I took from about 10 years ago at my 1st TSO concert.
We were sitting 12th row main floor...I think I was using a crappy Motorola phone camera.
Every year I saw them after that, I wore sunglasses lol
When they lit off all the lights and lasers in those racks above the crowd there in the pics, the temp rose about 10+ degrees.
The pics I took of that were just washed out.

new topics

top topics

join