It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Sweet nectar of Anti-Trump Schadenfreude

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+64 more 
posted on Aug, 6 2017 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Schadenfreude—In a soul as malicious as it is tribal resides the resounding pleasure in the misfortune of others. Understandably, schadenfreude increases when it involves one’s enemy, ideological or otherwise. It is more pronounced, still, when that enemy is named Donald Trump.

One needs only to read the news to witness the joy (and the profit-motive) in the tribal gloating over Donald Trump’s failures and gaffes, but never his success. After all, a main principle of journalism—fairness—has all but disappeared. Every hit-piece, every “bombshell”, every joke and satire, whether it involves his appearance and mannerisms, his past, his words, his relationships, his business dealings, but mostly the fantasy and conspiracy theory, is meant to discredit and dehumanize rather than inform the public. The smears perpetrated by political operatives and their media allies have left enough of a lasting mark on the feeble-minded that they would want nothing more than to see Trump’s downfall, and to gloat and cheer while doing so. Bad news for Trump always means good news for them. The cries of impeachment and resistance attests to this. The problem is that those addicted to schadenfreude would see the whole thing burned to the ground so long as it meant political victory, and the satiation of their addiction.

According to a study by the University of Kentucky, party affiliation and the intensity of in-group identification strongly predicted schadenfreude in politics, even when the results meant objectively negative misfortune for innocents and society at large—economic downturn, the lives of soldiers, for instance. Political gain, once again, has proven more beneficial to tribal solipsists than the success and failures of their own societies. This is true of every party, candidate, and election.

But the misfortune has been exasperated under Trump. The addicts have personally funded the debasement and discrediting of the 4th estate, its decline into yellow journalism and decadence, as it clamoured to smear a democratically-elected individual they do not approve of. They said nothing as the so-called unbiased media picked a side, even colluding with the opposition, thereby destroying the principles of journalism. They stood by and even gloated as Trump’s private conversations, his personal details, his private relationships, even his presidential phone calls, were leaked and sensationalized for political gain, setting a dangerous precedent in matters of privacy and national security. They reported loudly the various hate crimes in order to further their hateful claims, but did nothing when those stories turned out to be false and even perpetrated by the supposed victims, discrediting the historical advancement of their own culture. They presumed guilt before innocence with every single unsubstantiated allegation, spitting on that human right. They support the various witch-hunts, the unmasking, the entrenched and unelected bureaucracy, all of which has led to nothing but the erosion of the political process. They ramped up anti-Russian rhetoric, even to the point of advocating all out war. They participated in the marches, the riots, the destruction of property, the assault against voters, the protests against their own government, as if some injustice had been committed, but do absolutely nothing for real, actual injustices throughout the world. They brushed off both the symbolic and the actual attempts of assassination against a democratically-elected leader and his party as if they were nothing, and had a hand in disseminating the very propaganda that convinced the perpetrators to do it.

All of this and more for the sweet sweet satisfaction that only schadenfreude could offer.

Thank you for reading,

LesMis

+26 more 
posted on Aug, 6 2017 @ 06:01 PM
link   
If Trump could just contain his megalomaniacal continual boasting and self adoration there would be a much smoother ride for him.
Some people just cant stand a braggart , and I guess some lap it up.

+21 more 
posted on Aug, 6 2017 @ 06:05 PM
link   
a reply to: vonclod

If Trump could just contain his megalomaniacal continual boasting and self adoration there would be a much smoother ride for him.

It's true that Schadenfreude becomes more of an issue when it involves an arrogant and successful braggart. People want nothing more than to see him stumble, knocked down a peg or two, because "he deserves it". But this in its self is a form of arrogance, one that is far more malicious.

+21 more 
posted on Aug, 6 2017 @ 06:09 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

I always look forward to your posts and wish I could be half as good at writing as you. Thank you for sharing another insightful post with our community.

+44 more 
posted on Aug, 6 2017 @ 06:09 PM
link   
If Trump reached inside a Lion cage and saved a toddler from the jaws of death the headline would be, " Trump steals food from kittens".

+1 more 
posted on Aug, 6 2017 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Shadenfreude.
Why do I suddenly crave a German beer?

+4 more 
posted on Aug, 6 2017 @ 06:15 PM
link   

I just wish he'd shut up and get on with it..he should quite talking about how great he is and just do great things..the accolades will come if deserved..well, most of the time I would think so but he has painted himself into a corner.
JM2C

posted on Aug, 6 2017 @ 06:19 PM
link   
As a business person once somebody is elected I want them to do well, if nothing else for the economy. But I'm not caught up totally in party affiliations anyway. 4 years is a long time hoping to get your side in,not to mention kind of lost faith that the Feds can be effective anyway, just don't want them to screw up too much.

+2 more 
posted on Aug, 6 2017 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Always dropping gem's

posted on Aug, 6 2017 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Great post
and so true . At this point in the game it has become evident to those watching who not only the institutions are but their many minions flooding the comment sections singing in harmony with one has to assume are nothing more the AI bots .There may even be some here ...not the bots but you know what I mean .

posted on Aug, 6 2017 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Schadenfreude has reached epidemic proportions, honestly. Not just politically imo, either.

Somebody needs to figure out how to exorcise the spirit of Tonya Harding that's apparently gripped and possessed the nation by and large.

I say let braggarts be braggarts. If they got the gold to back up their currency, then why shouldn't they be confident and open about it? As long as it's safe and there's no imminent threat to being attacked, then I can dig it. But if they don't have the gold to back up their currency then exposure and humiliation is inevitable... all in due time. Still, the person boasting about things they don't really have, is just looking for love. Some kindness and encouragement could do them a lot of good and reinforce a new direction for them.

Either way, people are so freakin judgey nowadays.

But I admit I'm not excluded from my own judgement of people being judgey. Clearly I'm judgey, too.

Thanks for sharing the thoughts, OP.

+14 more 
posted on Aug, 6 2017 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Any president that wants to be treated like a king and rule by decree (issuing executive orders instead of compromising and working with both sides of government) deserves to be ripped apart by the media and the population.

This is America. We don't do kings over here.

posted on Aug, 6 2017 @ 06:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod

Or a liar...just saying.

posted on Aug, 6 2017 @ 06:27 PM
link   

I just wish people would spell correctly whilst criticizing others.

posted on Aug, 6 2017 @ 06:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod

Those Trump traits are being subdued as we speak. General Kelly is seeing to it, and he has the President's full approval.

posted on Aug, 6 2017 @ 06:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Wide-Eyes

Makes sense if I was criticising his spelling right?

posted on Aug, 6 2017 @ 06:31 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

I think he will have a smoother ride if true.

posted on Aug, 6 2017 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall.

It's comforting to see justice every now and then. Karma is a bitch!

I have to also say that I derive to joy from the suffering of others, not even Donald Trump. But, just because one will suffer from it, that doesn't mean that we should not apply and rejoice in justice served.

posted on Aug, 6 2017 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Okay, fair point. How exactly has he painted himself into a corner?

+11 more 
posted on Aug, 6 2017 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Yes, I would receive great pleasure in seeing Trump out of office, so I guess I am guilty of Schadenfreude.

Oh, btw, replace "Trump" with "Obama", and "Russia" with "whatever thing you all hated Obama for" in your OP. Go on, try it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join