It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Marijuana devastated Colorado, don’t legalize it nationally

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 11:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake
a reply to: Krazysh0t
Fact is the hypocrisy that surrounds Marijuana and the consumption of such is based on lies, fear, and ignorance.

And the arguments deployed to try to slow down or reverse legalization are weak and shallow. Like the "people will smoke at work" argument.

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 02:13 PM
link   
From USA today this is the stance one can expect. If you read it regularly then your views are likely aligned. Therefore your mind is already made up for you and there is no purpose to discourse.

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 02:23 PM
link   
I wondered how realistic this was how much of it is fact based since statistics can be bent to any agenda then I read this...

Jeff Hunt is the Vice President of Public Policy at Colorado Christian University.

Then I found this...
Jeff Hunt
Vice President of Public Policy, Colorado Christian University
Director, Centennial Institute

Jeff earned his BA degrees in Philosophy and Religious Studies from Westmont College, Master of Divinity from Fuller Theological Seminary, and Master of Political Management from George Washington University. He has served as Media Coordinator for the Senate Republican Conference, Director of Operations of the Clapham Group, Special Assistant to Senator Rick Santorum in his 2012 White House bid, and Director of Colorado Coalitions for Mitt Romney’s 2012 presidential campaign. He was the founder of Avinova Media Group, a digital media marketing firm based in Colorado.

And that is all I needed to know, prolly wrote this while having a glass of wine or tea you pick...lol

Pretty sure now I wouldn't even trust his "Opinion" with facts as most far Rights like this dildo don't believe in real facts...
edit on pmbAmerica/ChicagovAmerica/ChicagoTue, 08 Aug 2017 14:26:53 -0500pm2America/Chicago by abeverage because: smoke up

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 02:41 PM
link   
I can understand how a lot of people in Colorado are going to lose their jobs. Many places have drug testing policies testing employees before and randomly throughout employment. Most of these companies use a less reliable EMIT test that produces a lot of false positives. If you test positive you are fired instantly and have to prove your innocence by paying for an out of pocket expensive GC/MS test. If it is legal in Colorado it doesn't trump the companies own policies. Does it?

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 02:44 PM
link   
a reply to: TamtammyMacx

Wouldn't the same apply to alcohol consumption too? That is legal to buy and use, but does not overrule your employer's requirements. If someone knows they will be tested (for drugs OR alcohol) don't you think they know that already? Why would this suddenly change and make people willingly stupid all of a sudden?

I fail to see how this thought process applies, as it only feeds into the FUD surrounding this topic.

Stop spreading FUD (Fear Uncertainty, and Doubt), don't be that person here.

edit on 8/8/2017 by Krakatoa because: spelling and additional thought

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 09:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: rickymouse

What do you think is worse? People potentially smoking pot at work because it is legal or people being arrested for smoking pot because it is illegal?

I was a foreman or the owner of a construction business for most of my working career. I know how smoking cannabis effects the work on the job. I do not think anyone should drink on the job either, but there are policies on that where you can fire the employee for drinking or being drunk on the job. Now the same goes for illegal drugs like cannabis, but if they make it legal it might not be easy to regulate it because the employee is not breaking any laws. An employer can create rules like no smoking tobacco on the job, but an employee can go smoke on his break off site. Now, the buzz from cannabis is not nearly the same as tobacco, so smoking on break can't be allowed because it effects the work.

I know or knew a lot of people who toked, the smoking negatively effected their job preformance. It did negatively effect mine when I did that too, I learned that forty years ago. I did my teens and twenties in the seventies and early eighties, I know the effects of cannabis. Even if the cannabis is for medical use, it can effect job preformance. Some meds do that too, I do not think that the Pharma companies should be pushing those kinds of meds without informing the patient in plain layman's terms that they alter perception.

posted on Aug, 9 2017 @ 04:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: hombero
From USA today this is the stance one can expect. If you read it regularly then your views are likely aligned. Therefore your mind is already made up for you and there is no purpose to discourse.

Pretty much though, I checked where it was shared. Such as to the Yahoo front page when it first came out. Probably meant to try to sway the masses who may not be on one side of the media or other and or unaware of this deception when just in general using Yahoo for other products. Pretty deceptive.
edit on 9-8-2017 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2017 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Lol to all of that.

It's real simple in construction. You fire people who can't do their work. Cannabis is not some massive problem like you explain I have been a cabinet maker carpenter and luthier for 25 years. I have worked in very high end shops making boutique instruments with people who use Marijuana and don't do it at work.

You can test for thc if there is an accident. A piss test to fire system is stupid and we are literally the only country in the world that uses it frequently. Yet people are not falling off buildings everyday in Germany.

If your worker does good work you shouldn't fire him because he took a yearly piss test and showed metabolites that could be from 2 weeks ago on a Sat night.

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 04:43 AM
link   

Utter poppycock.

Alcohol is legal, but you cannot turn up to work drunk every day, sipping from your hip flask every quarter hour to keep your buzz going without being fired, and no court in the land would fail to support an employer who fired someone for being drunk on the job, leave alone actually DRINKING on the job. By the same measure, someone turning up stoned, or GETTING stoned at work, should be fired, not because there is anything necessarily wrong with smoking or drinking, but because there IS something wrong with failing to respect the workplace, and failing to adopt the workmanlike mindset that employment requires.

There is nothing wrong with a fellow having a drink in the evening after work, and there is nothing wrong with someone coming to the end of the working day, stepping out of the premise in which they work, and sparking up a joint. There IS something wrong with someone stumbling through the working day either drunk, or high however, so it is upon employees to ensure that while they are at work, they are not actively engaging in becoming either drunk or high, and that they arrive at work in a fit state to complete their work to an acceptable standard. Work time is for working.

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 04:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: slapjacks

How many people have died from Marijuana? What are these "dangers" ?

Zero. Zip. Zilch. None. It is literally impossible to die from over-consumption of cannabis.

The estimated LD-50 (lethal threshold) for marijuana, established in 1988 by the DEA’s appropriate fact-finder, is 1:20,000 or 1:40,000.

“At present it is estimated that marijuana’s LD-50 is around 1:20,000 or 1:40,000. In layman terms this means that in order to induce death a marijuana smoker would have to consume 20,000 to 40,000 times as much marijuana as is contained in one marijuana cigarette. NIDA-supplied marijuana cigarettes weigh approximately .9 grams. A smoker would theoretically have to consume nearly 1,500 pounds of marijuana within about fifteen minutes to induce a lethal response.

edit on 18/8/2017 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 04:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Didn't EVEN call ,I see how you are...

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 04:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Kryties

NONSENSE, if YOU hook up a BONG to a vacuum and mate to a GAS MASK you CAN suffocate from NO oxygen...

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 05:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: cavtrooper7

NONSENSE, if YOU hook up a BONG to a vacuum and mate to a GAS MASK you CAN suffocate from NO oxygen...

Yeah, the point being NO OXYGEN. I am not surprised someone dies from NO OXYGEN, are you?

Scientific studies have PROVEN that it is impossible to die from cannabis smoking alone - and I'm not talking about attaching it to a facemask and depriving yourself of oxygen to do so.

What you stated has NOTHING to do with the cannabis and EVERYTHING to do with the lack of oxygen.

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 05:07 AM
link   
USA today isn't FROM Colorado THEY are a liberal rag.
Well I hope they remember..
A Colorado MAN don't need them around anyhow.
Denver is pissed and angry anyway...
Colorado Springs Is superior in SO many ways...people SMILE even the homeless all the SLOW drivers get into WRECKS on Academy...and WE have 5 model shops where Denver MAY have 3...and you can OWN an "Assault Weapon" here where as DENVER'S charter was created BEFORE the state of Colorado,so THEY can confiscate( But don't..THEY AREN'T stupid ) Kind of like the Magazine law YES you cannot buy a 30 rd magazine here ..but YOU CAN buy KITS(disassembled mags) so WE AREN'T going away nor will the....

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 07:22 AM
link   
The public was given a choice and voted in favor of legalization so that should be the end. Otherwise, it leads to banning everything which might be a danger to the public, where does it stop, alcohol, tobacco, but also sex (STD's), dangerous sports, there's a long list even things people are so used to they don't perceive dangers.

The answer is education, it's all new, there's a lot of work ahead. It might take forever, compared to alcohol which still causes problems today even if it's around for a longer time. Cannabis should ideally be used when it adds something to some experience like going to a concert, movie or just couchsurfing but not for studying, work or social settings when others don't use cannabis. It's used best in vaporizers and electronic cigarettes instead of tobacco. As with all things it should be used in moderation. It's better to use in the evenings and not earlier because it might waste productivity even if it means just getting groceries or cleaning.

The main benefit of marijuana is people will relax more as a society. With society becoming increasingly more complicated and less time for everything some people need drugs to slow them down. Especially in this time of rapid technological developments but also with increased risk of terrorist attacks and all the disruptions and stories of human suffering many of which were already there but only coming to light in this era of mass communication.

It's most helpful for people who don't want to go to therapy, don't want psychiatric medication, or go to church, don't want to go anywhere to seek help but do need to change for themselves and others around them. It's a great way to sit down and do nothing, relax and think about things in general in a slower pace without any pressure. It allows a person to think about difficult things in an unattached manner because cannabis can make a user care less about things. Which is also the trap; people do need to understand it's temporary and they need to get up again afterwards or their hopes and dreams might go up in smoke over the course of time and lives would be wasted.

originally posted by: Kryties

originally posted by: slapjacks

How many people have died from Marijuana? What are these "dangers" ?

Zero. Zip. Zilch. None. It is literally impossible to die from over-consumption of cannabis.

I don't agree, it's true there's nothing like a THC overdose but there are dangers and deaths or accidents in which cannabis was somehow involved.
There's obviously disease from smoking, vaporizing might be less harmful but it's still not healthy and can lead to an earlier death. Also electronic cigarettes for adding the nicotine are less harmful, but same story. And traffic accidents, even though people shouldn't be intoxicated while participating in traffic, or doing anything serious/nonrecreational. And there have been enough people who mentally died, the stereotype stoner who doesn't want to interact with others and becomes a hollow shell with little expressions, less social activities which is a danger too like neglecting oneself and difficulty to get a job and ending up on the streets, although after legalization I assume they'll fit right in working at the many farms.

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 08:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: spliffster

I don't agree, it's true there's nothing like a THC overdose but there are dangers and deaths or accidents in which cannabis was somehow involved.
There's obviously disease from smoking, vaporizing might be less harmful but it's still not healthy and can lead to an earlier death. Also electronic cigarettes for adding the nicotine are less harmful, but same story.

The dangers from "smoking" are actually in the radioactive carcinogens that are present in tobacco because of the method of farming. Nicotine itself is also not cancer-causing or dangerous beyond being the addictive portion of the cigarette.

There is no danger whatsoever, from a medical sense, in smoking cannabis. Multiple studies have proven that cannabis smoking does not cause negative medical effects like tobacco does.

And traffic accidents, even though people shouldn't be intoxicated while participating in traffic, or doing anything serious/nonrecreational.

I agree to a point, but will note that several studies have been done testing the effects of cannabis on driving and in the majority of cases it actually improved their driving rather than hindered it. Being stoned makes you more careful, not reckless. Of course, more study needs to be done to confirm these findings.

And there have been enough people who mentally died, the stereotype stoner who doesn't want to interact with others and becomes a hollow shell with little expressions, less social activities which is a danger too like neglecting oneself and difficulty to get a job and ending up on the streets, although after legalization I assume they'll fit right in working at the many farms.

It has been known for a long time that cannabis smoking can exacerbate pre-existing conditions like mental disorders. Exactly the same alcohol does. Would you suggest that a person suffering schizophrenia drink alcohol? No. Same with cannabis.

Apart from that, there are plenty of fully functioning cannabis smokers in society that ARENT lazy or antisocial. As 2 of many examples, did you know Shakespeare smoked cannabis daily? Did you know Morgan Freeman smokes it daily and extols its virtues at every chance he gets? You would be shocked to find out how many fully functioning members of society smoke cannabis. The ones you describe are akin to alcoholics - the only difference being alcohol causes violence and WILL kill you, cannabis does none of those things.

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 12:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

Utter poppycock.

Alcohol is legal, but you cannot turn up to work drunk every day, sipping from your hip flask every quarter hour to keep your buzz going without being fired, and no court in the land would fail to support an employer who fired someone for being drunk on the job, leave alone actually DRINKING on the job. By the same measure, someone turning up stoned, or GETTING stoned at work, should be fired, not because there is anything necessarily wrong with smoking or drinking, but because there IS something wrong with failing to respect the workplace, and failing to adopt the workmanlike mindset that employment requires.

There is nothing wrong with a fellow having a drink in the evening after work, and there is nothing wrong with someone coming to the end of the working day, stepping out of the premise in which they work, and sparking up a joint. There IS something wrong with someone stumbling through the working day either drunk, or high however, so it is upon employees to ensure that while they are at work, they are not actively engaging in becoming either drunk or high, and that they arrive at work in a fit state to complete their work to an acceptable standard. Work time is for working.

I used to toke years ago. I never did it at work and I did not allow my workers to do it at work. I was a foreman and had to enforce rules. But some times I know they did and if I didn't say anything to them about it they would have been doing it more and more often. I never fired anyone for it, but I did lay some workers off in the fall and never called them back because of them smoking at work.

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 07:17 PM
link   

AH my semantic jouster POT was what was used ...LOSE again..

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Gee My VA Primary care disagree with your diagnosis.
COPD is a TERRIBLE thing to use pot if you have it.
OBVIOUSLY tar exists...DUH...

posted on Aug, 20 2017 @ 05:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kryties
The dangers from "smoking" are actually in the radioactive carcinogens that are present in tobacco because of the method of farming. Nicotine itself is also not cancer-causing or dangerous beyond being the addictive portion of the cigarette.

There is no danger whatsoever, from a medical sense, in smoking cannabis. Multiple studies have proven that cannabis smoking does not cause negative medical effects like tobacco does.

I'm still not entirely convinced, smoking is simply less healthier than non-smoking and nicotine has proven possible negative physical effects. For myself I need rest, relaxation which I can't get enough without but I'm learning and smoke a less than I used to.

I agree to a point, but will note that several studies have been done testing the effects of cannabis on driving and in the majority of cases it actually improved their driving rather than hindered it. Being stoned makes you more careful, not reckless. Of course, more study needs to be done to confirm these findings.

Nah I don't buy that. It might be some people were stressed too much and/or preoccupied with other things while driving, then smoking cannabis might make them care less and become less occupied so attention might shift to the present, the moment but in general it's a drug, it is an alternative mindset what you say is like an alcoholic stating drinking and driving is a good thing because it makes you pay extra attention. I would never participate in traffic while under the influence. There's just no reason why people would need to smoke cannabis and drive, it's better to take a cab, public transportation or just spending the night after an evening of enjoying some cannabis.

I didn't know that about Shakespeare, makes somewhat sense lol.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join